Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Running power cables from the house to outdoors
  • nbt

At the moment when I plug in the caravan to charge up the battery and so on, I run the power cable to the external socket at the back of the house. It’s a bit of a faff, so I’d like to run it into the garage. I don’t want to put an external socket on the front of the house, as any passer by could then just remove the cable.

Is there something like a cat-flap that’s designed for you to pass a power cable through that can then be locked fro the inside? my google-fu is weak in this case…

simon_g

I have external sockets like this: https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/product/bg-13a-ip66-2-gang-weatherproof-switched-socket-outlet-grey-826065

You can just stick a padlock through the loop to stop someone opening it.

footflaps

I’d just put a socket on the front of the house and have an isolation switch inside so you can turn it off when you’re not using it.

just use on of these so it’s harder for anyone else to use..

https://www.midselec.co.uk/in008.html

nbt

Simon_G that looks like a good idea, I will pick one up. Cheers

footflaps, Nice idea but Simon’s offer more scope as it means I can plug other things in at the front if required

EDIT – umm, that won’t work. The caravan power cable plugs into one of these so could easily be unplugged

Cougar

You don’t really want to be using that adapter outdoors, unless the socket is wholly weatherproof (cos that BS1363 mains plug isn’t).

What’s your concern, that someone will steal the cable?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t want to put an external socket on the front of the house, as any passer by could then just remove the cable.

As above the external sockets I have come with a loop for a padlock. But do you really think someone is likely to unplug the ehu to the van (thought I’d throw in a bit of caravan speak there 🙂 )

EDIT – umm, that won’t work. The caravan power cable plugs into one of these so could easily be unplugged

Get a new ehu and put a 3 pin plug on the end.

Cougar

(thought I’d thrown in a bit of caravan speak there )

I know them as commando plugs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I know them as commando plugs.

That’s the plug only, with cable it’s an ehu in caravanners world

Cougar

Aye. I’ve got a similar thing for camping only with a splashproof BS1363 (regular UK mains plug) 4-gang at the other end.

nbt

Agreed, the socket at the back of the house is weatherproof,

Yes

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is your connection to the van not in the locked battery box?

nbt

It is, yes. Admittedly, to nick the cable it would need to be cut. At the moment, cutting it would result in a nasty electric shock, but if the other end is easily accessible and can be unplugged…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not convinced people would go to the bother of doing that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Running power cables from the house to outdoors’ is closed to new replies.