Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sacked off from work, where should I go?
  • glacier79
    Free Member

Was called down to the bosses office yesterday to be told I’m been made redundant with immediate effect. So my question is, where should I book for a few weeks away? Fancy somewhere biking friendly but I’m open to any ideas really. Oh, and if anyone’s after an architectural technician give me a shout! Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Woody

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I take it you will get some kind of payout/redundancy?

Why not just get away and sit on your hole for a week, then get back into it.

Construction still a bit deflated right now.

stumpyjon

What happened to your statutory consultation period etc. The first place I’d be going would be the citizens advice bureau.

aP
    Free Member

Haha, statutory consultation period….? oh you large corporate boys with your funny ways.
    glacier79 where are you based, and what experience do you have?

jota180
    Free Member

What happened to your statutory consultation period etc.

If it’s less that 20 people going I don’t think there is a statutory period, they need to consult though

Oh, where to go?

The Canaries are relatively cheap to live in, pretty much always mid 20s C so perfect biking temps

mk1fan
    Free Member

Construction still a bit deflated right now.

Rubbish. Massive schemes maybe thin on the ground but there’s still plenty of work around in the ‘minor works’ side of the industry.

I’ve got 10 instructions (and waiting to hear on a further 3) ranging from a £1 million laboratory redevelopment to a Building Regularisation court case.

Depending on how competent you are I’d suggest setting out on your own.

glacier79
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks. Yeah I’ll be getting paid up until the end of April but I’m pretty disappointed considering I left a fairly well paid job to join this company with the promise of workload that never materialised (joined sept 2011, but with 14 years experience). I quite fancy one of those week long hols in the sierra nevada or morroco, basically somewhere warm. Ap, I’m based in notts if that’s anywhere near to you.

mogrim

If you want guaranteed warmth I’d head to the Canary Islands, the higher parts of the Sierra Nevada will still be covered in snow, and there’s always a risk of more at this time of year.

project
    Free Member

glacier, youre not entitled to statutory redundancy ,you need to work there 2 years, but your firm may make you an offer when you leave.

glacier79
    Free Member

Project, that is my offer. They’re paying me until the end of april. Just sucks a bit that I quit a job to join them only for this to happen. Ho humm, such is life I guess.

mashiehood
    Free Member

glacier – sorry to hear the news. I would suggest morocco, spent a few months out there in 2008 and loved it.

project
    Free Member

glacier79 – Member
    Project, that is my offer. They’re paying me until the end of april. Just sucks a bit that I quit a job to join them only for this to happen. Ho humm, such is life I guess.

BEEN there, its not nice, you get promised a lot to start, and within a few weeks you reaise youve made a big mistake.

Best wishes on the job hunting

Deveron53
    Free Member

If you can use Solidworks, look at jobs in Aberdeen.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Hmm, good luck job hunting, I recently started sub contracting to a company 3 weeks ago with the promise of at least a years work. On friday they told 8 of us that they had no work for the next 2 weeks minimum.

Im not happy about it at all. Id go to somewhere completelty different to most, like south america if i could afford it

aP
    Free Member

Bugger – I’m London based could do with a good AT.

pjm84
    Free Member

That sucks. I remember the 90s when the Friday’s telephone call ” can you pop down to the MD’s office” use to happen. I was working in a office of about 18 to 20 at that time which diminished to around 5 over a period of months.

I jumped at VR in 2009, after 23yrs in the industry, and now provide sub contract labour via my own ltd company. It may be a route to consider. I work on the larger projects so things have been quiet although I’m back in work on Monday for a large multi displine practice to turn around a Design and Build project that I understand has gone a long way up s*** creek by other Architects

chakaping
    Free Member

I was in your position at this time of year a few years ago. went to andalucia and it was perfect Conditions.

Been thinking its about time i went back to the alpujarras to ride again

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack.

aP, I know a few. Send us a mail (mine is in my Profile) with a brief outline of what you’re looking for and willing to pay and I’ll introduce you if they’re suitable.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

drop us a line at http://www.bikingandalucia.com (I came here in 1999, after taking redundancy from British Nuclear Fuels at Sellafield, west Cumbria)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sacked off from work, where should I go?’ is closed to new replies.