• This topic has 72 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Sandwich cutting
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Diagonal, horizontal (3-9 or the lesser spotted 12-6) or bareback (no cut).

I’m going with diagonal, unless the filling is particularly delicate, sausage sarnies get the horizontal treatment.

Also, wholemeal or white? Don’t give me that half n half rubbish, it’s as bad as crustless bread!

I’m a wholemeal man.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Horizontal 3 – 9 if going in the backpack.

10 – 4 just to be different if at home. ‘cos it upsets the Mrs 😈

rocketman
    Free Member

sandwiches forbidden on iDave diet

TimP
    Free Member

Diagonal is Mrs P’s preference but is much more difficult to wrap in clingfilm so we both go for the 9-3 straight horizontal for the working lunch. TBH I prefer a horizontal cut as the diagonal to me gives the impression of more crust to middle. I do dabble with the diagonal at the weekends though as it looks better on the plate with a kettle crisp/salad garnish in a pub style.

NEVER more than 1 cut though

philconsequence
    Free Member

10-4 here too. wholemeal.

binners

I only thought people cut sandwiches diagonally in BBC period drama’s, or at Wimbledon? 😉

And what is this ‘wholemeal’ of which you speak?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Horizontal 12-6 here, hate it when they’re cut 3-9. Nice to have a bit of top on each sandwich, rather than one inferior bottom sandwich

HermanShake
    Free Member

That’s true, the 9-3 is better for taking with. I’ve read lots of mentions of the iDave diet, what’s the gist of it?

deluded
    Free Member

Horizontal.

Very much liking Vogel bread Soya & Linseed – very dense and tasty. Good for toasting with Bovril on.

Use their Toastarizer !!! – http://www.vogelsbread.co.uk/vogels/toastarizer.ashx

maccruiskeen

what’s the gist of it?

no sandwiches

TimP
    Free Member

Binners – If you can get past all the sandal wearing, beard sporting singlespeeders in the specialty bread section you might find it.

steve-g
    Free Member

Always diagonal, always, no exceptions.

The wife cuts hers 9-3 and baby-g’s 12-6 & 9-3 but shes only 2 she doesnt know any better (baby-g, not the wife)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Always square cut. 12 to 6

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has my job got interesting today or something??

binners

I’m afraid Tim that the above-mentioned,sandal wearing, beard sporting singlespeeders in the specialty bread section – being of a generally left leaning – may view my bread choice as racist

When it comes to owt with a crust, I’m afraid I’m a white supremacist 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Uncut – so the crust can be nibbled away first leaving all the nice bread and meat in the middle.

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFzSK1nKHk[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Diagonal for me*

*If I will be sharing lunch with builders, then straight across and the Guardian stays in the van 😀

Bez

Always an orthogonal cut through the longest edge of the slice – so, for instance, that’s horizontal on a tin and vertical on a bloomer.

White or granary (except for a few things which need one or t’other – eg paté needs white bread). It’s all good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @ darcy of the undercover middle class 🙂

binners

I’m picturing DD smuggling his Guardian out of the newsagents hidden in a copy of Razzle 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

wholemeal. Bareback. Why cut it? Do your teeth not work properly? Do you also remove the crust?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wholemeal cut 9 – 3, holds the filling better this way.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you also remove the crust?

See my above post.

binners has it spot on, except sometimes it’s Fiesta.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cut a sandwich in half?

Do you people have small hands or something?

molgrips
    Free Member

Darcy – have you considered taking the first page of a copy of The Sun and putting your Guardian inside that?

TimP
    Free Member

Not small hands, in fact quite big, and they look even bigger when holding my lunchbox, which is on the small side 😕

philconsequence
    Free Member

isn’t it heartbreaking when someone offers you a sandwich and for some perverted reason they only bring you half a sandwich… a sandwich is 2 WHOLE damn slices of bread with filling… 2 slices with filling cut in half does not make 2 sandwiches… it makes 2 halves dammit!!!

verses

I’m a 3-9 cutter too, BUT…

…when wrapping for lunchbox do you place one half on top of the other, or do you wrap them next to one another along the cut edge (or some other ungodly combination)?

molgrips
    Free Member

and they look even bigger when holding my lunchbox, which is on the small side

Snigger 🙂

Cougar

Fold rather than cut, stops the filling from splurging out.

_tom_
    Free Member

Diagonal makes it taste better, fact. Same goes for toast.

binners

Diagonal Primula makes it taste better, fact. Same goes for toast.

FTFY 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Right……

Wholemeal bread is better for you hence I eat it and not white but crusty white tastes nicer.

I like triangles makes your sandwich feel daintier and stops you shoving too much in when you’re hungry.

Primula is only in my fridge due to the existence of Binners well that and forty other varieties of cheese

Bez

Fold rather than cut, stops the filling from splurging out.

Dear God!

If you can fold it, you haven’t got anywhere near enough in it!

Cut a sandwich in half? Do you people have small hands or something?

No, just very well-filled sandwiches. The only reason not to keep a sandwich whole is if it’s got a still-runny fried egg and/or baked beans (or chilli con carne or similar) in it, because if you cut those you end up with most of it failing to stay within the bread.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Triangular food tastes better, hence usually a diagonal cut for me. Gives you only 2 “corners” of crust instead of 4, making it seem less crusty overall.

I have also been known to dabble with the freeform 10-4 cut, or occasionally the “lightning bolt”. Try it. I dare you.

Cougar

If you can fold it, you haven’t got anywhere near enough in it!

You raise a good point, but it depends entirely on the filling.

binners

double post

binners

I think I’m going to disagree with Cougar here. You could never fold a proper butty containing either
    a)fish fingers
    b) Sausage

Chilli con carne on a butty? Dear God! Were you raised by wolves or something?

derek_starship
    Free Member

steve-g and his mrs feed her watch?

http://dilger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/casio-baby-g-bg-169bv-1er-2-kopie.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

I like watches…but not that much.

FTR – 10-4 seeded batch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Sandwich cutting’ is closed to new replies.