Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • salisbury plain question.does anyone know if there is an mod web page …
  • racefaceec90

that lets you know the dates that the plain is open to the public? can only find a phone number on the mod site.as i never have any credit on my mobile 😳 it would be a lot easier if i could find out the dates online. as always thanks in advance 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

The phone number is the only updated source of firing times. There isn’t a website with that level of detail.

thomthumb
    Free Member

credit on my mobile

are you 12?

racefaceec90

no why?

cinnamon_girl

Here you go raceface

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neilskelton/imber/sptanews8.pdf

I believe the recorded message info is only updated weekly and any info is liable to change.

racefaceec90

thanks cinnamon girl 😀 it’s great to cycle to stonehenge on salisbury plain,when it is open. the only problem was,last time i cycled there (quite a while ago)by stonehenge,they had built a whole new set of roads,so i got lost 😳 p.s hope you’re feeling better 😉

cinnamon_girl

Salisbury Plain is an amazing place but, yes, it’s pretty confusing with the Army roads and some of them aren’t shown on the OS maps! Fortunately I did ride to Imber over the August Bank Holiday, had been hoping to ride across for the Xmas Service but that’s not possible now. 🙁

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yep, as per CGs above there is no web page but a regular Newsletter which goes to lots of organisations many of whom stick it up on line:

Here’s a few more:

http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/
    http://www.collingbourne-ducis.com

Re Maps, you’re right there are a lot more roads than shown on the OS – you need a copy of the ‘special’ OS – also shows MoD designations etc. Lots of them about – you just need to know who to ask – I bet TooTall has got one 🙂

stainman
    Free Member

I managed to circumnavigate the area of Salisbury Plain between Westbury and Tilshead but it wasn’t the most fun. I plotted a 29 mile route but ended up doing 37 due to confusion on the ground and I know I ended up on footpaths and strayed into MOD territory for a few miles…I think it was the massive tank tracks and Apache circling overhead that gave it away! 🙂

Since then I’ve stuck to plotting more obvious loops off the Plain to save frustration and potentially ending up as target practice!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You can cycle the whole plain – less the areas with red flags. I lived and MTB over it all for 8 yeras. Just give way to armoured vehicles 😉 and obvious troop exercises and you wont have a problem. The range wardens in the pick ups are bike friendly and are mainly on the look out for motor cycle and 4 x 4 off road brigade.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can cycle the whole plain – less the areas with red flags.

Yep, agreed. Keep an eye on the newsletter for more, and I think the Salisbury Journal publish a bit too.

re Rights of way – Tanks win. When they’re actually running!
    Agree about the range wardens as well, always good for a chat.

Pawsy, which bit of the Plain are you from then?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Was from Tidworth then Amesbury 🙂 Some great riding on the plain. Peaceful to. Now in Bristol Cwm carn and Afan on my door step 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amesbury? Shudders….! Good curry house, though! I used to live a few villages to the North…

TVDTA is always a giggle up by Sidbury. Some nice playground stuff in the woods around there as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘salisbury plain question.does anyone know if there is an mod web page …’ is closed to new replies.