Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 390 total)
  • Same old Tories…
  • kimbers

So you’re saying The tories are stopping subsidising employers who pay low wages by topping up their employees wages with taxpayers money?

What a bloody good idea!

and letting food banks worry about feeding them, natch

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What a bloody good idea!

Really ? You think it’s a good idea ? 😯

I’m assuming of course that as a committed right-wing Tory supporter you’re not in favour in increasing the bargaining power of low paid workers.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, of course, why on earth should the taxpayer subsidise companies to pay wages that their staff can’t live on? We constantly hear that this is a bad thing for governments to do!

If their staff can’t live on the wages, they’ll have to start paying more rather than expecting the taxpayer to make up the difference, otherwise they’ll have no staff!

Companies with no staff tend to not make any money…

ac282

I think its a good idea to cut back on in work benefits.
    I also think that the minimum wage should be increased so that a full time worker doesn’t need them.

binners

If their staff can’t live on the wages, they’ll have to start paying more rather than expecting the taxpayer to make up the difference, otherwise they’ll have no staff!

With over 2 million (officially) unemployed, and IDS’s assault on the ability of people to actually qualify for benefits at all, a casualised, zero hours culture, mass immigration etc… having a steady flow of people trying to exist on subsistence level wages isn’t really an issue

I’m in agreement with you its a crazy situation to subsidise companies to pay poverty level wages. But punishing the employee isn’t going to address it, is it? Not without pressure on the employers. And the government won’t even countenance that!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If their staff can’t live on the wages, they’ll have to start paying more….

It’s unlikely that staff will start dying because they can’t live on their wages, and even if they do I’m sure the employers can find replacements.

In which case why would they need to “start paying more” ?

You haven’t even suggested increasing the minimum wage, which is bizarre considering your claim that taxpayers are subsidising employers.

kimbers

to be fair on the Torys, they really are struggling against the UKIP onslaught and need this kind of basic rightwing tubthumping

Theresa May is about to unveil* another raft of utterly redundant policies to counter the ‘threat of terrorism’

Dave also pledged to protect pensioner benefits ……wonder why that is?

and guess what after Boris said UKIP defectors are ‘Utterly Nuts’ his deputy mayor has announced hes defecting to UKIP

Id expect a lot more of the same before the election

just wish there was a credible opposition

* I say unveil, everything gets leaked/sent to the press before the actual announcement?

oldnpastit

So, assuming I want a rational, evidence-based government in power, should I:

(a) vote Tory to keep UKIP out
    (b) vote Libdem to keep the Tories out
    (c) vote Labour to make a pointless gesture (at least here)
    (d) move to Scotland and campaign for an independence referendum?

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s unlikely that staff will start dying because they can’t live on their wages, and even if they do I’m sure the employers can find replacements.

In which case why would they need to “start paying more” ?

Where are they going to find replacements if people can’t live on the pay they are offering?

You’re a marxist Ernie, you know that it is impossible to accomplish any leap in social development without revolution.

ultimately if theres no work or benefits, people will start stealing food and rioting in the streets, that tends to be bad for business too, so someone will have to step in and do something about it

You haven’t even suggested increasing the minimum wage, which is bizarre considering your claim that taxpayers are subsidising employers.

No problem at all with that!

You alleged I’m not in favour in increasing the bargaining power of low paid workers – I’d say I’m all for it, the ultimate bargaining power is to stop playing the game and hold two fingers up with one hand, (whilst holding half a brick with the other)

aracer
    Free Member

make your mind up aracer, is it all the fault of global financial crisis ?

I have thanks – yes, mostly (or were you expecting me to contradict myself?) Do I think we might be in a different situation had the Tories been in power when it happened? Yes. Do I think we’d be in a better situation? I have no idea.

binners

A good idea would be to use the same disingenuous language as the Tory’s prefer when talking about other issues involving frightful poor people,

So as they insist that the ‘Bedroom Tax’ isn’t a tax at all, but a ‘Spare Room Subsidy’, then maybe we should start calling Working Tax Credits ‘Poverty Pay Subsidy’ instead, then publish the list of the employers paying it.

I’d be more than happy with the government withdrawing the onus on taxpayers to cover this ‘Poverty Pay Subsidy’ . But at the same time raise the minimum wage by the exact amount this ‘Poverty Pay Subsidy’ is being reduced by.

If thats what they were proposing, I doubt you’d get many arguments.

