Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Salutory Lesson – Central Heating content
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

Been a few “what boiler” threads on here lately, so I thought that this tale might be of interest.

Been having a few problems with central heating and hot water, so called a well known local plumber/gas waller in. All pucker and registered, even checked his vitals on line to make sure. Next thing I know is a sucking through teeth noise followed by “yer Boilers **** mate”, you’ll be needing a new one and while we’re at it you’ll have to have your mains fuse board replaced and the rest of the CH systems wiring checked and replaced if doesn’t meet standards. Boiler bill = £2500 and Wiring etc £500ish depending on what we find.

Me? ….. well I was looking at going ahead, bearing in mind this guy has a good reputation in the village where I live and so on. However Mrs BB happens to work with Alf’s Mrs. Now Alf’s Mrs has a husband who is also a registered gas installer and all round boiler/plumber old school type of individual. Alf came and had a look, sucked through his teeth, shook his head, muttered and then said I’ll be back on Wednesday. Good to his word sure enough he has been. System drained and flushed through, new pump fitted total bill £90 for parts and £45 for labour, and everything is working fine and Alf reckons we’ll get at least another 5 years out of the boiler.

So what the **** is that about ????

The lesson lovers, is to get a second opinion every time, regardless of what you think you know about the individuals concerned.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

get a second opinion every time

Oh yes indeedy!

We had a full CH system installed in our last house, apart from hot and cold tanks: Rads, pipework, boiler etc

We got 3 quotes from local independant firms ranging from about £3600 to £4300. All good chaps who I'd have been happy to use, all tradesmen and dressed as such. They all came round, measured up, went away and posted us a written quote.

However, there was someone (Who shall remain nameless) who kept banging on about British Gas, so we relented and got them to come round as well.
    A young bloke in a cheap suit came round, spent about 2 minues looking round and said "£6000, how does that sound?"
    So I showed him the other quotes. He sort of scuttled off, embarrased…. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Very true. I'm interested in the bit about changing the board, you certainly don't need a new board if a circuit is being replaced.

We bought a derelict house in 1999 and we had a mortgage with a retention? were you need certain things certified before they'd release the money in full.
    Anyway British Gas quoted nearly £2000 to sort the central heating, my mates company sorted and certified? it for free as there was so little needing doing, ten years later still no problems.

oldgit
    Free Member

OMG the words fate and tempted now spring to mind.

nuke

Same as PP…quoted around £2000 to £2500 for new boiler etc but, given British Gas had some cashback offer on, got a quote off them: they were about £1k more than the other quotes even with the cashback. The BG guy new as soon as he said we'd got quotes from local firms it was a waste of time him quoting as he kind of deflated when I said it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

BG charge absolutely criminal sums for boiler work. I had my boiler replaced a couple of years back, so there's nowt wrong with it. i wonder if I can get BG to quote for a replacement. Might be a giggle if I can be arsed

oldgit
    Free Member

Pays to know people. I'm in the electrical trade, but know guys from just about every other trade going. In 1999 we had the rewire, the central heating sorted, double glazed, wired alarm, guttering, kitchen supplied fitted including worktop cutting, two bathrooms, damp check, re plastered, fencing and paint, skip etc etc for about 5K.

Problem is I then went self employed and haven't done a thing to it since.
    But if I would have paid full price I wouldn't have afforded it.

AdamW
    Free Member

My **** Baxi p!leofsh!te kept breaking down – always flow sensors. Last time I lost my rag and got BG to give me a quote for a new one of similar oomph. The original boiler plus a couple of radiators cost about £1800 but they started the sucking through teeth offensive and mentioned drilling holes in my roof and came out with a quote of £4,000, after discount. I researched the boiler offered on tinternet and it was about £900 inc. VAT. BG had quoted £2,600 for the same thing, before VAT.

I got it fixed. Last Sunday the flow sensors went again. This time I know what to do!

On the other hand the first time it went wrong I called a local chap ("Combi boilers our specialtity"). After fiddling with it – and me finding out it was the flow sensors – he had managed to break the gas valve, PCB and the three-way valve thing which diverts between hot water and heating. Sacked sharpish and paid Baxi to come to fix.

BermBandit
    Free Member

UPdate on this sorry tale.

Got home last night, checked in with HMV, and in fact I misunderstood the situation. The guy stipped the pump out of the system, found clogged pipes around the pump, flushed them through and reinstalled it all. Total cost £45. Would have been plus £90 for a pump, but no pump was actually required.

Everything lovely and toasty again last night, and a bottle of Alf's favourite tipple is on the way as I type this. Hurrah for honest plumbers.

PS Tried the well thats £2500 for the bike kitty then? …… didn't work, apparently shes got Alf to quote for a new bathroom… strangely comes out at £2500 too apparently 😐

thehustler
    Free Member

I had similar problem recently, pressure release valve died on my boiler, I knew what was wrong but thought i would get someone to fix it, tried a few peeps and got "call out £x plus parts + labour to fix If that really is the problem". Once I knew the X= anything form 50-100 let alone the other bits I went and ordered the £8.38 part and fixed it myself.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Currently got a problem on a Volkera boiler that keeps cutting out on the hot water mid-stream. Local guy who checked it for a service as a homer said it was probably a flow valve but

Wife got a local plumbing company out, guy was there for 5minutes, read the manual & declared that it was the full PCB which they quoted £400 to replace. This is for a board that costs £100 + VAT from Volkera & max 1hrs fitting. To top it all, they've charged me £46 for the 5minute visit!

I know companies have overheads & everything but surely a fair price would be around £200?

Anyway, off to find the local guy again……… 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Salutory Lesson – Central Heating content’ is closed to new replies.