Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Salsa Pony Rustler / Horsethief
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve had a version 1 horsethief for years but unfortunately I snapped the rear triangle.

I’ve been offered a good deal on a new salsa horsethief (pony rustler is the same bike but with a 27.5 plus set up I think)

In my head I think I’ve narrowed down my choices to a horsethief or a stump jumper 29 inch.

With Raleigh being the new distributor you don’t seem to see as many horsethiefs as you did before.

So does anyone have one, how do they find it. Please can you post some pictures, build list and a rough weight.

I also do a fair amount of bike packing, would that put you off the carbon frame? The carbon frame has a 5 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty on the aluminium frame. Having snapped a horsethief already its playing on my mind.

Thanks

fudge9202
    Free Member

Here’s mine, all in 27.5lbs.

llama

How did you break it?

damascus
    Free Member

Snapped it on day 4 of the pennine bridle way

llama

Interesting. Thought it would go on the bendy bit.

At presen, if mine broke, I’d have another, a Hightower, or maybe a segment

Carbon would not put me off as long as it was taped

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That spot is the weak point- I’ve just had a new chain stay because of the same issue – salsa were very good as it was out of warranty but didn’t quibble and just sent me a replacement. The good news is they’ve changed the weld detail to strengthen it up.

Having said that I bought a new frame when waiting so if anyone wants a large green frame with a strengthened rear its up for grabs

charliedontsurf

The split plot horse thief is amazing, a massive improvement over the first. It made me ride like I was ten years younger.

damascus
    Free Member

Pop larkin was yours a version 1 that broke? Raleigh and salsa can’t supply me with a replacement

fudge9202
    Free Member

Sadly mine hasn’t seen much riding this year due to other half’s spinal injury, but everytime I consider selling it I end up changing my mind (luckily) 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Damascus no the dw split link version awesome bikes -as charlie says a big improvement on the original

damascus
    Free Member

Whats the biggest rear tyre you can fit on the latest model?

Thanks

fudge9202
    Free Member

The largest I’ve ran in mine was a 2.35 Minion, really had no need for anything larger tbh.

BigR

No problem at all with a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the mucky off piste of Glentress this weekend. Had mine for nearly 2 years and still love it.

lex666

just checked mine … and it is starting to crack …. bummer

fudge9202
    Free Member

@lex666 I’m assuming it’s the version 1 Horsethief you have?

lex666

@fudge9202 no split pivot same as yours but mine is XL

fudge9202
    Free Member

Great! Better check mine then, cheers.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Lex666 – contact salsa via your dealer they really were excellent to deal with – worked off a photo of the crack and just sent a new chain stay – the new version is supposedly stronger so should be all good

lex666

fudge9202
    Free Member

Lex666 just in from meticulously checking my frame, all good no cracks thank goodness.

allyharp

There have been loads of these cracks popping up recently on the Horsethief Facebook group, and it’s making me almost want to find a crack. 😕 I’m a few months out of warranty but it almost feels inevitable now that it’ll break, so I’d rather it be sooner whilst they might still replace it and have stock in the matching green colour.

damascus
    Free Member

Did they replace the swing arm with a 142 rear or 148 boost?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Mine was a tequila lime one but they have replaced with a black swing arm which looks fine tbh- its non boost so avoids additional faffage

allyharp

Mine is also tequila lime. I assume they’ve got no swingarms left in that colour? Which size did you break pop? And was it another Horsethief frame that you bought whilst waiting?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Yes they’ve run out of lime- Im on a large.

I bought an orange segment- only had one ride so far and its not as poppy as the salsa but possibly a better fit for muddy rides- I’m waiting for a few more rides to decide which way to jump tbh

lex666

UPDATE

new chainstay assembly got delivered today. Great service from triton cycles and salsa, its like an early christmas present. Just got to put it all back together.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Must admit salsa’s customer care is excellent which is good to see- hope they get more coverage going forward as they make great bikes

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Pony Rustler / Horsethief’ is closed to new replies.