Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Saddle Soreness
  • rockitman

Have started doing much longer rides including 24hr solos.

Out for 10 hrs yesterday and the reason I was stopping in the final 2 hrs was not tiredness but bloody discomfort. Have tried all manner of combinations – 3 different seats – Fizik Gobi, SDG Yeti & On One – different types of shorts – sudocream, chamois butter. Nothing seems to have a huge impact.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

clubber
    Free Member

I'm not sure I want to hear the answers but where exactly is sore?

Are you sure you're sitting properly on the saddle – it sounds silly but a lot of people don't have them adjusted right so they will always find them uncomfortable.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've been struggling with this lately as well (the groin chafing type). I reluctantly spunked £150 on some Assos bib shorts & happily they've improved the situation enormously. What kind of soreness are you getting? Arse bruising / groin chafing etc?

trail_rat
    Free Member

rockitman – i had the same issue on friday

ive used my selle italia SLR for 10 and 24 hour solos no bother and all the training associated …

fridays ride was alot warmer and alot rockier than normal

my suspicions are that because i was sweating so much the skin on my buttocks was softened – and the rocks jarring was bruising my bum … its still sore today – yet after strathpuffer 24 i was riding to work on the monday !

rockitman

Groin chafing. Undoubtedly groin chafing.

You have just highlighted a very good point though. Since March I have been predominatly riding a fully rigid hardtail – was on a full sus before. Maybe that's why…

clubber
    Free Member

Could well be. Or it could be the humid weather.

Check that you are actually sitting on the saddle with your sit bones though (get someone else to look – it's not always obvious to the rider) – a lot of people either sit over the back of the saddle or too far to the front, either way results in more pressure on the groin.

therealhoops
    Free Member

applied with one of these

theotherjonv

Do you apply chamois cream liberally to start with? And then what. Sweat it away for the next ten hours?

I've found fresh application to be extremely useful on longer rides, even if it does cause eyebrow raising if you are spotted as you chuck a dollop down your shorts 'in public' (bibshorts make this aspect worse still)

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find chamois cream to cause similar problems to sweat – its not always the answer … i find the best way to avoid soreness below is to keep it dry – dry from sweat and dry from water … havnt chamois cream in 2 years – had 2 issues both times its been on 10hr plus rides in sweltering heat – 24 degrees +

(it was mid way round my nz ride that i discovered the issues with chamois cream…)
    Do you apply chamois cream liberally to start with? And then what. Sweat it away for the next ten hours?

I've found fresh application to be extremely useful on longer rides, even if it does cause eyebrow raising if you are spotted as you chuck a dollop down your shorts 'in public' (bibshorts make this aspect worse still)

vaseline seems to work for me though – keeps the skin from breaking up it would seem – does stop it breathing but doesnt seem an issue – keeps my bum dry !

ourmaninthenorth

The worst chafing I ever suffered was 12 hours doing 165 miles in the rain of Flanders this year. I still have the scars 😯 to show for it….

I've now switched to using Sudocrem as my chamois cream as it's thicker. Definitely get it liberally applied to yourself AND your shorts before you start.

Then, if you're doing long events (especially 24hr races), make sure every few laps you apply some more.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's the humid conditions I reckon

wonnyj
    Free Member

I didn't get on with sudocream, but Udderly Butterly is awesome.

Also better shorts helped me.

rootes1

overly large shorts do not help as they ruckle up in this area, think you are always best getting shorts on the snug side

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sudocreme is very drying – it's good for treating saddle sores but is really not the thing to use to prevent them.

Assos chamois cream works for me and the advice i've heard from real indurance riders is to apply masses of it. Vaseline is probably effective but wouldn't want to have to wash it out.

carlphillips
    Free Member

during the 24/12 this weekend, frequent re applications of udderly cream didnt prevent me from hurting quite a lot now…im guessing the mud and water didnt help much either !

rockitman

Thanks for the advice. Will try taking the chamois cream out with next time…

jonb
    Free Member

Go for lycra only if you are not already. Chaffing is caused by damp from sweat, baggies make you hotter.

On the road it is common to do periodic standing up when the going is good as it lets some blood flow back and allows the sweat to evapourate.

I assume you've played with your saddle positioning?

On a 24hr, have some wet wipes and a change of shorts.

I suffer, but some expensive shorts (dhb knowle) and a good handful of udderly smooth makes it bearable. No issues under 6 hours, after that I just accept it the same as my legs starting to hurt.

project
    Free Member

Baby wipes , and then some tightish lycra shorts, as they allow you to sweat and breathe, the moisture evaporates easier.

Make sure theyre pulled up as well,not hanging loose as this causes rubbing and chaffing, why not try landacane as well, they will even send you a free sample.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Cannot fault the Topeak Allay Nomad seat from SJSCycles It comes in a variety of widths and have never been saddle sore after two years of riding The Velo Cruiser saddle is a cheaper comfy option too from SJSCycles

mattsccm
    Free Member

Must admit to feeling the same way last night after 2 nong days in the saddle. Thinking about it I decied that the sensation!! was the same as that I get on my knees when motorcycle trail riding in the winter. I wear fleece tights then and the hairs on my knees are snagged by the fleece. i tried shaving my knees and probelm solved. Now I have to persuade the missus to take her lady shave to my arse before a long ride. 😯
    Sounds daft but if you are a hairy type it could be your probelm.

pedalhead
    Free Member

good luck when you get stubble rub! 😈

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Saddle Soreness’ is closed to new replies.