Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Running canti's on a mtb.
  • juiced
    Free Member

In the process of refirbing an old Marin mtb It has canti’s on it. Should I run them or could i run v’s as a replacement. Just wondering what performance and cheap decent pad availablity is likely to be like, compared to v’s. Presumably the v’s will fit a canti frame.

It will all be in bits for a good while, hence not trying it out.

Cheers

juiced
    Free Member

anyone??

Northwind

I replaced the cantis on my retro-commuto-shi**er for Vs- the spacing is the same. Though you do need to replace the levers too. And what a difference- better power, more consistency, and easier setup. Oh god yes. NO MORE CANTIS EVER!!oNE1!

juiced
    Free Member

ok thanks. that’s great.seems a shame but i’ll think i’ll do the same.

epicyclo

Plenty decent canti brakes around at good prices. Performance improves when you use good cables and you need canti levers.

Most people seem incapable of setting up cantis properly, but it’s quite simple if you RTFM.

Wally

I sent my mate around the 50K offroad Isle of Wight ride on Canti rigid 93 stumpjumper. He survived OK.

juiced
    Free Member

it’s got the original, shimano cantis on it. Will they be good?

iain1775
    Free Member

you will be able to get pads and canti parts easily enough, plenty of cross bikes run them
    Vees are significantly better though (even when cantis are set up right)
    You may need to check cable routing though as I had to modify my old ’96 Voodoo and ziptie a full outer to the frame for the rear

juiced
    Free Member

cheers that’s what i was thinking – running full length outers zip tied and v’s. the bike is pretty heavy and could be a handful slowing down from speed.

cheers

smiffy

Most people seem incapable of setting up cantis properly, but it’s quite simple if you RTFM.

How often do you read this on here. It’s not that difficult; but they are still not that good. There’s a reason why V’s took off so quickly; they were better on every level. I have cantilever brakes in regular use – understanding the limitations.

The maths can prove V’s beat Cantis on paper before you do any mumbo-jumbo “I know how to beat the laws of mechanics, but clearly you don’t. Oh and I’m not going to tell you the secret”

mrmo
    Free Member

v’s are better than cheap lo pro canti’s but the old XT2s are still better, the only downside was snagging heels.

Northwind

juiced – Member

it’s got the original, shimano cantis on it. Will they be good?

Might be. Might not 😉 I had reasonably nice ones and replaced them with low-end Tektro Vs and they still win hands down.

PTR
    Free Member

If the cable routing isa problem, just run Vs on the front, thats where most of the braking is anyway.
    If my menmory serves, the best way to set up cantis, was to do away with the Shimano pivoting Y piece that held the cable, fit a ordinary, or purple yoke, and run the straddle wire as near to the tyre as you dared.

juiced
    Free Member

ok cheers everyone. The original Canti’s are low end 20 year old ones. Can’t see a problem routing cable and now intend using some v’s.

Thanks everyone.Much appreciated.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Running canti's on a mtb.’ is closed to new replies.