Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Sam Allardyce
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why top stars across pretty much every sport there is bother to have coaches, eh?.

Football players have coaches with their club sides. They shouldn’t need it at the national level as well.

doris5000

he takes mediocre teams, gets them organised and gets them playing better.

now if there’s one thing we can all agree, it’s that the current england team are mediocre.

i reckon it’s a decent shout.

Rockape63
    Free Member

he takes mediocre teams, gets them organised and gets them playing better.

now if there’s one thing we can all agree, it’s that the current england team are mediocre.

i reckon it’s a decent shout.

I’d second that Doris…he clearly wants the job too, so give him a chance eh? Besides, what have we got to lose? 🙁

dragon
    Free Member

he says that Hodgson’s training sessions were so repetitive and boring, and it was the same thing day in, day out.

The England players said the same about the Euros. Also from the same Telegraph article:

There was very little structure at the end of last Thursday’s training session, when a group of players stayed behind to practise penalties and put Danny Rose in goal. Lallana, Raheem Sterling, Eric Dier and Jack Wilshere took free-kicks at an empty goal under no instruction or guidance.

Its fair to say Hodgson was a clown, making a lot of money for doing very little. While i’m not a fan of Big Sam he won’t be treating it as a million pound a year paid holiday, like Hodgson did.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@doris is spot on

Of course you have to coach a team, you have 22 players most of whom don’t play together regularly. Its the coaches job to get them playing in the style he wants with the required tactics. All this takes work.

jambalaya
    Free Member

he won’t be treating it as a million pound a year paid holiday, like Hodgson did.

£3m pa I think it was

BTW anyone want to start a wendy ball thread – Pogba £100m and £11m pa 😯 Quite a bit more than the entire Leicester Squad no ? I thought Rooney was more effective at Euro 2016

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Quite ironic, the one thing England, even for all the riches of the EPL, can’t produce is a successful manager – Howard Wilkinson being the last.

mikey74
    Free Member

Of course you have to coach a team, you have 22 players most of whom don’t play together regularly. Its the coaches job to get them playing in the style he wants with the required tactics. All this takes work.

I guess it depends on your definition of “coaching”: In my view, that’s not coaching, that’s organisation and man management.

Coyote
    Free Member

They shouldn’t need it at the national level as well.

Without wanting to be rude that’s bollocks.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Quite ironic, the one thing England, even for all the riches of the EPL, can’t produce is a successful manager – Howard Wilkinson being the last.

Not really ironic. More an inevitable result of market forces. No time to train, blood and give young managers a chance when there are such huge sums at risk. Having the richest league in the world is the biggest thing holding back English football.

Or maybe it is ironic….let me go check with Alanis Morissette.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your definition of “coaching”: In my view, that’s not coaching, that’s organisation and man management

I remember reading an article on Pirlo, and his views on coaching, and it was quite different to some of the nonsense expressed above.

What would he know though….

Or maybe it is ironic….let me go check with Alanis Morissette.

😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Without wanting to be rude that’s bollocks.

The rudest thing about that is not stating why you think it’s “bollocks”.

I remember reading an article on Pirlo, and his views on coaching, and it was quite different to some of the nonsense expressed above.

Care to enlighten us?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not really, no. You’ve already made up your mind, clearly.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not really, no. You’ve already made up your mind, clearly.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

saw big sam in his Blackburn days and my neck is still sore from the long balls

he will stop you getting relegated, it will be shite to watch, he likes a big man up front

I don’t see him as the answer to the England problems personally

he has also almost never worked with top top class players

dragon
    Free Member

he likes a big man up front

That in its self isn’t an issue, a big man up front with skillful attacking midfielders running off them is quite a successful tactic. In fact long balls aren’t necessarily an issue either, it only becomes and issue when you forget the midfield exists, play 9 across the back and hit everything long.

Kamakazie

For those asking what he has won, did that same rule apply to the Portugal manager who just lead his team to the European title?

I think it’s a really good appointment considering the options. A well drilled, organised side can do very well in the Euros / World Cup and that is the least I expect to get from an Allardyce England side.

I don’t understand people suggesting Hoddle again? All this talk about him being a ‘good coach’ but what has he done of note since he last managed the side?
    And Shearer? Seriously?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t understand people suggesting Hoddle again? All this talk about him being a ‘good coach’ but what has he done of note since he last managed the side?
    And Shearer? Seriously?

Spot on. Hoddle is yesterdays man and Shearer shows a bit of patriotism, which does not make him a manager.

PrinceJohn

I think it’s a good choice… He was hindered at Newcastle and at West ham by the fans hounding him out, saying it’s not the clubs way. West ham have gone onto better things, Newcastle not so much…

People asking for shearer? Please, he failed miserably at Newcastle and as for passionate players becoming managers, how’s Stuart Pearce currently getting on?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Doesn’t really matter who the manager is.
    The reality is that most of the current first 11 wouldn’t have even made it into the 22 man squad 10yrs ago – they are mediocre at best.
    However whilst some fans have grasped it, there is still an unrealistic expectation out there that England should be going to tournaments and doing well with the current crop of players.

FA should hire the cheapest manager they can find and invest the remainder of the cash in youth development programs. When the squad actually has some potential to do well, then look at getting a top class manager in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That in its self isn’t an issue, a big man up front with skillful attacking midfielders running off them is quite a successful tactic.

Its a tactic that keeps you in the league it does not win you world cups

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its a tactic that keeps you in the league it does not win you world cups

If it beats Iceland that would represent progress

he has also almost never worked with top top class players

Maybe England need to take a bit more of the “Leicester route” our Euro 2016 squad didn’t look very top class. Man for man Iceland where better.

