Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sad that some people can't cycle.
  • jekkyl

It was at that point in the ride about 85% towards the end when you are at your absolute best, I was well warmed up and absolutely spanking it down an urban road. Passing the uni and I noticed a woman in a wheelchair staring at me intently. It was obvious that she had some sort of palsy as her hand was raised and bent at an odd angle and her head was sort of lolled to the side and she was in a big electrical wheelchair. I noticed her watching me and we locked eyes for a moment and I continued on my way. It made me feel incredibly sad and I wanted to sort of go back and speak to her and tell her how I can emphathise and can imagine how it feels to have a physcial disablement and not be able to hoon it down the road on 2 wheels. But I can’t imagine how it would be, of course I can’t and anything I would have said would come across as terribly patronising, so I didn’t of course, I just rode home. It was just the way she looked at me and the whole situation that I just can’t quite get out of my head and it’s something I’ve never actually considered before. Anyway, as you were.

woody2000

You’re overthinking it – she was checking you out, plain and simple.

😀

jonjones262
    Free Member

She was waiting to cross, maybe you should have stopped at the red light?

z1ppy

Worth adding to thread this I think
    Charlotte’s Tandems :

We lend, at no cost (i.e. for free), tandems and tag-alongs to (and only to) people with disabilities or additional needs, who are unable to ride a bike safely on their own, so that they can enjoy the wonders of cycling.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wheelchair? Doesn’t have to mean no riding.

[video]http://youtu.be/WydF4qRwt5c[/video]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sad that some people can't cycle.’ is closed to new replies.