Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • safest route from bridgewater to minehead.
  • mattymer
    Free Member

I'm planning to ride to Minehead from Bristol on a rd bike in the near future to see friends, have planned the route as far as bridgewater but have been told the A39 is lethal in places. Is there a safer easy route thru the Q's or should i just MTFU and ride defensively on the A39.

knottie8
    Free Member

##no "e" in Bridgwater##

yes cut through the Qs.Google earth is the best way to check a route .

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I'd head out of Bridgy and up towards Enmore. That'll take you up onto the Q's, you will probably then be able to pick a route through the villages.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A39 bad.

Bridgwater, turn off the A39 in town on West St/Durleigh Rd opposite Bangla Restaurant, Spaxton, Hawkridge Reservoir, top of Cothelstone Hill, (descending to) Bagborough, Crowcombe, join the A368 (sorry), turn off after 2km to Bicknoller, St Audries. All little quiet scenic lanes.

Aim for the scenic coast road from St Audries that goes through Doniford, Watchet, Blue Anchor and Carhampton to re-join the A39. After 2km-ish you get to Dunster and there is a cycle track into Minehead.

Dibbs
    Free Member

All little quiet scenic lanes.

As someone who lives there, I'd say those lanes are nearly as bad as the A39 due to ****ts driving and using mobile phones.
    I'd go down Cothlestone Hill to Bishops Lydeard, turn right and out onto the A358 (not A368) by Cedar Falls and after a couple hundred yards left onto the B3224, then right at Elworthy Cross onto the B3188, which will take you to Washford.

sharki
    Free Member

Just watch out for Mrs Dibbs backing out of Cothelstone cottages on the corner after a 50mph descent 😉

TBH, all the roads round there are driven fast, the problem with the A39 is the lack of any verge. Also it's a raceway for motor cyclists, with scares the bejesus out of you when they suddenly appear at speed cutting the apex of the corner you're on.

Look into Dibbs suggestion, that'll miss out most the A roads and at a guess only add another 7-8 miles, but they will be scenic miles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘safest route from bridgewater to minehead.’ is closed to new replies.