Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Running
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Went out tonight…….

Good man, Glencoe marathon still open 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I love it, used to consider myself marathon fit, when I could cover the distance whenever I felt like it. Alas that was a number of years and a greater number of kgs ago. Tried a few times to get back into it but always go too hard or far too soon and get injured. Trying again just now and I’ve entered the Glencoe marathon next year, focusing on regular running but limiting the distance and getting good recovery.

zippykona

My motivation for it is so that I don’t have to ride my turbo.
    My commute is 3 miles by the river and through the park. Very pleasant really.
    An ideal length to run.
    Problem is that I seem to injure myself quite regularly. Running makes my hip flexor hurt at the moment. It’s never hurt before but for some reason running now makes it hurt.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Enjoy it when I’m in the habit, miss a run or two though and the dread kicks in again. Managed 140 (very slow) miles last month, but so far December hasn’t been great. Got an ultra in January. Seemed like a great idea at the time. Urgh.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve entered the Glencoe marathon next year, focusing on regular running but limiting the distance and getting good recovery

Good choice of event and training strategy. The scenery will take your mind off the pain! Best of luck.

I’ve just got a place in the Jura Hill race for the second time. The trouble is that the memory of this year’s pain hasn’t quite faded.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Did you do the Glencoe mara Spin? Isle of Jura sounds peachy, as hard as it sounds? I’m hoping to do a few hill races in the build up, Kaim is the local one, and I’d entered Goat Fell before but pulled out due to injury so I need to tick that off. So far Dumyat is the first on the calendar that I can make. My only experience of hill running so far is the Mighty Deerstalker which I’ve done 5 times I reckon, doesn’t seem to fall under the proper ‘hill race’ category but it was bloody tough.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I hate running but appreciate it’s benefits to my health and love the smug feeling afterwards.
    I force myself to do at least one run of at least 5km each week (so I normally do a single run of 5.1km 😳 ) while I’m away with work so I’m not just lazing in a hotel room drinking beer.
    I struggle like hell to do it but I need to do it.

Although I missed this week as I’m full of cold.

Currently it’s a real challenge to get under 30 mins, but that’s down from 33 mins a few months ago, so I can slowly see the benefits.

Stainypants

I need to go run this afternoon, it will have to be on the road as i need a mid length recovery run after two hard fast runs and I’m WFH. Last Wednesday’s lunch run from work was this, i didn’t need much encouragement to do.

surfer
    Free Member

As Bill Shankley famously said “its not life or death. Its more important than that”

He may not have been talking about running but I am 🙂

avdave2

Just getting back to it after more than 6 months with plantar fasciitis. Heel pain has finally gone but having to use the golf ball regularly and still strapping it up at night. I’m only running very short distances at the moment and will build up very slowly. I do really enjoy it though and want to see if I can get back to 5k runs then take it from there. I started the year on day one with achieving my goal of the year of breaking 20 minutes for 5K but currently just happy that I can jog 1K.

Digby

As Bill Shankley Surfer infamously misquoted said “its not life or death. Its more important than that”

HTH

Coyote
    Free Member

Always hated running but decided that I needed a quick fix cardio due to lack of opportunities to get out on the bike. Started back end (September-ish) of last year with Parkruns. Ran my first race the following November (Pennington flash 5 mile). Still don’t really like it but it provides much needed cardio and I get to collect bling after races 🙂 Managed a half marathon, 3 x 10K, 8K, 5K and an XRunner.

Already got 2 x half marathons, a 10K and a 5K booked for next year. Next year might be the year I actually start to enjoy it.

medoramas
    Free Member

I started running in my local woods a week and a half ago. I love it to bits! It’s mainly night running at the moment, with just one nice daylight outing last Sunday.

I even entered a 5k trail race tomorrow night… 😯

craig24
    Free Member

On the 1st day of week 3 of the C25K. Started it due to lack of time to ride. If you want to go for a 30 min run, it takes 30 mins, so much less faff when times limited.

xico
    Free Member

Running (road, x-country and fell) was the greatest thing ever in my life. If my arthritic knees miraculously got better I’d give away all my bikes tomorrow. For me, cycling doesn’t even come close!

Spin
    Free Member

Did you do the Glencoe mara Spin? Isle of Jura sounds peachy, as hard as it sounds?

I’ve not done the Glencoe Marathon but I know the area well and it’s a lovely route.

Jura is pretty hard, I’d definitely suggest building up with some other proper hill races. You wont get in anyway without a few qualifying races under your belt like the Ben or Stuc a Chroin. It is however one of those iconic ‘must do’ races if you’re a hill runner, I don’t know any other races where you arrive on a speed boat! I had a poor race last year for a few reasons (illness, lack of prep the usual excuses). I’m hoping for a much better time this year, sub 4 would be awesome but 4.15ish is more likely. That and the Glencoe Skyline (if I get a place) will be my main events next year.

Bregante

Thanks to this thread I got changed into my running gear at work and then went for a run as soon as I arrived home tonight before food and STW induced lethargy took hold.

love the smug feeling afterwards.

Yup

andykirk
    Free Member

I have just realised how lucky I am living in Scotland.

No matter where you are you can usually get to the countryside in 5 minutes. On a bike.

prawny

Haven’t run since I did the Birmingham half last year, starting to miss it a bit though now so planning on leaving my trainers at work so I can nip out for half our at lunch. I’m concerned I’m not doing enough weight bearing exercise at the moment because I’m commuting 200 miles a week so running should hopefully stop my bones crumbling.

Also my mate at work is off having chemo for the foreseeable and I’m bored to tears. Going to treat myself to a new Garmin watch to keep it interesting too.

andyfla
    Free Member

We back onto a largish park and i love running around the edge of it – around 5K, ace in the winter as its slightly soupy on the paths with mud and pitch black, so head torch and cross country shoes

Great fun

molgrips
    Free Member

Went out again. Got the tram out to the edge of town, some impossibly picturesque old Swiss village turned into suburb, then ran up what felt like driveways to get up into the woods and climb the hill I can see from the office.

Full moon shining through the bare trees, turned my torch off, got scared shitless by deer, then ran the 5km home past all the tram stops.

**** you again, couch.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Also out tonight. Just a nighttime run round the town, I’m feeling inspired by this thread though to get out and about and onto some trails.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Running on the road is a necessary evil for me. Smashing a big day in the hills is awesome though, can’t beat it.

Chrimbo schedule means nae hills for several weeks now, hooray for dull, dull road miles 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Running’ is closed to new replies.