• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or Nexus 7?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Thinking about getting my daughter a new tablet, she’ll no doubt want an Ipad but at 10 years old she can want.

Can get the Samsung or Nexus 7 for £100-£120 but which is best?

Will mainly be used for internet browsing and downloading apps to play around on.

Was steering towards the Samsung but lots of unfavourable reviews on Amazon.

Cheers.

nickjb
    Free Member

I read quite a few unfavourable reviews of the Tab 3 but actually mine has been very good. I presume for that money you talking about a mark 1 nexus 7. Probably the biggest plus for the 7 is the latest OS and its completely unmodified. The Samsung is a bit messed about with. Some things better, some things worse, not really that big an issue though. For me the ‘killer app’ for the Tab is the SD card slot. I’ve tried Google’s ‘you don’t need a card, everything is in the cloud’ approach and it doesn’t work for me, especially on a device without a sim. Overall I’ve been very happy with the Tab 3.

Stoner
    Free Member

N7 for me here. Great kit. But we live the “google cloud” thang so no SD expansion is not an issue, even with the 8Gb.

Having a native android hardware/OS relationship will always be better than some other Co.s bloatware.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I read the terrible reviews and bought a tab 3 anyway–it hasn’t bitten my face off yet and is fine for bimbling about on the internet
    Meh, she’s 10–buy her a skipping rope, she’ll be fine with that

paladin

Tesco hudl is good value if you happen to have any Tesco vouchers. £75 of vouchers got hudl, rubber bumper cover, screen protectors and headphones for my lad.

kimbers

where are you looking at the N7 at that price, is it the older version- 1gb ram etc

if so Hudl is probably better bet than either that or tab3 , better resolution, mini hdmi, memory card slot, front and rear camera and pretty much unadulterated android

bails

You can get an app and a USB OTG cable for the Nexus so you can access USB sticks, cameras, SD cards etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

Hudl is a good call. I did consider that for me but was put off a bit by the design. The screen surround is pretty thick and it is about the same size as the 8″ Tab 3. Probably fine for a 10 year old but not for a snob like me 🙂

spacemonkey

The missus has the new N7 and she barely uses it. All she’s done is add a few apps and kept it completely stock. For that reason, I absolutely hate Android as I think it looks and feels hideous out of the box.

My N5 … I hated that too when I first got it (for that same reasons). 24hrs later I’d customised it to how I wanted it (launcher etc) and it’s bang tidy.

Horses for courses as plenty of people love it stock.

Not a fan of the Tab. Heard some good reviews re the Hudl.

midlifecrashes

I have the Samsung. It’s very good, well thought out and easy to use. It’s not quick though, some games which are fine on my phone (Air Navy Fighters, Moto Razr i) are blocky and laggy on the Tab. I don’t use any of the Samsung specific apps, but if I had a Galaxy phone it might be very worthwhile. God battery life. Screen is good, couldn’t tell you whether it wins any pixel wars, but it’s nice to look at, vids/movies are great. Speakers are very good for the size, I often use it as a portable Spotify radio.

Jase
    Free Member

Didn’t think of Hudl.

Nexus is the 2012 from Amazon – price fluctuates from 100-140!

zippykona

Nexus easily.
    Got my dad a Samsung and its really difficult to use.
    We then got a mint iPad 1 off eBay for £105.
    IPad is better than the others.

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at the Asus Memo Pad HD7.
    Its pretty much the same as the Nexus 7 2012 (also made by Asus), plus it can take a MicroSD card. The extra memory can be useful if you want to load a few films or MP3s etc. You can get one for about £120.

Jase
    Free Member

Mentioned this to daughter last night and she suggested the Hudl before I had a chance to so will go with that.

With Tesco vouchers and Topcashback should only cost me about £6 too 🙂

Many thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or Nexus 7?’ is closed to new replies.