Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • running (with some offroad) headtorch, can i do better than alpkit gamma?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

15quid for a gamma, bit low on lumens maybe but seems hard to beat for the cash… anyone have any other views/experience?

woody2000

I broke the battery cover on 2 Gammas somehow (I’m not normally hamfisted!), wouldn’t have another. Most people love them though.

djglover
    Free Member

I got a lenser H7r and its brilliant.

Great controls of beam width, brightness and angle

And rechargable.

dobo
    Free Member

i got the gamma, its a good value torch, you can run with it but im sure you will be wanting a bit more. i think i actually prefer running with a torch in my hand. i use a fenix but theres loads of cheaper versions on ebay/amazon etc.

seanoc
    Free Member

I like the H7; careful though as there’s lots of counterfeits out there. Don’t really heed more light than a Gamma though.

matt_outandabout

Not for the money, no.
    Cheap chinese may also work.
    Short of that, the build quality of expensive black diamond seems crap – Petzl still seem to be the best quality.

MoreCashThanDash

The battery compartment on Gammas is apparently a regular issue – they are very good at replacing them though. Otherwise they are great

piemonster

Lenser HR7 +1

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good to know. Broken one

Anna-B
    Free Member

I use my Magicshine to run off road in the dark. Battery in zip up pocket, and I hold the light bit. May be worth a go, I don’t like running wearing a head torch. Works very well for me 🙂

sleepless
    Free Member

we run Scafell Pike once a week and all use £25 magic shines. trouble is shadows off rocks are all over the place on the down hills if we all use different lumen ratings.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A certain online outdoor product retailer are doing coast headtorches cheap, 300 lumen enough?

ahwiles
    Free Member

hope vision one, not cheap, but bloody good.

i had an alpkit gamma, it was alright, but then it died.

i bought another, it kills batteries, even when it’s not switched on.

would not buy another.

Jolsa

The Alpkit Manta looks better than the Gamma, but I bought myself one of these for £15
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/silverpoint-guide-xl120-headtorch-ac210091?id_colour=117

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

I went through this process a few weeks back!

Decided in the end as I already had an exposure joystick for nightriding, the best was to buy the Exposure headband for running. About 8 quid.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A certain online outdoor product retailer are doing coast headtorches cheap, 300 lumen enough?

Wheres that then?

theblackmount
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 Gammas but the battery box closure mechanism is pretty sh1t / prone to breakage and the output is woefully low by todays standards. In reality you can now pick up a couple of Chinese units for the same price / several times the power.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FD – Sportpursuit

CraigW
    Free Member

The Petzl Myo RXP is nice for offroad running, though not cheap.

For running, it is worth getting a torch with the battery pack at the back. Headtorches with the batteries at the front (eg Petzl Tikka) can bounce about a bit.

ross980
    Free Member

Part of my normal running route is on a completely unlit shared footpath/cycle track. I used an Alpkit Gamma which was great for the price and really comfortable. It’s just bright enough to pass the cow pat/dog shit avoidance test (at my slow speed anyway). Work issued me with a LED Lenser H7r which I now use instead, it’s much brighter and probably better if running off-road, the ability to adjust the beam is good. It’s not as comfortable and could do with a strap over the top like the Gamma (imho). It also feels a bit cheap and plasticky considering its rrp, especially the tilting bracket on the front. Having said that, it hasn’t let me down. I’d recommend both tbh. The h7r comes with 3x 900mAh batteries and a usb charger that plugs into the torch, but the connection can be a bit temperamental and if you’ve already decent batteries/charger there’s not much advantage over the standard H7. If I was into serious night time trail running I’d probably get a lighter Petzl/Silva with a built in LiPo battery, much more expensive though.
    The H7r is pretty cheap on Amazon at the moment Linky £32. I don’t think you can go far wrong with a Gamma though (I wouldn’t have bothered upgrading) proving the terrain isn’t too rough.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘running (with some offroad) headtorch, can i do better than alpkit gamma?’ is closed to new replies.