Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rusty chainstays – how much is too much?
  • nbt

so, I’m not the most anal person in the world when it comes to cleaning and maintaining bikes, but on the weekend’s ride I noticed a couple of problems with chainsuck – the chain was getting dragged right up past the chainstay and was staying there, albeit I could still pedal and ride. So, after the ride, I removed the inner-tube that I’d zip-tied on there as a cheap-arse chainstay protector to find it frankly a bit of a mess 🙁

the white is hammerite painted on by the previous owner to protect the stone / chain chips. guess that’s kind of redundant! I could just rub it down and hammerite it again I suppose but there are a couple of pretty deep scores in that rust. Any engineers (qualified or armchair, wither will do) care to comment? FWIW, it’s a 16″ 853 inbred, and I’m running a 24/36/bash

cheers

nbt

No-one? Bump for the morning crowd!

Jamie
    Free Member

*leans forwards out of armchair*

It will be fine.

tinsy
    Free Member

The deep scoring can eventually lead to failure, I think its Peterpoddys 853 that did exaclty that in the end, clean it up paint over it with something to stop the rust and get one of those bolt on devices that stops the chain sucking and causing any more damge to it before its too late.

Also had a pal with an ally Cannondale that broke right where it had chain suck scores on the frame.

You need something like this Ringle one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

wire brush that off and then have a proper look.

Its difficult to tell, but it looks slightly deeper than a surface patina.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rusty chainstays – how much is too much?’ is closed to new replies.