Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Salsa Fargo – anyone had one or ridden one?
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Thinking that they get my vote for the adventures being planned for next year!

boxelder

The magazine did a review a few months ago – Chipps took it across the Pyrenees. Try a search?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yeah I had a ride on one at a demo day earlier in the year. I enjoyed it, but I'm not convinced it's any better than a 29er like the Swift (for example) for touring. Sure you get all the millions of bottle & rack bosses, but there are ways around that. It's also a bit hefty and not very versatile from a setup point of view (not suspension corrected, drop bar), and it's not going to be as much fun on short blasts imho if you want to use it as a multi-purpose bike. I've built up my Pegasus as a do-it-all bike, great fun on evening singletrack blasts, but still super comfy on long rides. Got some Revelate bags on the way, will be a great combo I reckon (same should also apply to the Swift).

MrTall
    Free Member

A few people on here have one, Gravitysucks was talking about his on a thread yesterday. I have one on order which should hopefully be here in the next couple of weeks.

Never ridden or even seen one but it was bought on a whim after i lost out to one on ebay.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

not ridden a fargo – but just yesterday I had a Kona Sutra delivered, which is quite similar.
    First impressions are good.

cozz
    Free Member

I was looking ast one a year ago, saw a kona sutra too but its real heavy, and was more touring based

I liked the fact I could swap thick and thin tyres into the fargeo and started getting parts together to build one up

But then went with a leftfield choice of a pugsley and swap tyres between 2,5 hookworms and 3,7 endos' Ive fitted front and rear rack and titiec h bars and it make a great kinda adventure tourer and all round bike

so I'd have a good look around and see as many options as you can

Mowgli
    Free Member

I've ordered a Vaya which sounds quite similar but a bit more road based.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Rode one at a test day on the Ridgeway. Great fun. Most surprised how well it handled stoney tracks. Did feel a touch heavy but I was comparing it to my SS cross bike. Climbed easier than the lightish full suss mtb I got off. if I had the money I'd buy a frame. Not a great fan of bar end shifters despite having at least 1 set on the go for many years. I'd buy a frame I think and set it up with Campag stuff.
    There must be other stuff out there similar. The Vaya looks even nicer and lighter. but I think I would prefer a wider tyre option.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

is there anywhere near Sheffield that stocks them?

chipps

mattsccm – I run STI shifters on mine – I got some NOS Ultegra nine speed STIs, an XT 'trekking' chainset (48,32,24 or something) and an 11-32 cassette… And now that you can get 10sp MTB stuff, I'd have thought it'd be even easier to set up to run road STIs (and Avid BB7s)

freeform5spot
    Free Member

chipps – got an pics to share?

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m torn between brakes levers and bar end shifters or STI levers at the moment to go with the BB7’s. Would probably have to be 9 speed though if i can grab some off ebay. This is assuming the frame ever shows up….

You can see a picture of Chipps’ one on the Salsa website if you go to the reviews section on the Fargo page.

druidh
    Free Member

I can’t believe there’s much difference in the weight of a Sutra and a Fargo or Vaya.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Fargo – anyone had one or ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.