Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Same old question about losing weight…
  • finnegan
    Free Member

So, I've built Mrs F a simple singlespeed InBred, nice and light (rigid, V brakes, no faff) and she loves the lightness. Which means of course she'd like me to make her geared bike lighter (it's 10lb heavier than the SS).

Nothing on it was specced for light weight, so I'm sure there's some fat to lose before we reach the £1/gram weenying, and I'm looking for advice where to start for the cheapest big wins.

Spec as follows:
    slot dropout InBred
    32h Reetard rims, front on XT disk hub, rear on Alfine gearhub
    1.95 Nevegals front and back
    Truvativ Stylo SS crankset with V8s
    Truvativ GXP BB
    BB7s/180mm front and back
    RockShox coil sprung forks (Tora I'm pretty sure)
    On One stem and Mary bars
    FSA Orbit headset
    On One Twelfty seatpost

The Alfine hub has to stay, as do the Mary bars, and she likes the geometry a lot, so the frame stays as well. It's used for long days bimbling around the Chilterns and shorter trips with a loaded pannier and rack on the back, no big drops or jumps. Can't afford King, Middleburn, Phil Wood and the like, but I'm hoping there's something reasonably economical I could change.

So I'm thinking start with the forks – get something airsprung instead of coil (100mm with lock out, but not remote – any offers?). How much weight would that save?

But what next? Wheels and tyres? Rebuild the wheels on lighter rims, go 'ghetto tubeless'? Again, how much could I expect to save if any?

Advice, scathing criticism of components, derailleur snobbery etc welcomed, but try not to suggest Mrs F could lose the weight instead!

Thanks very much,

njee20
    Free Member

Nowt on there which is light, so it's a bit of a case of where do you want to start/how much do you want to spend.

I would say wheels, but XC717s are only about 30g lighter, and Olympics are far more expensive.

Smaller rear rotor? Second hand older style SID? How heavily loaded is the bike likely to be?

Foam grips drop 100g from lock-ons for £5! Ghetto tubeless is always good, particularly if you combine with something like Racing Ralphs, which probably weigh less than what she's got anyway.

z1ppy

I have an inbred I'm slightly concerned weight wise, but it'll be the frame that gets replaced before any of the parts.. mmm a scandal maybe…

tinsy
    Free Member

zippy is right… ditch the frame get the scandal. 1 1/2lb there

2nd hand SID forks another 1 1/2lb

After that it gets even more expesive per gram.

nickc

I think you've identified where you make the largest savings: Rims and fork. Maybe some tyres, supersonic Speed Kings are silly light, but need delicate riding and high pressures to stay up (especially in the Chilterns). You could loose weight on things like the stem and seat-post, but only be going carbon, and even then you're only talking a 100 grammes or so…

Not easy given the Alfine has to stay…

nickhart
    Free Member

go for a dump before riding?

finnegan
    Free Member

Thanks nickhart – I usually do, but that doesn't help Mrs F… 😉

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Was going to recommend light wheels, tubes and tyres, but Z1ppy and Tinsy make some good suggestions also.

CC.

finnegan
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    njee20, the rear rotor has to be 180mm or the BB7 caliper fouls the slot dropout, otherwise it would be 160s all round!
    Not a weekend away's worth of loaded, but a pannier full, so not a big deal.
    Sounds like I should look out for SIDs – am I right in thinking I've heard horror stories about early SIDs, or is that my imagination?
    z1ppy – good call re the Scandal frame. I've thought about that, and Mrs F does fancies the tasteful pink, but I'd have to check the geometry – don't want to rebuild it only to find she doesn't like the ride! Scandal frame has mudguard and rack mounts, or would that be a P clip job?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Same old question about losing weight…’ is closed to new replies.