Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Running- Quad pain question
  • hora
    Free Member

Just started running again and have the correct shoes for my pronation (LBS shop checked with video etc).

However after stretching halfway through my first slow jog (took it easy) my quads started hurting. They feel really sore now after the second night. Anything I am doing wrong possibly with the way I run (strike) or is it because my muscles are not use to the action and will have to 'learn' the motion with practice?

BadlyWiredDog

Are you running forwards, same direction you walk in? It's crucial to get basics like this correct to optimise your biomechanical efficiency. Running backwards or even sideways can lead to the symptoms you describe.

Or it could just be that you're not used to running and you have delayed onset muscle soreness?

As an aside, last night I held my finger in a candle flame for a couple of seconds, it's now red, sore and blistered. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

hora
    Free Member

Or it could just be that you're not used to running and you have delayed onset muscle soreness?

I havent ran really since School but I did stretch as much as possible.

As an aside, last night I held my finger in a candle flame for a couple of seconds, it's now red, sore and blistered. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Sadly you've finally realised you are not secretly a superhuman. Sorry. 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

Stretching as much as possible isn't going to stop soreness, especially if you haven't run for years. You might get better results from filling a bin with ice and water and standing in it after your run… but you're not an elite athlete, so it's pretty pointless. Try a cold shower instead…. Really.

roper
    Free Member

It sounds like you over stretched to me. Try warming up and down with light stretching. If you've not run for a while there will be some discomfort for a little while.

Jamie
    Free Member

Stretchings for wussies.

uplink
    Free Member

Just started running again and have the correct shoes for my pronation (LBS shop checked with video etc).

Try going to a LRS 😉 could it be the cleats that are causing the issue? 😀

hora
    Free Member

LOL yes it was a LRS in Huddersfield and I bought some expensive un's from them (no I didnt go on the interweb) 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

You've probably got the wrong shoes. Sell em in classified and get another pair.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I get quad pain when I run, which is very infrequently. I put it down to not being used to it. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Do some reading on barefoot running and the damage modern running shoes do to foot strength. I went back to some old, knackered shoes and I'm better off for it.

hora
    Free Member

Your doing a Zola? I cant wait for me to get into this abit more then I'll switch to cross country. I loved cross country at school. Track- hated it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Technically I think you are suffering from aches and pains. Seriously though it might get even more uncomfortable over the next few days. If it does take a few days off and you might just find it's all tickety boo when you start again.
    I can say with some authority that see through sauna pants and pink ankle weights would seriously help you.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No. I'm not doing a zola, I've worn shoes for about 33 years of my life and my soles are rather too soft for that.

I am using shoes with as little heel cushioning and pronation/footbed technology as possible though.

Seriously – do some internet reading on barefoot running technique. Eye opening stuff. I get less achilles, ankle and knee pain.

It does sound to me like you've just got aches and pains you're not accustomed to.

stumpy01

A bit of achiness is to be expected if your new shoes are making you run slightly differently. You might have over-stretched a bit to.
    When her indoors got some running shoes to help with her pronation, the shop advised her to walk in them for a week first, then start doing very short runs to start with to get her body used to them.
    Even doing that, I think he calfs ached for a couple of weeks before settling down.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I am using shoes with as little heel cushioning and pronation/footbed technology as possible though.

BTW rumour has it that inov-8 are meant to bringing out some next best thing to barefoot shoes next year.
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8680

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Running- Quad pain question’ is closed to new replies.