Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Get rusty bold out of frame. Need ideas
  • trailmax
    Free Member

Tried to take off my chain device tonight and ended up with a welded-in bolt inside of a ISCG mount. Had a go on it with a drill and a dremel, managed to get the chain device off, but the actual bolt is still inside of the frame and does not want to move.
    Any ideas how to get it out without destroying the frame?

user-removed
    Free Member

Soak in WD40 overnight then have a go with molegrips (not Molgrips)?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

File parallel flats on each side. Then get a pair of molegrips or something, twist it out.

And always use anti-seize paste of some sort when installing bolts…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT pardon me, elfinsafety, we typed at the same time.

File two sides parallel to each other end either molegrips or, preferably, an adjustable spanner to turn the bolt out. As mentioned, soak in penetrating oil for a few hours first.

Northwind

I’d give it a couple of nice solid taps on the stub with a hammer, and soak overnight in proper penetrating oil (little blutac cup around it). Then as said, flat off sides (or, you can cut across the head for a screwdriver but with such a small bolt it’s fairly likely to break up if you do that- also the flat grinding will put more heat into the bolt.

Does the chain device have a taco on it? Just wondering how much future there is in just ignoring it and refitting it with 2 bolts really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t forget the heat – try hot water / hot air gun but might require enough heat to ruin the paint. go easy with a blowtorch tho or risk damaging the frame. Build a reservoir of plasticine / blue tac / tape / to keep the penetrating fluid soaking in – plus gas is the best

Northwind

Diesel’s effective too, or paraffin.

takisawa2

As above, plenty of PlusGas/WD40.
    If the above fails & the stump is getting a bit short, file it flat, centre punch then drill a small hole, then a bigger one, then a bigger one, then get a left handed tap/Eazyout in it. But pour some boiling water on it before using the tap, as the alloy ahould relax before the steel.

Northwind

Mystic Northwind predicts, takisawa’s method will lead to drill marks on the frame and a snapped eazyout stuck in the bolt :mrgreen:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no need to try the easyout when you have some bolt above the surface to grip

trailmax
    Free Member

Thanks everybody!
    Already tried flattening both sides and this did not help – the bolt is too small and just rounds off. Same happens with slot for a screw-driver.
    The chainguard does have a taco, so ignoring this is not an option.

I like the idea with mallet and heat. Will try this tomorrow. I have a nice 400 degrees welding heat-gun (mwhahaha!!).

Tried WD40 – never helped me before in this situations, but soak it just in case!

The last resort will be flattening the top, drilling it out with small/bigger/even bigger drill and then try easy-out or make a new thread with a tap. Done that before and no holes in frame/surrounding -))

trailmax
    Free Member

hehe.. bluetack is getting dissolved by WD40

Xylene
    Free Member

Use PlusGas not WD40 – far superior product.

globalti
    Free Member

Yawn….. penetrating oil won’t make a jot of difference.

Whack it hard with a hammer then put the mole grips on it and it will turn. I used to get this all the time with small steel side cover bolts stuck in the alloy engine castings of motorcycles. This is what impact screwdrivers are used for.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Try drilling through the the centre of the bolt. I know its not easy, but once you have done it the bolt diameter will reduce slightly and it will just screw out. If you damage the thread just re tap it, or if the thread is badly damaged, just tap a bigger hole. Same thing happened to the 6 rotor bolts on my chris king hubs! Managed to drill them out without marking the anodising.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for plusgas and some heat. And yes, use molegrips. Adjustable spanners, pliers etc are all crap compared to the mighty molegrip.

If all else fails drill a new hole towards the BB and tap it and drill a new hole in your chain device.

Bonded studs with nuts would be a better route for something like this sometimes (although a bit of decent anti seize would also stop it).

trailmax
    Free Member

OK, here is the plan for when I get home from work: whack it hard and try moving with pliers, lookout for molegrips (not sure if I have it).
    If does not work, go to the tool shop and get molegrips, plusgas, left-threaded thin drill, M6 tap.
    Than have another go with wacking and mole-gripping and plusgas. If that does not work, get the drill to make a little hole and tap it out.

Planage!
    I’ll update on the results -))

Thanks again for the ideas!

Dibbs
    Free Member

As the frame appears to be alloy I’d be more tempted to soak it with Coke or Caustic Soda and =1 for twatting the end of the bolt with a hammer to break any corrosion loose.

trailmax
    Free Member

Moderators, can you please correct my typo: “bold” to “bolt” in the subject. Looks very stupid! -))
    Thanks!

p.s. or point me where I can edit posts (can’t find this anymore)

takisawa2

You could also get it spark eroded out if all else fails.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Leave it in!!!

you dont really need 3 bolts do ya?

wwaswas

spark eroded out if all else fails

Had this done to some manifold bolts on my Saab. Based on that experience a new frame would probably be cheaper.

trailmax
    Free Member

Got the bustard out!! smashing with a heavy hammer and attacking with pliers did the job!! Did not need a heavy machinery -)

Thanks again everyone for tips!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Get rusty bold out of frame. Need ideas’ is closed to new replies.