Garry_Lager

I think it’s a really good appointment considering the options. A well drilled, organised side can do very well in the Euros / World Cup and that is the least I expect to get from an Allardyce England side.

Agreed – a system goes a long way in tournament football, even a BigSam system. He will bring total clarity in that respect which is something the players need. Huge pressure + soft, spineless gets = failure, and I reckon TheBigSam will make some progress here.

Be nice to think that he won’t stand for any of the usual shithousery that lets serial under-performers accumulate 100 caps. I kind of doubt it though – the England media circus always seems to subvert the best of intentions.

binners

fifeandy – Member

Doesn’t really matter who the manager is.
    The reality is that most of the current first 11 wouldn’t have even made it into the 22 man squad 10yrs ago – they are mediocre at best.
    However whilst some fans have grasped it, there is still an unrealistic expectation out there that England should be going to tournaments and doing well with the current crop of players.

FA should hire the cheapest manager they can find and invest the remainder of the cash in youth development programs. When the squad actually has some potential to do well, then look at getting a top class manager in.

fifeandy has pretty much summed it up there

Paying Hodgeson and now Big Sam (managers who’ve never actually won owt) over £3 million a year is madness.

But then again the FA is not fit for purpose. Its totally dysfunctional. How on earth do you have an organisation absolutely awash with cash, so giving you virtually limitless resources, yet not only manage to be utterly shite, but continue to get worse and worse and worse with each tournament.

They need to sack every single last one of the lazy, complacent old guard at the FA and start again from scratch

mefty
    Free Member

If showing a bit of patriotism is the criteria – Ian Wright is a shoe-in.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Paying Hodgeson and now Big Sam (managers who’ve never actually won owt) over £3 million a year is madness.

My understanding, from listening to 5Live briefly this morning, is that the England manager pay is going to be heavily shifted towards being performance related.

As for the FA….

Football family my arse.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

1, Hoddle, has not coached or managed for yonks.
    2, an utter bellend imo.
    1, Sam, managed to get results in a pragmatic manner.
    2, Impossible to be worse than the last two fraudsters.

mikey74
    Free Member

FA should hire the cheapest manager they can find and invest the remainder of the cash in

youth development programs

. When the squad actually has some potential to do well, then look at getting a top class manager in.[/quote]

The trouble is that these are pointless when premier league teams are free to choose the best players from around the world. Young, English players just don’t get a look-in these days.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quite ironic, the one thing England, even for all the riches of the EPL, can’t produce is a successful manager –

But Big Sam has been successful, he’s been successful at all the clubs he’s managed, including West Ham and Sunderland, his most recent teams. Okay he’s not won anything, but he’s never had the players. Chances are he won’t win anything with England either, looking at the players available….but he at least deserves the chance.

Hoddle had his chance and Shearer had one go at it, failed and gave up!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Okay he’s not won anything, but he’s never had the players[b]

Pretty sure before last season the same could’ve been said regarding Ranieri…..

binners

I couldn’t get my head around people even suggesting Glen Hoddle. Seriously… WTF?!!!! 😯

He was hardly impressive back then, and not having managed for over ten years is hardly likely to have improved matters

fifeandy
    Free Member

The trouble is that these are pointless when premier league teams are free to choose the best players from around the world. Young, English players just don’t get a look-in these days.

Correct, they don’t get a look-in cos they aren’t as good. If a sufficiently talented player comes up through the ranks, impresses in B squad games or lower leagues you can be fairly sure the talent scouts will find him.
    Extra cash into talent identification and development is how the situation is rectified, not paying a lot of money for a manager.

MSP

In other nations, the top teams have feeder teams in lower divisions, allowing them to develop not just young players, but also coaches and managers. Blaming the success of the premier league is a red herring IMO, there are fundamental changes that could be made while still continuing the PL’s financial success.

When Guardiola took over Barcelona’s first team, he had been managing the academy squad, in a competitive league while preparing them with the tactics and skills to step up to the first team.

The FA made that proposal a few years back, but it was the lower league teams which blocked it, that should be pushed through IMO.

mikey74
    Free Member

you can be fairly sure the talent scouts will find him.

They’ll find him, alright; then he’ll move to a big club, rot in the reserves for a while (with the occasional cup game appearance), get bored, and eventually sign for a lower league team, whilst the big club buys in a ready-made, world class player to replace him.

It would be nice to have a national academy system that actually worked, but you’ve got to get around the win-at-all-cost attitude of the top clubs first.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Okay he’s not won anything, but he’s never had the players

Pretty sure before last season the same could’ve been said regarding Ranieri…..

Ah, but Ranieri couldn’t win anything when he did have the players!

Work that out? 🙂

binners

Finished second a lot though. Mrs Binners is a bolton fan and absolutely loves Big Sam. They punched well above their weight when he was manager. I used to enjoy the look on Arsense Wengers face on his annual trip to the Reebok to watch his expensive foreign artistes get hoofed off the park by the two Kevs. I believe Arsene is a big fan! 😆

Mackem

Gutted he’s left Sunderland. He’ll do well, he’s pretty good at polishing turds.

zokes
    Free Member

I used to enjoy the look on Arsense Wengers face on his annual trip to the Reebok to watch his expensive foreign artistes get hoofed off the park by the two Kevs.

I miss those days 🙁

Rockape63
    Free Member

I miss those days

I still have nightmares! 😥

MrSparkle

Me too zokes, me too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Sam Allardyce’ is closed to new replies.