Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Sadly, another tyre question…
  • willard

Also, my first one, so be gentle.

This weekend’s ride in the scenic Cotswolds highlighted that my rear tyre was on the way out, with the tread getting pretty worn on some of the descents (mental note, need new brake pads) and slipping on some of the sideways inclines and tree roots.

In conversation over cake at the end, the topic of 26″ tyres dying out was mentioned and so I would liek to ask advice on what I should be considering for new rubber for the back of my Stumpy, probably something that I can stockpile for the future.

Currently I have the stock Spec Purgatory 2.3 on the front (which is still fine for tread and seems to work well enough) and I’d considered a Hans Dampf in 2.35 for the back, but I’ve heard that the Nobby Nic is a better rear tyre.

Most of my riding is in places like Thetford and Cannock, but Sunday’s Cotswold JennRide made me want to head out that way more, so a tyre that can handle those sort of conditions would be ace. I’m open to suggestions on a change of front too.

jimjam
    Free Member

Dunno where you’re riding but a Purgatory has been a great rear tyre for me. Everything from gravel trail centres to wet rooty, rocky steep “dh” trails. Superb all rounder.

devash
    Free Member

If you want to stay with Specialized then I’d recommend Purgatory front, Ground Control rear in dryer weather and Butcher front, Purgatory rear for the autumn / winter.

Both have worked exceptionally for the general trail / XC riding that I do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Sadly, another tyre question…’ is closed to new replies.