Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saddlebag as an alternative to pannier for commuting?
  • finnegan
    Free Member

My commute is bike train walk, the ride long enough to justify a pannier, the walk long enough to justify a rucksack.

Currently I have a rack on the road bike and use a single Ortlieb backroller pannier plus the slightly awkward Ortlieb rucksack adapter. The pannier usually contains bike locks, pump, spare tube, multitool etc, clothes for the office, lunch, warm coat for the train and the bike lights while the bike is at the station, so a bunch of stuff but not full.

With winter coming I’ll be moving onto the cross bike, but I’m reluctant to put the pannier rack on it for the weekdays and take it off for the weekends.

Are there any biggish waterproof saddlebags out there that don’t need a rack, release quickly and carry comfortably while walking (shoulder strap or rucksack style), or am I asking for strong, light and cheap?

Thanks,

qwerty
    Free Member

A guy at work uses a saddlebag attatched to his Brooks saddle, not all saddles have the attachments, will yours?

What about a qr seatpost mounted rack with top bag?

Would a saddlebag be qr? Just thinking if its fixed to your bike containing your valuables and your not with it.

finnegan
    Free Member

I’m fairly flexible on the saddle – I have several kicking around, so could probably find one with whatever attachments are needed. It’s the big enough bag that comes off easily and is practical for carrying that I’m stuck with (and the bag will never be left attached to the bike when I’m not riding it).

I hadn’t thought about a qr seatpost mounted rack to support the bag – good point. Any bag recommendations for sitting on such a rack?

d45yth
    Free Member

Would you not be better off just using a decent rucksack? I know it’s better to get the weight off your back when biking, but it doesn’t seem like you would be carrying much weight anyway? (Unless your bike locks are heavy).

TheBrick
    Free Member

carradice do the best large saddlebags around, you will need one of the mounting options too.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have on my bikes tiny saddlebags big enough to carry just tyre levers, patches, and allen keys. I keep a spare inner tube at work. I carry my work folder in a rucksack, together with a small Lezyne pump.

finnegan
    Free Member

@d45yth, a rucksack would definitely be easier, but I detest riding with one…

@TheBrick, I’ve looked at Carradice, thanks, but none of their (many) models is quite what I’m looking for: the Brompton-specific bags are somewhere close, but not quite (and the fixings do look very specific to Brompton)

Any other experiences? I can’t believe I’m the only commuting STWer who doesn’t like riding with a rucksack but has a substantial walk having left the bike!

Stoner
    Free Member

I commute with a Carradice SUper C saddlebag on an SQR mount. Its the same set up I used on a 5,000km tour.

rootes1

@TheBrick, I’ve looked at Carradice, thanks, but none of their (many) models is quite what I’m looking for: the Brompton-specific bags are somewhere close, but not quite (and the fixings do look very specific to Brompton)

You can fit the brompton block on other bikes with a bit of thought…

though have both a Caradice SQR and a Brompton bag – the carradice is waterproof.

carradice used to a do a backpack converter for their SQR Slim, Trax and Tour bags – but they stopped doing it… but they are still easy enough to carry and are all 16litres..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saddlebag as an alternative to pannier for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.