Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Saddle slipping…Help please!
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

Hoping someone ail know why this is happening and how I can stop it! About 4 weeks ago, my bike saddle started slipping throughout a bike ride, not on the rails I don’t think, nose ends up pointing upwards. I stop and adjust it, have even cut a ride short and it’s ok for a bit. Then it happens again, or next ride.

It happened tonight and it’s driving me MAD! If I adjust the saddle so it’s flat though and then tighten the bolt, it has the effect of making the nose point upwards slightly.

Someone please help before I drop the whole lot into the nearest flooded river!

fivespot
    Free Member

From your description, you have a post with a cylindrical taper/single bolt clamp. BIN IT and get something like a Thomson post with front/back adjustment bolts, once set, they stay like that. Nuke Proof do a very good cheaper version 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with a USE suss seatpost despite tightening the bolt to the specified torgue. Someone on here recommended friction paste on the relevany bits of the clamp. It worked for me.

I had to ask what friction paste is. It’s to stop carbon seatposts slipping. You buy a tube from a bike shop, fiver or so.

eulach

Or don’t bin it and use some carbon mounting paste?

Drac

Strip and clean all the rails and contact points then put it all back together often it’s muck stopping you from tightening it up.

fivespot
    Free Member

If a post needs PASTE for it to work, its not up for the job 🙄 Get something thats deigned to do the job 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Yes, cheap seat post with one clamp bolt. Thanks all for your help. I am going to try the suggestions in reverse order starting with Dracs 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

I had this problem with a single bolt clamp. Every few kilometers I had to re adjust. I thought I mustn’t be tightening it to the correct torque with my allen keys so did it a bit tighter.
    When I got to the next rock the bolt snapped.
    Oh how I laughed with no saddle.
    Ive had Thomson Elite ever since.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Fivespot you have a point….but it didn’t used to do this which is why I think Drac might have the answer. Seatpost with clamp front and rear sounds great though…..

Anna-B
    Free Member

Have to say though, I have had a single clamp post on my FS since new – 2006, and have done many muddy miles on it without this problem. Slipping seat on SS which has new-ish post.

JoeG
    Free Member

Did this just start happening since…oh say Christmas? If so, it might not be the seatpost.

How much did you eat over the holidays? 😳 Just sayin’ 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Strip and clean all the rails and contact points then put it all back together often it’s muck stopping you from tightening it up.

Has worked thus far, thanks Drac 🙂

Drac

You’re welcome hopefully it stays that way and thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Saddle slipping…Help please!’ is closed to new replies.