Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Salsa Vaya
  • rootes1

Quite like the look of the Salsa Vaya for a do anything bike build..

anyone got one? Nice bike or little over priced?

Nice looking one here:

druidh
    Free Member

I’d rather have a Fargo than a Vaya

rootes1

any particular reason?

geoffj

+1

druidh
    Free Member

From the Salsa website:

The Vaya is our road adventure bike, designed to handle any ‘road’ surface, from pavement to gravel.

(my bold)

For me, a true “do anything” bike has to have a more off-road bent. I currently own a VN Amazon which is my commuter, tourer and (with CX tyres fitted) I’ve taken it down some rougher stuff, including Glentress. However, it still betrays its road bias.

njee20
    Free Member

Gee’s got one, likes it. He may be along if he’s not on his way to Bristol!

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re a very nice bike, and everyone’s got their own ideas but, with these “utility” bikes I often wonder how well they’d be reviewed if they were from a less niche-y brand ?

druidh
    Free Member

Kona did/do the Sutra which is very similar to the Vaya. I’ve had one and loved it but found it a bit lardy for what I was riding. Other STW owners seem to rate them very highly too.

rootes1

I often wonder how well they’d be reviewed if they were from a less niche-y brand ?

Yep I wonder as well.

All rounder would not be much ‘proper’ offroad, more light trails,canal etc..

Think for me it would be for a road bias use.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Fargo and absolutely love it. A true go anywhere bike that is supremely comfortable (although i’m sure the 2.35″ Big Apple Tyres help there).

I’ve seen a Vaya in my LBS as it was built up as the same time as my Fargo for a different customer and they are very nice but as above, a tad more road oriented with less tyre clearance.

I’d expect the Vaya to weigh slightly less and maybe be a tad faster although my 31 lb Fargo is only 2/3 mins slower on my hilly 11 mile commute than my 19 lb road bike and on the Fargo i don’t have to worry about hitting potholes etc as it just eats them up.

rootes1

Mr Tall…

How tall are you? Your not the chap with a Swift are you?

What size is your Fargo?

stanley

Just finished building my Vaya up… but not riding it until this rain buggers off!!

I bought it frame only. Built it up reasonably light but tough. Really well designed frame; braze ons in just the right places, and lovely welds and paint. Will be used for mainly road work with the occasional off-road jaunt + a 3 month tour this Summer.

I didn’t want a Fargo (or that type) as I wanted it to be good for year round use in Britain; ie. mudguards! 28mm tyres will keep it quick on the road too.
    Frame weight is exactly the same as my Cross-check that it’s replacing (2250g on my scales). Quite light for a strong, tour ready frame. Much lighter than the new disc Kaffenback too!
    Frame is a 56cm and I’m 5’10” if that helps. Vayas come in 1cm increments which may help.
    Will do photos over the weekend.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I like my Vaya, but I have no desire to do much cycle touring off road. The odd towpath,forest road and even singletrack in the dry are fine, and it’ll take some fairly big tyres if needed. It’s a bit heavy for a tarmac-only bike, but it is nice to have the option for rougher terrain.

rootes1

Frame is a 56cm and I’m 5’10” if that helps

I’m 6′ 5″… hoping 60cm will be ok with a decent post

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″ and on a mahooosive XXL (24″) which is ace. Fargo’s are known to be a bit weird for sizing though as some people of the same size can ride M-XL depending on taste. I always just buy the biggest frame i can though. Mine is the older rigid only Fargo, not the newer suspension corrected one though which only goes up to XL.

The Vaya in my LBS is a 60cm and i think the rider is around 6’3/4″.

paulpalf
    Free Member

Got one for my commuter, and love it. Not light though, but disc brakes on a road bike are the mutts nutts, at least round here where it rains a lot (Vancouver).

That is a 60cm, I’m 6’2″. Running a 120mm stem, fleegle pro bars and a Velo Orange long setback seatpost to get the reach right (I would have a 58 with drop bars).

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I rode a lot of the Welsh Ride Thing with a guy on a vaya running big fat Smart Sams on it. It coped really well…unlike his anything cages which self destructed on day one

[video]http://vimeo.com/43495223[/video]

rootes1

cool ta for the bits above..

also thought about a Decade Tripster

they come in 60 and 63 thoygh they look more ‘road’ orientated that the Vaya..

Road.cc has a review at the mo as well
    http://road.cc/content/review/59634-kinesis-decade-tripster-frame-and-fork

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

get in touch with Paul Errington at http://shoestring-racing.blogspot.co.uk/.

He’s just ridden the Dirty Kanza 200 gravel race on a vaya so will probably give some good feedback on how it rides.

charliedontsurf

I have had couple in as demo bikes, but not right now.
    Great bikes, they manage to go well loaded up, and still have enough zing in the steel for a good unloaded ride feel.
    The Fargo is also great, aimed more at the dirt. But having said that my vaya went on MTB rides (tech, drop offs etc) all the time and was cool. It’s not what it’s intended for, but can do it.

Fargo… Mountain bike with drop bars
    Vaya… Very versatile cross bike

rootes1

Mr Tall,

You are indeed tall!

so you fargo at 24″ is a fraction over 60cm, so 60cm vaya sounds ideal – looks like they measure centre to actual top as well rather than measuring into space for an assumed horizontal tt

Si

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Vaya’ is closed to new replies.