Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • San Fermin (bull running)
  • donsimon
    Free Member

San Fermin today ( and my birthday 😀 ) and the first day of running with the bulls.
    Would/could you do it?
    Have you done it?
    I went to the running in San Sebastian de los Reyes a few years ago and the answer for me is a NO! It was bedlam…

iDave
    Free Member

I’d do it.
    You don’t have to outrun the bulls, you have to outrun the people around you.

mogrim

Just watched it in the bar downstairs, dull – no blood, couple of people run over by the bulls, that was it.

And no, I wouldn’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

couple of people run over by the bulls

Hopefully they were hurt badly.

Stoner
    Free Member

bulls are pretty tough cookies. They’ll be alright.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, I meant the people…which was pretty evident from my post.

But oh…

…you realised that anyway and went ahead and said something silly.

Sorry, as you were.

seosamh77
    Free Member

No, I meant the people…which was pretty evident from my post.

But oh…

…you realised that anyway and went ahead and said something silly.

Sorry, as you were.You’re against animal cruelty by promoting cruelty to humans? Got to love that kinda logic.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve done bull running – was quite an entertaining student exchange!

Spent one month (summer hols, aged 14) with some Spanish family who my Dad knew.

I remember walking around their village, asking them why they had these massive iron gates at various corners…. Then they smiled, and said “for the bulls”

Probably the most stupid thing I have ever done in my life.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’d never do it, for lots of reasons, but we did have a guy come once that had run with the bulls and came to us for the week afterwards. Funny thing was he was terrified on even the easiest singletrack 🙂

I reckon a better idea would be to get your kicks doing some of the cool biking round Pamplona and then head in for a party at night 😉 It’s got to be one of the wildest parties in Europe.

(happy birthday by the way!)

donsimon
    Free Member

(happy birthday by the way!)

Finally! 🙄
    Thanks. 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I reckon a better idea would be to get your kicks doing some of the cool biking round Pamplona and then head in for a party at night

How about organising a ‘riding with the bulls’?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh yes, happy birthday don of the simeones.

Anyway…

You’re against animal cruelty by promoting cruelty to humans? Got to love that kinda logic.

You gotta love your logic seosamh; inferring something completely different to what I meant. Do you do that kind of thing normally in your rush to post?

seosamh77
    Free Member

You gotta love your logic seosamh; inferring something completely different to what I meant. Do you do that kind of thing normally in your rush to post?

Hopefully they were hurt badly. – hmm what the **** else did you mean?

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw since when did “*eck” become a sweary word? 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

Hopefully they were hurt badly. – hmm what the **** else did you mean? And Happy Birthday to the OP

FTFY!

retrorick

I ran a few years ago at Pamplona, it was entertaining. The bull ring straight after was funny with a little bull with corks on its horns running through the crowd!
    The uk should hold similar events on saturday mornings in town centres, most shoppers/runners would be drunk (like in Pamplona) and it’d force people into the shops to spend money!

Rick.

trailmonkey

i just happened to be in a small town in the south of france a couple of years ago and they were having their own mini version of this. it was a very small town and we were the only foreigners, lots of booze being drunk and the testosterone in the air made your eyes sting.
    but – there was not a hint of trouble or agression of any kind. in fact it was a really cool atmosphere.

you see in northern europe, we seemingly have to go through these rites of passage rituals by beating each other up and generally being arseholes. in southern europe a young man can achieve a respectable state of manliness by avoiding being gored to death by a bull. a bull incidentally that comes to no harm whatsoever, in fact they seemed to let go of a fair amount of testosterone themselves.

i see absolutely no reason to wish that any of those people should be

hurt badly

in fact i thought the whole thing was a really civilised approach to what is a universal problem of the human condition.

i admired the people of that french town a lot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

btw since when did “*eck” become a sweary word?

Sometime this or last week…crap innit?

Anyway back OT:

Hopefully they were hurt badly. – hmm what the **** else did you mean?

Where did I imply that I was all for cruelty to humans? I am against cruelty to either humans or animals. Bull running is cruel. Sending a bunch of stressed, scared and angry bulls running down a narrow street with hordes of people screaming at them is beyond entertainment (IMO). The people that participate deserve any mauling or stampeding they get. Hopefully, they’ll be hurt badly enough to reconsider doing it in future.

you see in northern europe, we seemingly have to go through these rites of passage rituals by beating each other up and generally being arseholes.

