Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Ruthin MTB Marathon
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Hope you enjoyed the rather muddy conditions 😀
    I was on marshalling duties for the first time and was fun seeing things from another perspective.

ScottishPhil
    Free Member

Not sure wheter I prefered working registration or riding … nah, riding – what an absolute hoot! Special memories of the ELBNO – howling wind and rain in a massively tranquil place on awesome trails; on your own, but not on your own.

A big up to Mike and John and the guys. Fantastic weekend.

ollie
    Free Member

It was great fun, The mud was unreal and made for some interesting moments.
    I had a mechanical on the very first climb and ended up at the back of the field which was a pain as I got caught up in the bottle neck but made steady progress after that.

whytetrash

peaty mud and sheep turd…bet you all had fun cleaning that off…sorry I missed it…think its strange paying 30 quid to ride somewhere I can bob to after work though, thats all.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I hear you Whytetrash, I have spent many a happy hour trying in vain to prise sheepshite off my frame after riding on the Clwyds, Why didnt someone tell me that sheep only eat glue ! I reckon they could use Sheepshite to stick the heat deflecting tiles on the space shuttle, they’d never fall off then !

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I got to ride the ELBNO for the first time. Even on trails that I’m familar with, it was still rather interesting, esp being plunged into darkness after to coming to grief going across the boardwalk section. To think I even changed my tyres from Bontrager Mud X just before the start to normal trail tyres, as I (wrongly)thought it wasn’t going to be that muddy. Eek!

surfer
    Free Member

Daisy, great ride in the dark but as its your back yard I would have thought you could do it without the lights!!!

The boardwalk section was a hoot! I tried it and typically for me ended up landing in the nettles! both riders behind me did exactly the same thing and there was still a Q waiting to give it a go!
    Just shows the strength of hope over experience!!!

Well done all

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it. Only did the 30km ride for lots of reasons, but for those same reasons I was just really chuffed to finish and not cut the route short.

Think I might have been the last rider home on the 30km though!

ononeorange

Also really enjoyed the ELBNO – as above, on your own but not. I will remember looking back near the final ridge at the string of lights working up the valley for a long time.

Also very proud of my mrs, first time doing one of this series and riding in N Wales, she not only climbed the road climb out of Ruthin but kept on even when she was really tired towards the end. Pretty good for only having learnt to ride a bike fairly recently. (Sorry, proud husband moment over!).

Missingfrontallobe, were we riding with you at the end? It was a really good group we ended up with.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

OneOneOrange, maybe, 4 of us, 2 hardtails, 2 full sus. I was the guy in grey at the back – Have a feeling you were the couple with the Orange Fives?

All of us were really impressed at how your Mrs did, nothing seemed to stop her and she was on the bike climbing most of the time when I was off the bike pushing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rode the elbno…its was boggin!Tho strangely good fun…I was a little incohearant when they tried to interview me at the end,I may have sworn a bit…ok a lot.
    Feel for people at the back,talking to someone on sunday when I was marshalling and they did’nt finish till half 11!…and then rode again on sunday.Bonkers.
    Must mention a minority of midpack heroes whining incessantly at the mud/the hills/the weather/why their shiney £5000 bike was’nt working/the course beinging too hard etc.More than made up by the people on total nails having a laugh-especially Bat Girl and the cx boys.

ollie
    Free Member

Daisy – Whereabouts were you marshalling?

project
    Free Member

A few things of note, the chap with the head wound,on the sleepers,hope youre ok,just because you didnt want to look at blood running down the side of your head, and could feel it running doesnt mean youre ok,oh and im not a dr,but you had a rather large bruise as well.

What killed the 4 sheep,obviously dead for quite a while,

Why where 99.9%of riders still able to smile despite the weather,mud,sheep poo, very well done.

Did the chap with the missing pedal make it back ok,

Whats the treatment for cramp, as i met quite a few with leg cramp,

Finally some pictures up tonight hopefully,of the event,

ononeorange

missingfrontallobe – yes, that was us. Thank you for your kind comments, that’s just made her day!

Great to meet you all and ride with you – thanks, guys! You were really good riding company. Cheers.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

OOO, you’re welcome! Glad your Mrs enjoyed herself so much.

ollie
    Free Member

Project – Were you at the bottom of the long grassy descent?? If so I should imagine you’ve got some pretty interesting pics as that was one slippery slope.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Ollie
    I was down on the land rover track by the reservoir toward Cilcain direction(checkpoint 37 if I remember correctly)
    Hope the guy who had the huge off coming down the muddy/grassy slope towards the finger post and stream crossing was ok. Looked like a torn hamstring.

ollie
    Free Member

yeah he seemed to be in good spirit to be fair to him, had a quick chat with him and wished him well. That last bit was bad enough walking, I was on my backside a couple of times.

project
    Free Member

Ollie i was at the steep drop off by the resevoir, then on the sleepers both ways, then a few at Ruthin start, and a few others , pictures uploading onto picasa as we speak, then, i will post a linky.

Also i noted there where a lot of over 50,s riding, and a very good effort they where doing as well.(Hides head in shame).

ssnowman
    Free Member

Also i noted there where a lot of over 50,s riding, and a very good effort they where doing as well.(Hides head in shame).

