• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Salad Niçoise
  • tails
    Free Member

Can I swap the anchovies for fish sauce in the dressing or is that like playing with fire?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

well it won’t be a salad nicoise

ianfitz
    Free Member

anchovies are optional. Much debated but not needed.

Don’t put fish sauce on it though. No.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The nicois bit refers to the olives so in theory yes, but that’s like taking the mashed potato out of course cottage or Shepards pie. If you don’t like anchovies then just have a green salad with potatoes, olives and green beans.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, you can leave them out but thats a different salad. I don’t like anchovies either but tolerate them mixed into a Ceasers dressing. I never order a Niscoise.

slackalice
    Free Member

Alternatively, do what you want and like! They’re not rules, more like guidelines and I don’t think the hand of he who shall not be believed will smite you for customising a salad.

It’s your world OP, your universe, your life…. be free! 😀

tails
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m very tempted by the anchovies as I’ve never eaten them before except in pre made stuff, plus I’ve heard they enhance the flavour rather than take over. Ill stead clear of the fish sauce

slowoldman

Make whatever salad you like and give it a name.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Fish sauce and lime juice make for a nice simple se Asian dressing

nickc

The great thing about cooking in your own home, is you can do whatever you like, and call it whatever you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Salad Niçoise’ is closed to new replies.