Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sandwich
  • eth3er
    Free Member

This is just about the most awkward word in the english language, for me anyway. I’m a foreign person living somewhere in the north of England, i’ve heard it pronounced, sumwedge, sunguage, sonwedge and many other variations in between. While i was still trying to get my heard around your language i once wrote it as sanguage and got laughed at pretty hard. So my question, is it just foreign people who find it difficult.

chojin
    Free Member

The honest answer?

Yes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

English is a great and stupid language with many irregularities; dialects and accents definately serve to confound the learner even futher.

I’d imagine many kids growing up speaking English would have trouble with the word ‘sandwich’ (which I pronounce ‘sandwige’) as they do with, say, ‘Wednesday’ so it’s normal to get confusion.

The most ridiculous thing for me in English is the different pronounciation of words ending in ‘ough’ such as:

Rough
    Through
    Bough
    Thorough
    Hiccough

I like Spanish cos it doesn’t seem to do this sort of thing at all!

Edit:
    You should move down to the midlands where we all speak proper like :mrgreen:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You wanna try pronouncing Gaelic!

Tis one of the wonders of the English language…if you want a funny read about it eth3er, try “Mother Tongue” by Bill Bryson – one of his earliest books and a very funny & informative read.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we all speak proper like

loyke

😆

tthew

Just ask for a Butty. You’ll be fine.

Sandwich

You called?

Cougar

Yeah. If you say “buttie” in the north and “sarnie” in the south, you’ll not go far wrong.

I’d probably say ‘sandwidge’ or some such.

ton

banjo, barm, bap, stottie, roll, butty, sarnie, probably loads more.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

“san-widge”

alpin
    Free Member

nice town. very quiant. i used to tke friends there if they were visiting from abraod as it’s very quirky in an english sense. there is also a great italian restaurant there near the river.

the beach is nice too. a few minutes walk and you can find yourself totally alone in the dunes with your girlfriend. 🙂
    also a good spot for land- and surfkiting.

i pronounce it SANDWICH… as it’s meant to be.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ll ask the locals next time I’m this way:

plop_pants
    Free Member

the beach is nice too. a few minutes walk and you can find yourself totally alone in the dunes with your girlfriend

Yeah just you and all the wizened old naturists. 😕

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sandwich’ is closed to new replies.