But they’re not.

Solo
    Free Member

Companies with no staff tend to not make any money…
    Good point, missed by the left, who are too busy crying about the rich and calling for Labour to rob the rich and duff-up the companies. As I’ve posted before, the left either can’t or don’t want to understand the free market. I suspect, mostly because it involves a smaller state.

If someone is in work and still feels the need to claim. Either they accepted a wage which was too low, or they’re spending more than they can afford. Quite how this becomes the Governments problem, which needs to be sorted with tax payers money, is a bit naughty. Demand better wages, tell the share holders that their ROI will be 20% instead of 30% because the 10% is required to pay a fair wage.
    Of course, the share holders won’t listen, they’ll call your bluff, knowing you have rent to pay and spending to do. In return, the public could all refuse to buy the ipad 2, if we thougt the staff of that company weren’t paid enough. But then, there’d be no company if people couldn’t live on the wages paid by that company.

Subsidizing share holder ROI with tax payers money, by allowing people to claim tax pounds to top-up their wages is ridiculous.
    Give some dignity back to those who work. stop the claims, stop the need to claim. Alternatively, let the companies feel the heat of not being able to recruit, if they don’t pay high enough wages.

I’m not rich, I’m not sticking up for the rich. I’m sticking up for people to stand on their own two feet and not have to work and claim.

grum
    Free Member

So we get rid of the minimum wage AND in-work benefits, and rely on market forces to sort everything out?

You people are **** insane, seriously. 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do I think we might be in a different situation had the Tories been in power when it happened? Yes. Do I think we’d be in a better situation?

No those weren’t the questions, but of course you knew that. Are you a politician ?

Here are the questions again :

…is it all the fault of global financial crisis ?

Or is the global situation only relevant when there are bad news headlines and the Tories are in power ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It seems to me that, in a globalised economy where low wages are the norm due to a vastly bigger employee base (also due in part to a constantly growing population), the “West” is no longer in the priveleged position of controlling the supply of commercial goods and enabling higher wages.

Companies will, of course, always seek to maximise profits and in today’s global climate where moving abroad to pay less wage is always an option, this is a popular means to that end.

We can increase the supply of jobs, but not guarantee a higher wage base than elsewhere.

In the middle of all this, any government has to find a way of maximising the tax take whilst encouraging commercial activity and looking at what the available pot of tax pounds will buy.

Whatever happens, the money for public spending has to come from somewhere.

Taxing the rich more will not in itself provide enough to meet the public purse, so of course those earning less will have to be taxed.

The only way to ensure that the poorer pay less in tax is to reduce the number of things that taxes are having to be spent on.

What would YOU cut?

bol

the mash seem to have it nailed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’re a marxist Ernie, you know that it is impossible to accomplish any leap in social development without revolution.

Please, marxist-lennist…….I ain’t no trot. Which is precisely why I apply commonsense and aim for “immediate gains” for working people under existing conditions.

Huge gains in the interests of ordinary working people can be accomplished under existing conditions. And of course they have.

ninfan
    Free Member

In return, the public could all refuse to buy the ipad 2, if we thougt the staff of that company weren’t paid enough. But then, there’d be no company if people couldn’t live on the wages paid by that company.

Think of the role the unions could play here! Instead of trying to overthrow the elected government of the day they could identify firms who pay shite wages and pick them off one by one – a formal picket and boycott of, for example, Argos. Would have them on their knees in days!

kimbers

solo you seem quite divorced from reality

Accepting a job thats too low paid?
    The economy is awash with underpaid jobs at the moment, hence the current productivity gap.
    Theres plenty of other unemployed people to take those jobs if you decide to turn it down, not to mention getting any unemployment benefits terminated if you tried to reject one.
    And the right wing obsession with stimulating the housing bubble driving up rent and house prices, thats a major reason that people are stuck in the working benefits trap.

not topping up salaries is great, but without raising the minimum wage you end up just creating an ever wider gap between rich and poor , channelling more people toward foodbanks etc.

Solo
    Free Member

So we get rid of the minimum wage AND in-work benefits, and rely on market forces a Labour government to rob business and the rich to sort everything out?

Yeah, well we tried that. It hasn’t worked out too well though.

project
    Free Member

Election next year make your vote count, throw the toys out of the pram

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a Labour government to rob business and the rich to sort everything out?

