Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Saab 9-3 diesel 02 onwards any good?
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Hello following the excellent advice on here re alternatives to golf gti for my wife, she is getting a skoda vrs but is avoiding the standard interior, i would like to know peopels opinions and views on Saabs 9-3 diesels 120/150bhp, any good, fuel econonmy reliablity, are they a boat to drive are they a decent buy what goes wrong? Alternatives VW Passat?

CHeers

cp

ok but not great i think is the general consensus.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/saab/9-3-saloon-2002.aspx

Iisme
    Free Member

They are so good that they have closed the factory. That say's it all!

john_drummer
    Free Member

I've got a 57 plate sportwagon in 150hp diesel form. I haven't had it long enough to talk about reliability yet, but I like it.

Being an estate I don't thrash it, but here's what I do know: sluggish up to about 1500rpm then it goes like stink; turning circle not much better than my old Alfa 156; boot bigger than BMW 3 series Touring but legroom in the back a little bit worse. Average 38mpg, same as the BMW got over 5 years (old model) but I do a fair portion of my journey through Leeds/Bradford centres; I'm sure it'll easily do 40+ on extra urban run. Heated seats very welcome at the moment too 😉

Hope this helps

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Which vRS? The Fabia? Its why we didn't get one – cream and black would not work in a car used for riding! But… for about £800 we got quoted a full retrim in black leather. Not too bad…

Not sure on the Saabs. Aren't they just Vectras underneath?

cxi
    Free Member

Not all is lost for Saab yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8423880.stm

I've got a 56 plate 150bhp 1.9TiD 9-3 with almost 70k on the clock. I've had two problems:

The alternator died and got replaced under warranty around 55k. At 62k the water pump died (so the cam-belt got changed as well). I was out of warranty on mileage but Saab UK paid 50% of the bill without me even asking.

Great mile-muncher and very comfy. Mine is a Vector Sport, so toys like the heated front seats make it lovely in the winter. Motoring press might not rate the handling up with a BM but I can punt mine down a B road at 60(ish) and enjoy the drive.

My local dealer has been fantastic, though now I'm out of warranty I'll be shopping around for work in the future.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

My dad has gone from a 52 plate 1.8t petrol 9-3 to a 58 plate 2.2 tiD, and it's an incredible difference. The diesel is so much faster, smoother, quieter and he averages 50mpg despite the "new car – heavy right foot". The build is much better and the ride is improved. I thought he had made a mistake getting another 9-3, cos the other one wasn't very nice at all, but i am pretty jealous of this one.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I had the 180hp TTiD wagon. Most of the time averaged over 50mpg and went like stink. Had to replace it (company car mileage rotation) and was sad to see it go – wasn't allowed to order another. Very comfy, very user friendly and liked the fact wasn't the usual beemer/audi. Plus got much better spec. than same price German cars.

hora
    Free Member

Which vRS? The Fabia? Its why we didn't get one – cream and black would not work in a car used for riding! But… for about £800 we got quoted a full retrim in black leather. Not too bad…

Just use professional waterproof seat covers. I always do for riding duties.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

All this 'went like stink' stuff is nonsense though. Turbo dizzles feel quicker than they are when going from a standing start due to the turbo kicking in – push you back in the seat a bit but you're only up to 15mph, into 2nd, up to 30 etc due to the pretty narrow power bands. Yes, most modern dizzles will happily sit at 100 all day long but getting there feels quicker than is actually is…

hicksville
    Free Member

davey, yes fabia she is waiting for a leather trim one coming in p/x, so hopefully new year.

ozzo
    Free Member

I liked mine – had to change in March as company car rotation and wasn't allowed to get another. Yes underneath it's a Vectra but I uderstood the engine was "tweaked" for Saab. My 120bhp estate regularly did 50 mpg on mostly motorway driving and was really comfy.

fivespot
    Free Member

Got a 57 reg Tid Linear SE 150 for sale if your interested. Low mileage (not a company car)

steviegil
    Free Member

As above the running gear is the same as a vectra, the CDTI/TID engine from fiat. If you get a good one they are an excellent blend of power and economy BUT if you get a bad one the bill's are huge, on the CDTI/TID engine your looking at swirl valve's, egr valve's, manifold's, dual mass flywheel's, injector's are all very common problem's.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Saab 9-3 diesel 02 onwards any good?’ is closed to new replies.