Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Running 1 x 9 – Quick help needed
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Hi,

If im running a 1 x 9 set up, do i need anything to keep the chain on the single ring at the front? If so, whats the lightest solution to doing this? I don't want to shed the weight of the inner and outer rings only to have something as heavy replace them.

Also, will i be able to run a short cage rear mech with a standard range XT cassette??

Cheers

leggyblonde
    Free Member

if you run a forum search there are loads of threads covering this subject. as an overview:

most people need something to keep the chain on, depends on your bike, budget and riding for preferred method.

I run a 105 road mech (short cage) with an 11-32 cassette and 34 ring.

william
    Free Member

A bash guard and a N-gear jump stop works well for me, the chain only comes off if I crash the bike, so it is forgiven. Besides that it weighs very little and looks neat.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

yess

xc-steve
    Free Member

E13 XCX very light and neat and 1g lighter than MRP's offering!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bashguard and jump stop for me too on XC.

And yes, a short cage should cover you – only got 22t difference to cover, long cage needs to handle 44t difference (11-34 rear and 22-44 front)

rootes1

if you run a forum search there are loads of threads covering this subjec

'loads' is a bit of an understatment… 🙄 😯

flange
    Free Member

E13 XCX/MRP thing won't work on Middleburns due to the chainline – just a thought if you have them

Don't worry about a bashring, just wind the adjuster screws in on the front mech – works fine on my race bike (thats done it!)

brakes
    Free Member

see here for a recent thread, including a picture of my lovely bicycle with an E13 XCX (weighs about 50g)
    I had to flip my chainring to make it work which is fine, but the chainring now sits less than a micron from the chainstay

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Running 1 x 9 – Quick help needed’ is closed to new replies.