Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Saddle recommendations…..yes, I know…
  • bowglie

…we’re all different, one persons comfortable etc etc. BUT 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

Charge Spoon, cheap as chips so if you crash no biggie but super comfortable…or the Madison version I have a Flux that’s the same.

AlexSimon

One idea would be to buy a Charge Spoon and Charge Scoop Radius.
    One of them will probably be your ideal 🙂
    Maybe.

I was never comfortable until I got a Fizik Gobi. I think the Charge Scoop Radius is similar.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Care to tell us a little about your saddle requirements? Road/mtb? XC/trail? What you ridden before? What do you like and not like? Why changing? Budget?

FWIW, Gobi on the trail bike and SLR on the XC race bike.

bowglie

Care to tell us a little about your saddle requirements?

er, yes, apologies for brevity of OP.

I guess I am after something fairly specific. It’s for normal mixed trail riding – mainly Peak District and UK trail centres.

For years I was happy with saddles with curved up rears, like SDG Bel Airs, Charge Spoon and my favourite Gobi XM. However, over the last couple of years I’ve been getting sciatica problems, which have been diagnosed to age/use related wear & tear of vertebrae. I’ve been doing regular core strength stuff (Pilates) to stave it off, but I guess my age is against me (over 50!).

My Physio also does bike fitting, so she’s had a look at me on my bike and recommended that I try a flatter saddle than my usual Gobi. I like the overall comfort and ease of getting off the back of the Gobi, but need some flatness, so that I can rotate my pelvis back a little more to open up the lower spine. I’ve tried the tightfist option of just tilting the nose of the Gobi up a bit, but found my kn***ers were going completely numb 😯

So far, I’ve tried a Specialized Henge (too wide and baggies snaggy!), Fizik Tundra (Ouch!), WTB Volt (bit too flat across the width), SDG Bel Air 2.0 (about the best so far, but the rear end curve still rotates my hips forward a bit too much). I’ve also retried my Charge Spoon, but getting similar problem to the Bel Air 2.0.

If there’s anything like it, I think I could do with a Gobi XM shape with a flat top and central pressure relief channel. Any suggestions?

TIA

warpcow
    Free Member

Sdg Duster sounds like it could be the shape you’re looking for. I get on ‘ok’ with Spoons but the Duster is betterer.

Stiggy

Oops just saw you tried the Henge, ignore me 😳

bowglie

Oh, ta for suggestion of SDG Duster – I notice SDG mention an ‘optimal ride area’ of 105-135mm it looks like it’d be the right width. According to the Specialized & Bontrager ‘ar*e-o-meters’, my butt bones are 135mm saddle size.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Henge too wide? – do Specialized not do 4 widths?

130, 143, 155 & 168…..

quade
    Free Member

Sit bone width?
    I think mines 135-140 area
    I settled on wtb pure v after trying loads
    Buy 2nd off ebay or ride on mates bikes

Once you find it… Buy about 3 of them in case they stop making them

bowglie

Yes, apparently the Henge was/is made in 135 & 143mm widths, but only the 143 is available in the UK.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Saddle recommendations…..yes, I know…’ is closed to new replies.