Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SAHMURAI S.W.O.R.D. tubless slugs
  • mahalo

Anyone use this kit? worth a punt?

I know this has been around a couple of years but (thanks the the chain oil thread) I was just ordering some smoove lube from mtbriders and noticed they had these in…

cant help thinking I could just shove the tools from my trusty weldtite kit in my bar plugs with a blob of sugru maybe…?

Stoner
    Free Member

Theyre a great idea. I keep a set in my bike in France. Not many stockists.

Shred
    Free Member

I have one, works well, nice storage, easy to get to when needed.

You just need to be sure your bars are not reinforced at the ends else they will not fit.

submarined
    Free Member

I did the cheap alternative you’ve suggested.
    3 quid ally bar plugs from CRC, drilled a hole down the length of the Weldtite tool handles that was slightly smaller than the thread on the bar plug bolts, and then screwed the tools on. Taped the plugs themselves to one of the tools with leccy tape, and a spare quick link to the other. S few wraps of leccy tape around the handles to stop them rattling, and boom, done.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I went the other way, spent more and got a dynaplug pill. All tubeless needs sorted in the size of a kinder egg toy thingy.

mahalo

love it submarined. ive got ergon gd1 grips that have their own plastic end plugs – reckon i could probably wedge my tools in with blutac!

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I have been using them for a few years now.

Its a great piece of kit!!

Northwind

Can you buy refills for it? (bike sized ones I mean, I have motorbike worms but they’re a lot thicker and harder to use than the ones that come with pushbike kits)

mahalo

readily available on ebay i believe? i still have loads from a couple of wedtite kits – i cut them all in half!

medoramas
    Free Member

I tried to use these things on the trail recently… Is it actually possible to get the “slug” into the insertion tool? The stuff is so thick, hard and sticky it was not possible to fit it into the tool’s fork (to then push it into the puncture)… It looks easy on the paper manual! 😕

mahalo

yeah ive been using the tool and slugs for years, just never stored them in my bars before. it is a bit fiddly, its a good idea to have one loaded up ready to use, but yeah usually have to drag the slug through the eye with my teeth!

cnud
    Free Member

You can open up the prongs to no ill effect, ya knows

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, ye can open the prongs a wee bit, or tbh I don’t bother threading it, just use the tool to push it in. Fnarr.

Northwind

mahalo – Member

readily available on ebay i believe? i still have loads from a couple of wedtite kits – i cut them all in half!

Yeah, if I need refills I just buy another weldtite kit but it’s kind of annoying. You can buy car/motorbike ones easily but I’ve never seen the little bike ones separately, if anyone’s got a link that’d be cool

orena45

Great idea, but take a lesson from my ineptitude when I tried it! – Review on my blog

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

When you crash and the end of your bars hits the ground you will break the knurled part off rendering them useless.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

There’s an opportunity here for someone to post up pictures of their own DIY Bar End mounted tubeless kit.

Northwind

@ashy, that’s the fat motorbike type, I was hoping to find ones just like come with the kits. THe motorbike ones do work but they’re harder to use on small holes

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s great although it did snap off as someone mentioned above. I hacksawed the broken bit off and now it slots perfectly into a superstar plastic cap.

Northwind I use the motorbike ones and cut them lengthways with a Stanley so they fit into the tool. Seem much stickier than the mtb ones and work really well. Also very cheap

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Oh, it said they were the thin ones? Soz!

submarined
    Free Member

There’s an opportunity here for someone to post up pictures of their own DIY Bar End mounted tubeless kit.

O hai

It’s not pretty, but it works, and they’re solid.
    It’s even less pretty as I had to shave down the elastomery bits to get them to fit in my bars!

mahalo

Well the tools don’t fit in my current end plugs so that’s out, they are also a pain to remove so I might take a punt… as mentioned tho my bar ends always look mangled so dubious how long they will last..

submarined
    Free Member

The CRC plugs are about 3 quid and alloy. They are low profile and secure with a small Allen key. I think something would have to go pretty wrong to rip them out tbh. I’ve had some massive stacks with them in and they’re still perfectly intact! Just need to make sure you’ve got the right size hex with you to get them out.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SAHMURAI S.W.O.R.D. tubless slugs’ is closed to new replies.