Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sale forum payments-Paypal and 'gift'
  • zbonty

If you sell something on the forum to someone you don’t know, why would you accept Paypal ‘gift’ payments?

It does’nt stack up for me. You receive the cash, post an item and could then find yourself having the cash taken back off you through a ‘chargeback’ and be a double loser with no cash and no bike bits.

Just to save a couple of quid in fees seems like a ridiculous gamble. Am i missing something?

druidh
    Free Member

If Paypal is the chosen payment option then there has to be some agreement as to who pays the fees. It does seem as if the seller has more to gain, so that just has to be figured into the price (in the same way as postage is).

zbonty

Surely the seller has everything to lose (potentially) if you accept a gift payment, which has no buyers address on it and the cash gets clawed back and you lose an item.

I have the view that Paypal is the likeliest/easiest payment method so you have to just accept the fees for security/ease of use. I would’nt advertise a price and then say can i have £2.47p extra to cover fees.

£20 posted means just that, not £20 plus a small fee, plus 50p and i’ll tie a nice bow on it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

with a gift you cannot claim you dod not get the item or clawaback can you

if you do it as payment for something the buyer can then fie a dispute and claim they did not get it etc

TBH I assume sellers do it because they want the price not the price – PP fees rather than it being an attempt from anyone to rip anyone else off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Buying I will do gift for small amounts and known sellers. with unknown sellers I will use ordinary paypal and pay the fees myself

poly
    Free Member

zbonty, as JY says I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. If you pay for something by “gift” you can’t then complain to Paypal that it doesn’t arrive/turn up as expected. Its not the seller who needs to worry its the buyer.

Whilst I think JY is right that 99% of people doing it are just trying to avoid the fees rather than scam anyone, I think its wrong to expect the buyer to pick up the cost of the transaction AND expose themselves to the risk and anyone pricing a “sale” on the internet who doesn’t factor in paypal fees is just dumb.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CHargeback => not arrived => claim from RM who wil chase recipient for proof of non receipt.

I’ve had **** all scams in 600 odd ebay sales and quite a few here (you just check someone’s posting history, no?), have I been lucky?

poly
    Free Member

CHargeback => not arrived => claim from RM who wil chase recipient for proof of non receipt.

RM = Royal mail? They won’t chase anybody. It will be the senders job to make a claim from Royal Mail, which takes ages but will usually pay out if not delivered (assuming you sent it recorded/special delivery – otherwise you’re fecked).

99.9% of people are genuine and not out to scam anyone. A small fraction of them though are so poor at looking after their own affairs that they take the money and forget to go to the post office for weeks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My last RM claim took 3 weeks IIRC, and they certainly have in teh past chased the recipient.

Oh and back to school…£46 compo on any RM postage.

julianwilson
    Free Member

No worries here about sellling using paypal gift, since you know if you’ve got the money before you post whatever it is you are selling. The risk is with the buyer as seller might not send you anything and if so paypal will not help you.

With normal paypal the risk is with the seller, ie if the stuff is lost in post or buyer denies they recieved it, paypal does chase the seller.

For these two reasons (rubbish/corrupt post and fraudulant buyers) an increasing number of ebay sellers will not sell to certain countries.

convert

Buyer should always pay the fees imo and work that cost into if they want to buy the item and pay for it the easy way (inc. putting secondhand goods on a credit card). If not happy with that they can always send a cheque and wait for it to clear before they get their stuff or bank transfer. The buyer gets the benefits, so the buyer should pay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sale forum payments-Paypal and 'gift'’ is closed to new replies.