I don’t know the part of northern Europe you grew up in tm, but my “rites of passage” were nothing like these?

donsimon
    Free Member

The uk should hold similar events on saturday mornings in town centres, most shoppers/runners would be drunk (like in Pamplona) and it’d force people into the shops to spend money!

I think they do. The last time I saw it, it was called Milwall away. 😕

trailmonkey

I don’t know the part of northern Europe you grew up in tm, but my “rites of passage” were nothing like these?

i think you could go out in any town in the uk ( or beyond) on friday and see exactly that going on.

bomba
    Free Member

I went to Pamplona a couple of years back and did the bull run three mornings on the trot. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has come close to the rush of adrenaline that I got from running a few metres in front of a herd of charging bulls.

There is a sense of ‘done that’ now, but I’d love to go back and do it again.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Where did I imply that I was all for cruelty to humans? I am against cruelty to either humans or animals. Bull running is cruel. Sending a bunch of stressed, scared and angry bulls running down a narrow street with hordes of people screaming at them is beyond entertainment (IMO). The people that participate deserve any mauling or stampeding they get. Hopefully, they’ll be hurt badly enough to reconsider doing it in future

For me the short statement implied it, but fair enough i’m not going to hold you to it.. Anyhow, i still think you’re logic is a bit odd, but then again you probably think mines is too.. I’m fine with using animals for entertainment, provided people don’t go too far, clearly our definitions differ there. and i’m fine with eating any animal, provided it tastes nice 😀 and we don’t hunt it to extinction or farm it in such a way that is detrimental to the meat.

ps, Feliz Cumpleanos Don Simon, espero que tengas un gran dia ! 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i think you could go out in any town in the uk ( or beyond) on friday and see exactly that going on.

Yes, I know what you mean really. But there are plenty that need neither that or being chased by a bunch of animals as a “rite of passage”. Anyway, I really don’t have the stomach for a debate on the merits or opposite of bull-running today, so I will respectfully step away from the debate.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Anyway Zorionak!!! Ondo Pasa!!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oooh! what’s the name for people who say something controversial and then step back from the resulting debate?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooh! what’s the name for people who say something controversial and then step back from the resulting debate?

Oh please, don’t start…I’d normally be up for the fight CM, just not today particularly.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wish I had kept my fingers off the keyboard in the first place TBH…I have my own fundamental personal views on the whole bull thing and am not seeking to change those of others.

skiprat
    Free Member

Mrs skips mum and dad used to live in inland Spain and the “big town” near them used to have their own bull run. It was an amazing atmosphere.

Me and her dad went into what we thought was a bar to get some drinks, only to find that it was someones house witha bar downstairs. We got our drinks (and they wouldn’t let us pay for anything) and then had to cross the road. They have staggered boards so you can slip between them. Lets just say hes on the plump side and couldn’t fit through the gap.

I was following and the bulls were coming so had to run on with all the blokes doing the run for some 50m. Beers still in hand. Funny now but mental when you’re there. Great day out as after the run, the bulls go back out to graze and didn’t get killed. Everyone was happy.

Dobbo

FWIW, I thought you made good points deadlydarcy, +1 from me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I wish I had kept my fingers off the keyboard in the first place TBH

Shame i was looking forward to a bit of quality skivving, might need to do some work now!

skiboy
    Free Member

Don’t mess with the bulls,

bit of karma on this one,

[video]http://www.yourdailymedia.com/video/watch/12261/[/video]

skiboy
    Free Member

fail

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

skiboy, you can only embed video from YouTube or Vimeo.

Link to skiboy’s video: Karma?

EDIT: Jeez, he really does get owned by Mr. Bull.

goon
    Free Member

Bull running is cruel. Sending a bunch of stressed, scared and angry bulls running down a narrow street with hordes of people screaming at them is beyond entertainment (IMO). The people that participate deserve any mauling or stampeding they get. Hopefully, they’ll be hurt badly enough to reconsider doing it in future.

Pretty much sums it up, well said Darcy.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do we know that they are stressed scared and angry?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like I said, i’m not getting involved. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I meant the bulls DD, but i can see why there was the confusion

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not confused at all thanks.

mogrim

Feliz Cumpleaños DS!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘San Fermin (bull running)’ is closed to new replies.