Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Saddle bags with dropper posts?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Does anyone use a saddle bag with a dropper post?

Ever since having my dropper post I’ve stopped using my saddle bag because my head tells me it’ll be abrasive to the post.

Is this right?

If so what do people do to not use a backpack whilst using a dropper? I really loved the fast and light feeling of not having a backpack on..

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

tomd
    Free Member
    edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

‘tomd’ this is exactly what I’m after. Cheers, I’m off to buy one…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use a Fizik one that goes into the clip on the back of the saddle

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Try these instead, 3 sizes https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Ah, I’m going to be spoilt for choice. This is great. I’ll not impulsively buy anything yet…

nealy
    Free Member

I just use a normal topeak bag and zip tie it to the saddle rails to keep the strap at the top and stop it from moving much, only on hardtail though as full suss back wheel eats it when it’s dropped

iainc

I bought one of those Ortlieb ones the other week and returned it. Decent volume, but really awkward getting stuff in and out the roll top drybag opening. Also it has protrusions inside, for the fixing bolts, which catch stuff.

I was after it for winter road/cx and ended up with a couple of the small Lezyne Road caddy ones. They strap onto saddle and are clear of post, but only really big enough for road essentials and would struggle with an MTB tube.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Bum bag…

mls678
    Free Member
    edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

mls678, what are you able to fit in the one you rate? Cheers..

spacehopper

I’m not a fan of the ones that use the plastic slide on clips

i find on the whole they sit a bit too far away from the saddle and look a bit crap..

i’ve got one of these..

Deuter XS Saddle bag

fits everything (including a c02 inflator.. and an Airbone mini pump!)
    apart a tube.. i carry the park patches instead which i’ve found to be brilliant for easy repair in all weathers.. and fine for quick get me home fixes on local rides..

anything longer or more remote ill have a rucksack anyway so just chuck a tube or two in that..

i’ve added a little plastic stop on the saddle rails i made from an old seat pack mount to stop it sliding forwards into the dropper stanchion and the pack sits right against the seat so doesn’t look too rubbish..

riddoch

I found that my gravity dropper didn’t always return properly with a sadlebag. The extra weight was enough.

tillydog
    Free Member

It took me ages to find the perfect size/shape, strap on waterproof bag to carry a tube, multitool, puncture repair kit, spare chain link, etc. (a Topeak Wedge DryBag). About a month after I got it, I was seized with desire for a dropper post, and was gutted when I realised the bag wouldn’t fit.

I ended up making a little frame to support the front of the bag from the saddle rails. It works well – the bag tucks nicely out of the way, and it’s been very secure so far:

smurfly13
    Free Member

http://www.beerbabe.co.uk/

Custom frame bags!!

StirlingCrispin

I run a Bontrager bag with a Gravity dropper.
    (This I think: http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/bontrager-pro-pack-xs-saddle-bag/11494)

Have cut off the seatpost strap and secure the bag at the back of the rails with a toestrap. Works great.

Carry a tube, multi-tool, levers, patches etc. Far superior to the Lezyne bags I’ve tried – where the zips fail after a few months.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I use a 2L LifeVenture bum bag. Small enough to be worn under a jersey so nobody sees 🙂

momo

I’ve got one of the ortlieb ones linked above. It’s far from prefect but I can carry a spare tube, levers, patch kit and a small multi tool

johnnystorm

Sorted!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Never mind that, you can get saddles made out of old men’s bawbags!

guystabler
    Free Member

I have the lezyne medium qr saddle bag and can fit a 29er tube, 2 co2 canisters, tyre levers, puncture repair, small inflator and a multi tool. Very tight fit and not sure if it will survive for long with that weight in it.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

With all responses, and more thought about what I need it for, I realise I’m looking for something like an Alpkit Possum bag. I do want something I can take on long day trips in the hills but still only have my water on my back…

Cheers all…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, I was thinking about this and found this rack that works with a full sus bike: http://www.thule.com/en/se/products/luggage-and-bags/bike-bags-and-racks/racks/thule-pack-n-pedal-sport-rack-_-pp_100015

Probably not what the OP wants, but I might pick one up for bikepacking this year as I love my full sus and reverb too much to do without them

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Saddle bags with dropper posts?’ is closed to new replies.