• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Saddle Angle on FR/DH/SS bikes
  • solarider
    Free Member

So, the final build of my Intense SS is nearly there (piccies once it is complete). Thanks for all the help over the past few weeks. I just have one final question!

I understand why people run their seatpost so low on this style of bike for clearance etc. But, why do people angle their saddle SOOOOO far back until it is nearly pointing upwards?

Hope this isn't a bleedin' obvious question, but coming from an XC background where running the saddle level is the optimum, I just can't work it out.

tinsy
    Free Member

To aid insertion when it all goes wrong?

GW
    Free Member

a few reasons really, firstly, it's not for sitting on, it's for control with your thighs and tilted, it's easier to get your arse off the back on steep stuff but the main reason is it just looks wrong otherwise.

chakaping
    Free Member

Always assumed it was because you'd be pointing the bike downwards most of the time, so the saddle would actually be level.

GW
    Free Member

Oh yes, silly me it's because the gradient is exactly 21.6 deg on all DH tracks and all DHers ae lazy bastards and sit down all the way and have very short legs

james
    Free Member

Coming from an XC background I imagine you'll appriciate 'in the saddle' pedalling with the saddle tilted backwards at all just feels wrong

As above, its better like that for out the saddle descending. You'll have to decide whats the best compromise, or use a seatpost where changing the saddle angle mid ride is straightforward ..
    (eg USE, bontrager, crank brothers, hope?)

GW
    Free Member

BTW – if you do happen to have short legs run it level (or less tilted) as you'll be able to get a level saddle lower than a tilted one (without the rear wheelo hitting it on bottoming the rear suspension).

GW
    Free Member

change you saddle angle mid ride? Okay dokey 🙄

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

if you had a level saddle on a DH / FR bike and your poinging down a hill your saddle would end up forward so you would slide to the bars, tilting it back it ends up level once your pointing down a hill… I used to have mine level but hated sliding forward. ok on DH / FR your not in the saddle much but there are times if you hit a long flat decent where you want to sit and get a bit of rest bite… thats when you want to sit for a while and not slide forward! best bet is try your saddle level and see what happens on a steep decent… you will soon tilt it back! it looks daft but it works

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks all. That makes more sense now. I will mostly using the bike on uplift runs, but occasionally having the fun of riding the bugger up as well as down. Sounds like even a slight angle would be good though.

Judging by the angle of some of the saddles I have seen, they must be virtually riding down vertical walls if the idea is to cancel out some of the effect of the terrain!

GW
    Free Member

if you had a level saddle on a DH / FR bike and your pointing down a hill your saddle would end up forward so you would slide to the bars, tilting it back it ends up level once your pointing down a hill… I used to have mine level but hated sliding forward. ok on DH / FR your not in the saddle much but there are times if you hit a long flat decent where you want to sit and get a bit of rest bite… thats when you want to sit for a while and not slide forward! best bet is try your saddle level and see what happens on a steep decent… you will soon tilt it back! it looks daft but it works

WTF? 😕

I suggest you go back to bed mate!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Saddle Angle on FR/DH/SS bikes’ is closed to new replies.