Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sanding floor boards (with a drill or angle grinder?)
  • Earl
    Free Member

I need to sand about 20sqm of pretty old floor boards which have all been lifted ie (they are just planks sitting outside)

Instead of buying a belt sander(which i will have no use for after all of this), are there suitable attachments I can use for a drill or angle grinder that would be good enough to ”do the job’.

Thanks

jam-bo

hire one

nbt

Buy a belt sander from aldi / lidl, or hire one

druidh
    Free Member

Hire a belt sander

piemonster

@Earl

The fact that you have a valid reason for buying a power tool, but are looking for excuses not do so…

Well, this sickens me…..just sickens me

sl2000

When you hire one, try your local independent hire shop. Ours (Kougar in Wandsworth) is half the price of HSS and twice as pleasant.

Earl
    Free Member

Ta all.

Looks like a belt sander is the right tool for the job.

wwaswas

Rent a proper floorboard sanding machine.

doing a load of rough planks with a normal belt sander will a) take weeks and b) cost you more in belts than you save on rental. 20sqM is quite a large area.

stumpyjon

The fact that you have a valid reason for buying a power tool, but are looking for excuses not do so…

Well, this sickens me…..just sickens me

This

maccruiskeen

With a drill you’ll definately wish yourself dead about 1 / 10th of the way into the job. With an angle grinder you’ll utterly ruin your floorboards and you make multiple deep gouges.

Hire a good belt sander or buy a shit one (I’d say hire a good one personally)

If the floor has been sanded and varnished before so that its pretty much flat already then you might get away with buying a good orbital sander – and have more use for it again in future. If you choose one that can hook up well to an extractor then you can do the job very cleanly. If its never been sanded before then you’ll be removing quite a lot of material and will need a belty and an appetite for the taste of dust.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sanding floor boards (with a drill or angle grinder?)’ is closed to new replies.