Yeah, well we tried that. It hasn’t worked out too well though.

What we’ve mostly tried out is Tory policies. The Tories have been in power more than any other party in the last 100 years.

So when a Labour government wasn’t robbing business and the rich was everything hunky-dory ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anybody care to examine the global situation rather than focus on local class war rhetoric?

ransos
    Free Member

They don’t have to close them, they could have put your council tax up instead

Not really. Most council funding is actually from central government, and any significant increase in council tax can only be approved via a local referendum.

ransos
    Free Member

Look at the horrifying dip in wages! It’s during a Labour government…

Which then recovered, and was higher when they left office than it is now. So what’s your point?

Solo
    Free Member

Theres plenty of other unemployed people to take those jobs if you decide to turn it down, not to mention getting and unemployment benefits terminated if you tried to reject one.

Oh, where have I been ? Probably on planet Zorg….
    So…. there are more people than there are jobs. Hhmmm, how did that happen then ?

ninfan
    Free Member

any significant increase in council tax can only be approved via a local referendum.

Jesus, direct democracy? woe betide the thought!

Surely if people want better services, they’ll be happy to vote for higher taxes? Hasn’t that been the refrain of the left for the last forty years?

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. if UKIP is threatening to split the Tory vote, and Tories therefore have to move right, does this leave Labour space to move left?

jam-bo

Which then recovered, and was higher when they left office than it is now. So what’s your point?

you can always find a graph to suit the point you are making.

Solo
    Free Member

Anybody care to examine the global situation rather than focus on local class war rhetoric?
    What, like the tracksuits always voting labour, cos that’s how their family has always voted. Regardless of the fact that they’re still wearing tracksuits.
    😆

What we’ve mostly tried out is Tory policies. The Tories have been in power more than any other party in the last 100 years.
    Oh, Ok, it’s silly hour now then.
    In that case, I’m off.
    🙂

martinhutch

My point was that stats trotted out in a political campaigning context are often highly misleading. Just as the statement you quoted from me (that a Labour government presided over the biggest fall in real wages in recent history) didn’t really bear close examination, statements of the kind I was initially responding to should be treated with the same degree of scepticism.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Solo – Member

Oh, Ok, it’s silly hour now then.
    In that case, I’m off.

Well it will save you having to answer the question. Apparently it’s “silly” to ask a Tory supporter whether everything was fine under Tory governments.

ransos
    Free Member

My point was that stats trotted out in a political campaigning context are often highly misleading.

Well yes, but the suggestion that under this government we’ve had a long-term and significant depression of wages isn’t misleading at all.

ransos
    Free Member

Surely if people want better services, they’ll be happy to vote for higher taxes? Hasn’t that been the refrain of the left for the last forty years?

Sadly, there are too many tories in the electorate for that too happen. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

No those weren’t the questions, but of course you knew that. Are you a politician ?

No, are you? Because I already answered your question, but you’re ignoring my answer because it’s clearly not the one you’re after.

The other bits you’re complaining about weren’t intended to be answers to your questions, feel free to ignore them as I’m trying to add a little bit of useful signal to this thread rather than just engage in pointless debates with you. Or if you like you could just trawl back through my old postings to attempt to find me claiming that Labour caused all our current problems rather than the financial crisis – have fun 🙂

martinhutch

Well yes, but the suggestion that under this government we’ve had a long-term and significant depression of wages isn’t misleading at all.

That’s a correct statement. The initial statement was that the current government had caused it. Which may be true, at least partially, but isn’t proven by a random chart looking at wage levels over Parliamentary terms.

kimbers

quite amusing (unless you really are a UKIP supporter with a hoover fetish)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I already answered your question

No you didn’t.

I’m trying to add a little bit of useful signal to this thread rather than just engage in pointless debates with you.

No that’s not true either, if it was you wouldn’t keep commenting on my posts.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s a correct statement. The initial statement was that the current government had caused it. Which may be true, at least partially, but isn’t proven by a random chart looking at wage levels over Parliamentary terms.

Any government is of course subject to global economic influence, but when we see a negative trend continuing for over four years, I think we would have to lay at largely at the door of no.11 Downing Street, regardless of what was the initial cause.

aracer
    Free Member

Do you understand the meaning of the word “just”, ernie? 😉

Oh, and since you missed it, the answer was “yes, mostly”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 390 total)

The topic ‘Same old Tories…’ is closed to new replies.