I was one of them over 50’s (only just) and although I struggled in the conditions, I really enjoyed it.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I went fell running Sun afternoon over Moel Famau and Moel Arthur and you could see the trails were battered (not having a go, they sort themselves out pretty quickly over there) and v.muddy! Running down the ‘long grassy descent’ was a hoot when my studs clogged and I skated about 10′ on bike tracks and sheep poo!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That was one of the toughest rides i’ve ever done!
    A combination of weather, grim trail conditions, a cold, drinking the night before & taking the Wolf Ridge (stupidly heavy bike with a High Roller on the front) made for an interesting ride!
    A LOT harder than the equivalent 50k ride at Grassington i reckon.
    Great views (when i could take my eyes off the terrifying trails!) & i suspect fantastic descents in better conditions.

I can’t believe it took me 5.5hrs to do roughly the same distance i did in 2.5hrs at Grassington!

Can’t wait for next year 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It was my first time…

I did the 30K route. I was the fat bloke on the 456ti that wasn’t that quick uphill but blasted down them.

I had a few good chats along the way with other riders too and made a point of thanking as many marshals as I could – because without them it wouldn’t happen.

I loved it all and will do it again but will train for next time.

project
    Free Member

http://picasaweb.google.com/BIKEYPAUL/20100919RUTHINCRCMARATHONSEPTEMBER2010#

Disclaimer
    All the riders who are not actually riding kindly stopped so they could have their picture taken,not due to the steepness of the hill, physical tiredness, mechanical problems, or just to admire the view.

Please feel free to add your constructive coments 😮

gazza100

4th time I’ve done Ruthin and Sunday’s conditions were the worst I have encountered there. Forgot to change my tyres after doing Kielder and conti race kings made for an interesting day. Unless it was on the road, I was fighting with the bike all day and I dont know how many times I was off. Hurt my knee a few miles past the 2nd feed station and any enjoyment disappeared.

Much harder than last five years, nice to have a change of route this time as well, but wish that was pointed out in the riders briefing as nearly went past the right turn arrow at the top of the Maeshafn climb as my head was down (in fatigue not sprinting)

Thanks to all for marshaling efforts and campsite clearing etc

No thanks to drunk singing at 1am on site, wheel spinners and rubbish leavers

Russell96

Good set of photo’s you picked some good spots for them, even after 18 years of riding across them I treat the planks with lots of care when they are wet. Just makes me realise how much I love riding in the Clwyds in winter 😀

project
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

I had to miss it due to a shoulder injury 🙁 Looks like a fun muddy one, although perhaps wouldn’t have been the best introduction to CRC marathons with those conditions, especially as I’d put myself down for the 50k. Maybe next year (might pick a more summery month as well)!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

3rd attempt at Ruthin and the first time I have finished the full distance (always signed up for it, just always got told I wan’t allowed to to it, damn cutoffs). It was a bit like hard work though!
    Arrived as the hamstring injury started his trek off the hill. Had to walk down it, it would appear that I failed to go fast enough for the Big Earl Wet on the front to clear so I quite literally had a mud tyre up front. Hats off to those who rode it, it was… interesting.
    Still bloody chuffed I finished it though 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

@ Project.

Good one of me concentrating at the start of the boardwalk, on my a*** 5 seconds later, incredibly slippy but good fun!

chutney13
    Free Member

i think that was about twice as hard as grassington, certainly took me twice as long.
    messy fun though.

project
    Free Member

surfer – Member
    @ Project.

Good one of me concentrating at the start of the boardwalk, on my a*** 5 seconds later, incredibly slippy but good fun!

Posted 17 hours ago # Report-Post
    What number and colour top

surfer
    Free Member

19th row, 4th from left. Blue top.

FraserCook

I finished the full course. I thought it was extremely tough going! slippy on the downs, slippy on the ups, gloopy and draggy on the flats. I normally rather like riding in the mud, but must confess i had had enough of it by end of sunday. i came off 6 times, i have a nicely swollen knee. Very very pleased to finish the full distance, when common sense dictated the 77K was the most sensible option.

psling
    Free Member

Got home today after making a long weekend of it. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride on Sunday, but only on reflection after I’d finished 8) I was one of the smiling over-50s and just to make a challenge of it riding a ss along the 55km route. Spent a fair bit of time walking towards the end (along with a lot of others!). It’s a beautiful area, Ruthin was very welcoming and I’ll be back to visit and ride again.

ma9mwah
    Free Member

I was marshalling on gate 19 (grassy/mud climb up to the first feeding station). Everyone seemed to be having fun and got lots of smiles for the camera.

few more at here

Plovair

Had great fun doing my first ELBNO and the full course, made even more fun out on new SS… 8)

Rugby Club showers with lashings of hot water was welcome after 7.5 hrs in the mud

Shame the pasta party was only for those doing the Sunday ride.. Was told by caterers they’d be serving after the ELBNO, which wasn’t the case 😕

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Great event, great atmosphere.
    A big thank you to all involved and looking forward to next year.
    Perhaps it will be a bit drier.

Also, the pics from the official website are brill, just ordered mine !!

See you next year !

ssnowman
    Free Member

Yes, a big thank you to everyone involved, organisers & helpers etc. You all did a brilliant job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Ruthin MTB Marathon’ is closed to new replies.