Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Running in the dark – lights question
  • dicky
    Free Member

Now the nights are pulling in I need a solution for running in the dark, both on road and offroad. It's pitch black where we live, no streetlights, so I need something to see with, rather than be seen. But it needs to be lightweight and showerproof as well. Are there any headtorch options anyone can recommend?

wwaswas

Hope Vision 2 comes with a 'laccy band mounting I think.

I'd be happy to run with a Exposure Joystick as a light sourc ebut don''t know if you can get a head mount for it. maybe get a cheap one of these; head torch and mount it on there (and have the mount at the sid eof your head, obviously..

tragically1969
    Free Member
    29erKeith
    Free Member

Ay-ups with the head band

Myo XP's ok too

antigee

the smaller the front bit of the head torch the better as otherwise can bob up and down and that gets really annoying
    i've used the smaller petzls quite happily but black diamond that is more adjustable is useless for running

tragically1969
    Free Member

Hmmm some interesting options cropping up, quite why you would even consider paying £150 and upwards for a headtorch for running when the frankly more than suitable Petzl Myo Xp is £50 i dont know, but hey you pays your money and all that……..

IanMunro
    Free Member
    falkirk-mark

Petzl Tikka xp

dicky
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma looks promising. Like the fact it has the red light to the rear as well as the main front light. Bargain price too.

whytetrash

Tesco torch…only use it when cars coming though, I run in the wilds too no streetlights near me and your eyes adapt to it really well. literally use it to show drivers I'm there and guide me for a few seconds if they dazzle me..try it cos the spookiness makes you run quicker!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Myo xp no question, i have a black diamond but my nate has the XP and i want it. just by a myo xp dot bother looking at the rest

Onzadog
    Free Member

second the ayup with headband. Great for walking the dog in winter. Work well on the bike as well. Two birds so to speak.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use the Alpkit Gamma for just such a purpose and suggest you look no further.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aren't Gore going to do running kit with leds? I'm gonna go and have a look…bet it's pricey though…

Hmmm, can't find it on the web but I'm sure I read it somewhere…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Myo xp no question, i have a black diamond but my nate has the XP and i want it. just by a myo xp dot bother looking at the rest

Out of interest have you used an alpkit gamma?

glenh
    Free Member

I just use my 700 lumem LED bike light on a headband.
    Battery goes in the pocket no probs.

Enough for flat out downhill off road and blinding other runners 😈
    (actually I run it on low power most of the time).

Still, if you are running on roads/pavements, any headtorch will do fine I'm sure.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I use an Alpkit Gamma for just this thing, and it's ok. Not great, but bright enough that I can avoid puddles or dog eggs.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Out of interest have you used an alpkit gamma?

Yes but only a couple of times the myo xp is brighter and I also find the diffuser usefull. I am not sayig the gamma is a bad just that I find the Xp is better for offroad use.

surfer
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ian Munro – Member
    http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

The man speaks the truth.

£15 inc del and 3 duracells ain't bad either.

MrGreedy

Another vote for Alpkit. I used one to run through last winter and it was great. It might not stand up to a really bad soaking but for that price you could just buy another one if it did go titsup and you'd still be quids in over most alternatives.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Lupine Betty – seriously! But sometimes a Joystick on an improvised headband. I ran up n down Cairngorm last Thursday night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did a fell race once with a petzl E-lite …. and holding a torch

never again …. thats a non recomendation

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I've been using one of these for the last 4 years:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-LED-SUPER-BRIGHT-HEADLIGHT-LAMP-FISHING-CAMPING-NEW_W0QQitemZ130332890555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item1e587215bb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Batteries last for ages, it's bright enough to run at speed along the cliffs of the Pembrokeshire coastal path at night in a Force 8 gale, sits comfortably on your head, doesn't shift or move about at all ever, the angle of the beam is adjustable, it is as light as any other (Petzl, Alpkit etc.) led head torch and costs all of oh… 6 quid (delivered).

… Though whether you want to trust the advice of someone who has run along narrow paths at the top of sea cliffs in Pembrokeshire in a force 8 gale in the dark, however, is another thing 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Running in the dark – lights question’ is closed to new replies.