Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rusty chain
  • kevj
    Free Member

So after a ride out the other day I didn’t have the time to clean the bike or lube the chain.

Today, the chain is a nasty brown colour and a few links are quite stiff.

Any recommendations for a good treatment? Or is it good old stiff brush and three in one oil bath overnight?

BigJohn

Sometimes it works, sometimes it is just too far gone.

Last December I was up in the lakes for 3 days in snow and put the bike on top of the car to come back down the M6 in the snow and salt.

Soon after I took the chain off (without properly oiling it) and when I got it out a few months later it was just a solid thing and wouldn’t recover no matter what I did. Skippety skippety etc.

I threw it away, which hurt, as it was a Yumea.

pedlad

I’ve had some success with a wire brush and a good scrub of degreaser outside before now after previous “too much post-ride ale to be bothered to spray GT80” incidents.

This will only sort out the outside and the oil bath’s a good idea but unless you’ve let it go too far then usually the following ride and clean-cycle will sort out the innards of the chain and it’ll work fine.

kevj
    Free Member

Luckily, it appears only to be surface rust so hopefully a good clean and oiling should suffice.

Other than being arsed to do it properly, any good lube out there other than finish line wet or dry?

carlos
    Free Member

Scrub clean with wire brush, soak in diesel/degreaser, dry, soak in 3in1, wipe excess off, ride, clean and lube as normal. Brought a well siezed chain back before for me.

Purple Extreme lube gets my vote

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rusty chain’ is closed to new replies.