Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rural broadband options
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just moved to the Blackdown Hills and broadband options are limited. Spoke to IDNET and they have said we will get speeds of 1-4mb.

Are there any other options for broadband in rural areas? I have thought about getting a dongle thing, would that be any better? reception for 4G is Ok where we are.

jimjam
    Free Member

I suppose it depends on the plan (cost wise) but I’ve got 3 mobile broadband through a Huwawei (sp?) 4g router and it’s kind of tolerable. I went from Virgin cable, so it’s a bit of a back step but it hasn’t been life changing.

cozz
    Free Member

we got 1.2 mb at work on broadband, but using hotspot on my phone on 4G i get over 30mb

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Annoyingly we cancelled sky TV etc. And just went down the nowtv route and apps on the xbox. Looking like we will have to go back to sky.

I may have a look at the 4G options. The guy at Idnet did say about signing up for expressing an interest in fibre optic as they are currently looking at improving connections.

matt_outandabout

Satelite broadband.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have seen that while searching. Is that any good Matt?

timber

Satellite isn’t so great for video, rather prone to buffering and vulnerable to bad weather. Well, our system at work is anyway.
    Had to upgrade as dial-up was no longer an option.

metalheart
    Free Member

Works for me 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/4g-mobile-broadband-for-the-house-experiences

According to a speed checker right now I’m getting 37.1 download/11.9 upload. Way better than I’d get broadband (2.5 max!).

chrisdw
    Free Member

We get 1 – 3mb
    And enough signal to send a text (only at the front of the house).

In some ways its quite nice. But only some.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Why did I read that as ‘Russel Brand options’?? Banning from you tube would be my preferred.

On a more useful note, my folks live n the sticks and went for radio broadband / wireless internet service provider – through repeater aerials. After years of less than 1mb on BT via the phone, they now get a decent 7-8mb. Not the cheapest, but better than satellite

breadcrumb

There’s different types of satellite broadband.

Mast to dish is suppose to be quite good, we may go down that route at some point.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rural broadband options’ is closed to new replies.