Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Salmon fillets as part of a healthy diet
  • I like a nice bit of salmon fillet occassionally and it’s a good source of omega 3 etc.

The question being – eat the skin, or leave it, thus cutting out some of the fat?

Solo
    Free Member

I like a nice bit of salmon fillet occassionally and it’s a good source of omega 3 etc.

The question being – eat the skin, or leave it, thus cutting out some of the fat?

I remove the skin and eat the fat, along with the meat.

You do avoid the farmed stuff, I hope….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yesterday I ate an entire packet of smoked salmon for breakfast.*
    Today I had 5 sausages.

I’m not dead yet. Eat the skin, it’s tasty.

*buy one get 2 free at co-op, makes it the same £/kg as steak!

zimbo
    Free Member

isn’t the skin where a lot of the good oils are?

ton

i bake it skin side up with a bit of sea salt and chilli flakes on it, nice and crispy skin then.
    very nice!

donsimon
    Free Member

Is this really a serious question?
    Doesn’t the I’mdave diet advocate drinking beer and eating burgers?

bigjim

farmed salmon is evil stuff, I do eat it a few times a year but its best to avoid it.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Why the fear hatred of farmed? Eat lots of it and I’m happier with the production of that than many other sources of meat & veg.

The kids really look forward to it, especially if I give them a bit of stir fried veg in soy sauce with it.

TooTall
    Free Member

farmed salmon is evil stuff,

“Farmed salmon is not as niche as wild salmon”

It is’t as good as wild, but it certainly isn’t evil.

Is this really a serious question?Doesn’t the I’mdave diet advocate drinking beer and eating burgers?

What are you on about? I don’t eat burgers and get away with drinking, I don’t advocate it.

mrmo
    Free Member

farmed salmon is evil stuff,

Totally biased but it is based on truth.

I eat farmed salmon, it is food, fundamental problem is most food we buy has a negative environmental impact due to the processes used in its production. The real issue is how to produce the food we need without using questionable practices?

bruneep

I take it you dont eat farmed beef? just wild cattle.

donsimon
    Free Member

What are you on about? I don’t eat burgers and get away with drinking, I don’t advocate it.

That’ll be my mistake Chinese/kebab and curry not burgers.

What I do eat occassionally (moderation is key):

Bacon, chicken kebab, curry, or chinese.

What I have a lot of:

I still drink a lot of booze, so if I could cut that out I’d be on an even bigger winner.
    Back to my original point of you worrying about the fat content of the salmom skin in comaprison to the fat content of the I’mDave diet. I thought that tou actually knew what you were talking about from the I’mDave post. Back to a proper diet for me.
    Are you or are you not advocating Chinese/kebabs and curry as part of the I’mDave diet?
    If so, why is a bit of extra fat an issue?

grum
    Free Member

Salmon: Factory Farm vs. Wild

Interesting reading. Apparently you shouldn’t eat farmed salmon more than once a month! It’s also fattier and contains less Omega-3s.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

isn’t the skin where a lot of the good oils are?

This.

If the skin is crispy it’s delicious, like chicken skin. Season the skin then pan fry it skin side down for 3/4 of the cooking time, then flip it for a minute or two. Or as Ton says, bake (or grill) skin side up…the oil will trickle down and help keep the flesh moist.

magowen100
    Free Member

First off salmon store the majority of fat between the muscles so the skin makes very little difference. If you like it eat it otherwise don’t.
    Secondly if it’s a choice between farmed salmon and a burger take the salmon. Eating healthy food is a relative difference so while I would agree that wild salmon has higher levels omega-3, the UK diet is normally low in these oils as we don’t eat as much oily fish as we used to. Bottom line is any fish is better than none.
    No offence grum but that link above – piss poor pop science at best but I won’t go into detail as I work for a fish food company so I have my own bias.

Haze

Skin on, lots of black pepper.

Oil, soy, chili, ginger & spring onion in a separate pan.

Serve on noodles 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

I eat the lot, head, fins, tail, crunchtastic.

donsimon
    Free Member

Secondly if it’s a choice between farmed salmon and a burger take the salmon.

Not too sure about this one.
    I’d take the burger and bin the bread personally.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

fish is good and we should all eat loads of it – we live on an island after all!

however the problem with farmed salmon is twofold, first that they are feeding the salmon on wild caught fish and there is a drop in efficiency. without bothering to search for actual figures, the idea is that 10kg of wild fish like sardines go into 1 kg of salmon. the sardines are better for you then salmon so its a waste. second, the fish farms often (not always) have a detrimental effect on the area around them – slamon dont tend to congregate in such numbers and the waste and parasites they give off cause damage to wild fish staocks local to them.

the other problem is that salmon is a top predator (unlike cows in the farmed beef analogy above) this means that they are accumulating all the toxins from the prey they are eating (heavy metals etc) which you are then eating, and also accumulating over your lifetime. heavy metals cause problems in the brain later in life (dementia etc) – something heavily on the rise
    ever wondered why we dont eat land predators?

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I saw a chicken eat a mouse once

higgo
    Free Member

Secondly if it’s a choice between farmed salmon and a burger take the salmon.

Not too sure about this one.
    I’d take the burger and bin the bread personally.

So would I.
    But not on health grounds.

Back to my original point of you worrying about the fat content of the salmom skin in comaprison to the fat content of the I’mDave diet. I thought that tou actually knew what you were talking about from the I’mDave post. Back to a proper diet for me.
    Are you or are you not advocating Chinese/kebabs and curry as part of the I’mDave diet?
    If so, why is a bit of extra fat an issue?

There you go – not even reading the stuff you are quoting. I said occassionally with the Chinese & chicken kebab – even the iDave has cheat days. You do know that a chicken kebab is chunks of breast meat griddled with peppers & onions, don’t you?

Anyway, I never claimed to know what I was talking about in any respect other than what seems to be working for me.

The salmon question was based around it being part of my weekly diet and merely wondered if it was healthier to leave the skin on or not. Not so sure why that’s getting you so hot under the collar.

magowen100
    Free Member

Jonah

however the problem with farmed salmon is twofold, first that they are feeding the salmon on wild caught fish and there is a drop in efficiency. without bothering to search for actual figures, the idea is that 10kg of wild fish like sardines go into 1 kg of salmon. the sardines are better for you then salmon so its a waste.

Partially true – the fish feed industry use fishmeal mainly from Peru and Chile where capelin is the main target. There was a Nature paper that worked out at the time (early 2000’s) approx 7kg of wild caught fish went into 1kg of farmed fish. There are semantics over how to calculate this but that figure is much much lower now. For example current salmonid feeds contain around 15% fishmeal, in the early 2000’s it was 30-50%. We can actually take the fishmeal content down to 5% (lower than that the salmon don’t like the taste) by using other proteins (vegetable and outside of the EU animal by-products).
    You are right though it would be a whole lot better if poeople started eating sardines and herring again.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that the reason farmed fish is lower in omega 3 than wild caught fish is precisely because alternatives to fish oil are being used.

second, the fish farms often (not always) have a detrimental effect on the area around them – slamon dont tend to congregate in such numbers and the waste and parasites they give off cause damage to wild fish staocks local to them.

Again partially true – good farms don’t have as big an effect as bad farms do, and that is the same for any kind of farming.
    If you want to have the best farmed salmon try Loch Duarts its very good; the owner makes sure there are longer fallow periods for sites so that waste doesn’t build up under the cages. They also have lower stocking densities and custom feed made. The quality of the final product is better for it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Anyway, I never claimed to know what I was talking about in any respect

Amen brother, amen.

😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Salmon fillets as part of a healthy diet’ is closed to new replies.