Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • saddle sore and climbing fitness
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Hey all, I went out last night and put in a few miles in the Peaks, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

My main problem at the minute is my fitness on climbing (I just seem to be so slow at getting up hills) I would like to blame this on my bike but obviously its my fitness. I seem to lose energy very fast and probably use the granny ring a little too much.

Also I’m bloody saddle sore! as soon as I get going.

Any pointers y’all?

watsontony
    Free Member

what you riding?

lipseal
    Free Member

Just keep at it, that more you ride the easier it gets, but it takes time. The main part of any ride is too enjoy it! HTH 8)

benjii19
    Free Member

GT Tequesta from about ’98

jam-bo

ride more.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If your fat loose weight biggest quickist gain. You need a high power to weight ratio.

Short hills – attack flat out out high cadence, carry speed zoom climb!
    Long hills – climb within areobic zone

Granny ring isnt the best climbing gear, 2nd and third much better even for technical

Gym – leg press, aim to develop reps pressing x 2 body weight
    Turbo – low cadence high resistance

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do some off the bike training – i found it helped me immensely.

Start off with 1/2 hour routine incorporating kettlebells (swing), some squats (with kettlebell), and calf raises and leg raises…

Jogging also helps aswell as 30second period training on the bike – 30 seconds flat out, 30 seconds cruising, repeat for 5 to 10 minutes.

Good luck.

jonba
    Free Member

Ride more! You can train in a gym but it is more fun on a bike.

You shouldn’t be too concerned about the gear you are using as long as your cadence is comfortable and you are getting up things. I’m a granny ring climber and it doesn’t slow me down. I just spin my legs while others prefer to push a big gear*

If you are getting saddle sore then it might suggest your saddle is not at the right height and your hips are rocking lots. Google saddle height for pics as it will help more than a written explanation.

*As above short sharp steep stuff is best attacked in a higher gear where as longer stuff is best tackled in a lower gear.

Look for the smooth line and grip to improve efficiency – no mud or loose stones.

alpin
    Free Member

i had a rough cold a few weeks back and i think it has takena bitout of me. i too find that i hit the granny ring too soon on a climb and run out of power regardless of when i last ate.

i think you’ve just got to put in the miles. but not spinny miles, push a bigger gear than your legs feel they want to.

as for saddle sore… try a few dabs of vaseline.

mullers68
    Free Member

As above, just keep at it and your fitness will get there.
    I found that my legs were giving up on long rides so have been stocking up on energy gels and bars to refuel and electrolyte tablets to drop in a water bottle to combat cramp.

bedmaker

Take the granny off/adjust the mech so it can’t be used
    Climb faster out of the saddle – problems solved.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ride with people faster then you.

donsimon
    Free Member

What kind of terrain?
    If you can, find a gear and stick to it- your legs can go faster or slower. Big changes in gradient will, of course, require a gear change.
    Get a nice rhythm going too.
    Fitness will come and in my case come back after embarrassing myself at Llandegla this morning. 😳

patriotpro
    Free Member

You can train in a gym but it is more fun on a bike.

Gym not required for any of the exercises I recommended. 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

Short hills – attack flat out out high cadence, carry speed zoom climb!
    Long hills – climb within areobic zone

Would disagree on the first part, but i guess it depends on your idea of a short climb. Depends on you, the bike etc. Out of the saddle push a slightly bigger gear and power, much faster than staying in the saddle. IT also lets you use some different muscles for a bit.

Long hills, stay in the saddle, learn what your threshold is, get out of the saddle occasionally to inject a bit of speed, stretch legs etc. but basically just spin/roll a gear.

covbuggy
    Free Member

Just keep at it, that more you ride the easier it gets, but it takes time. Also make sure the bike is set up correctly as this makes a big big difference on the cycling efficiency – http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/technique-perfect-mountain-bike-fit-29498/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘saddle sore and climbing fitness’ is closed to new replies.