Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Saddle cream , is it worth it ?
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Does it have any properties that make it better than just using vaseline or the stuff that you put on a baby’s bottom . Seems expensive for what it does , especially Assos .

emac65
    Free Member

Never used any creams, I’ve found that the backside toughens up pretty quick all by itself…

jonnyboi

Try doing a 24 hour race, it’s amazing how much skin you can wear away on your own scrotum….

JoB
    Free Member

some people will swear by it, some people manage without

Vaseline would be greasy, sweaty and unpleasant, many of them have anti-bacterial ingredients and things that are meant to be beneficial your skin whilst in the saddle, there are cheaper altrnatives to Assos

onandon
    Free Member

Some need it some don’t.
    Some like it and some don’t.

Some like the kinky feeling of rubbing cream on to their gooch and clowns mouth – some don’t.

Me. Bigger rides over 70 miles I slap on some assos and enjoy the minty buzz around my balls.

fattyrider
    Free Member

Savlon works a treat

perditus
    Free Member

Long time user of Bristol Butt’r – made a big difference on long rides in keeping everything comfortable. Nothing better imo.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If I am doing a long road ride (3 plus hours) I always use cream. Used to use Assos but now use stuff from Muc Off which also has a cooling effect on the skin. Tried using another brand without th,e cooling added ingredients and it felt like you had diarrhea 8O. With mtbing you tend to change sitting positions more often so I generally don’t use it unless I’m doing a marathon race.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We use nappy rash stuff. Shrug. Bet it’s 95% the same stuff at a fraction the price.

Only for longer rides though, don’t bother for a quick blast.

ajantom

Tiger balm FTW

revmatt
    Free Member

under 20 miles /1 hour don’t bother.

Over 20 miles / 1 hour every time.

I’ve tried them all, stick with the Assos tub.

kayak23

I use udder cream. Yeah man, the stuff for cows ‘n’ shit.

It works well.

JoB
    Free Member

while you can use Sudocrem (and suchlike) as a chamois cream and as a certain barrier layer downstairs it’s designed as a healing cream to treat sores and rashes, and the zinc oxide in it is very good at drying skin, which is not necessarily the best thing to put between yourself and a saddle

chamois creams are specifically designed to be lubricating and anti-bacterial to prevent discomfort and nasties

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m loving the udder cream recommendation. Cut through all the marketing bs and there you have it, the ultimate product, tested by farmers. Boom!

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not getting sore bits then don’t worry, if you are then it’s well worth the £10 or so.

A tub lasts me about a year, and I use it for my knees as well to prevent pad chaffage.

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

We use Fiery Jack in’t North.
    Just a healthy lump smeared all over your scrote + P.E bag.
    Makes you pedal so quick,you forget the pain. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member
    continuity
    Free Member

Decathlon anti chafe balm. In a tube for a couple of quid.

Knocks the socks off of the Muc Off Pro Chamois Cream I got in the winter sales.

ontor
    Free Member

I’m fine up to 250 miles without.

Using chamois cream seems to make things worse. Healing creams work well off the bike though

bigblackshed

I’ll shout from the rooftops about how good Charlie’s Happy Bottom Bum Butter is.

Anything over an hour and I’d have some under carriage discomfort, in the summer heat that would be multiplied somewhat. Since using HBBB I’ve had no problems at all.

dovebiker

On multi-day rides in hot climes, the antiseptic qualities of a decent chamois cream are certainly worth it. I started riding when short pads were made from real chamois leather – without cream, you may as well sandpaper your nethers

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I once used Vic’s Vapo rub as I couldn’t find any chamois cream to sooth my sore bits. Familiar with the phrase ‘ gingering a pony’?

orangespyderman

Familiar with the phrase ‘ gingering a pony’?

I wasn’t, no. Thank you. I think. 😕

convert

Old skool. Still using minty arse lard.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t do much for me. Except maybe make my arse itch, but I’ve not proved a definite link yet.

MrSmith
    Free Member

“Seems expensive for what it does , ”

Eh? £12 or whatever it is and it lasts ages.
    Think I get through a tub every year or so.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Have struggled with saddle sores previously and I use some that seems to work. If I forget to use it they seem to come back.

jeffl

For multi day rides I find the asos stuff is helpful. For a normal day ride on the MTB don’t bother.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Udder cream works for me when I need some lube. I don’t bother with it on rides shorter than two days and the really long races (like TD)I get the unscented stuff as bears like the smell of peppermint!

vincienup
    Free Member

and the really long races (like TD)I get the unscented stuff as bears like the smell of peppermint!

… you mean because it would be an unfair advantage to have had a hairy brown pace car? 😆

antigee

When the mercury starts heading above 30degs down under then “down under butt cream” A brand from lbs helps cope with sweat soaked lycra Don’t bother otherwise

Ps thought saddle cream was something you out on leather saddles ? Saddle pants cream butt in that order

tjagain

Never use anything except on the very rare occasions I have got a bit chafed. Its a throwback the days when you actually had a bit of chamois leather in your shorts that needed something to stop it going stiff and hard.

I would never use one of the specific cycling creams – most of them contain stuff that damages the skin, creams block pores and change skin ph. they trap sweat and bacteria in your skin

I have done a couple of 24 hr solo races and plenty of 8hr day multi day rides.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Saddle cream , is it worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.