Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Runners….. What's a good average running pace?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mol’s got ninedons.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did he iDiet them away? I have noted that the diet doesn’t offer the right nutrients to properly rebuild bones and ligaments.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

When i was running on a regular basis, used to run 7min miles mostly. Much prefer running for 10+ miles than shorter ones. No time for running this season as I’ve got a race on almost every weekend from March 😯

theteaboy
    Free Member

Currently 15.5 stone with a little excess but toned I’m not gonna be under 15!

9min miles sounds ok at 15+ stone!

I was told by a physio that I’m carrying a bit of weight and could be really quick if I lost 8lb or so – I’m 11.5 stone! The mrs already says I’m too bony.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s up with your tendons Mol?

Lol.. yes engine is great it’s the drivetrain that’s ropey. Body work – well that’s long past its best 🙂

A certain tendon in my knee hurts after about 25 mins of running. Exterior collateral ligament, I think. It’s annoying. I am having slight trouble in my feet too but that’s to be expected with the shoes, and it’s improving. The knee thing is not, at least not very quickly.

Of course, it might be to be expected being WW+10 as I am.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Have you injured it at some point?

If not it’s probably tendons / muscular imabalance… I have some exercises that may help.

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. As a non runner who has dabbled a little (6ft – 83kg). My times

21min – 5k
    46min – 10k
    1h39min – 21k
    3h37 – 42k
    almost 7hrs for a offroad 60k ultra

I would consider myself to very average when compared to any runners.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you injured it at some point?

Nope. All tips appreciatd.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

When I ran regularly I used to find that I could put in respectable times for short distances (1 mile in 5 minutes, 2 miles in 11 minutes) but anything over that I’d struggle to get much below 7 minute miles.
    The guys I could ride and swim with in the tri club would be putting in 33-36 minute 10ks whilst I only once got below 40.

I assume that must be down to genetic factors?

phil.w
    Free Member

Any pace would be good at the moment. I haven’t been able to run since the beginning of December. 😥 there goes all my speed 👿

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How easy would it be to get up to marathon distance from now to the London 2012?

And how easy would it be to get £1750 in sponsorship?

phil.w
    Free Member

Not hard just to be able to do the distance. The question is how fast do you want to run it?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dunno. Just had an e-mail offering a place in this years.

aracer
    Free Member

I believe that 6 minute miles marks the boundary between seroius athletes and mere mortals.

Depends how far you’re running. Doing 6 minute miles for a marathon is way beyond serious athlete, and would get you a guaranteed championship start at London. I had an ambition at one point to do a half in 6 minute miles, and set off at that pace in one race, but it all went wrong after about 5 (realistically I wasn’t in that sort of condition)! Though I have managed sub-6 pace for a 10k a few times (if I’m allowed to willy wave on here, 10k PB of 35:30).

Realistically, if you’re not training seriously for running, sub 8 minute miles over a reasonable distance is pretty decent. Though comparing speeds with others is to some extent a bit pointless – unless you’re racing, just compare your own times and maybe aim to get quicker. Also not every session should be going as fast as you can – that way lies ruin.

When I ran regularly I used to find that I could put in respectable times for short distances (1 mile in 5 minutes, 2 miles in 11 minutes) but anything over that I’d struggle to get much below 7 minute miles.
    The guys I could ride and swim with in the tri club would be putting in 33-36 minute 10ks whilst I only once got below 40.

I assume that must be down to genetic factors?

Maybe – though physiologically there’s not a huge difference between 2 miles and 10k, so more likely just that you either weren’t trained to run that fast for that long, or that it was simply a mental thing. A 5 minute mile is pretty serious – that’s as fast as I’ve ever gone for 1 mile, and I’ve given my 10k time above! Though actually even the slow down from 1 mile to 2 seems excessive, given my similar 1 mile time but that I could run 2 in ~10:40.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well.. did a lot better today. Nice strong running and averaged 8’02 – so close! Best mile was 7’31 and best 5k was 24’51

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/36297498

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fair play Mol. I’ve got a spangly new garmin that I need to take out for a run… not sure I’ll post the map on the web though…

flap_jack
    Free Member

TBH if you’re 15st you’re not suited for distance running. Careful with those knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone…

ackie
    Free Member

A certain tendon in my knee hurts after about 25 mins of running. Exterior collateral ligament,

Molgrips it’s most probably ITBand syndrome. I suffer from the same thing. Excruciating pain on the outside of my knees after a couple of miles running.
    Basically my legs are as tights as a builder’s fist. When I feel the pain I stop running, hobble home and stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Especially the IT band, which is infuriatingly difficult to stretch.

I’m just getting back into running and am going out and doing 3 mile runs very other day and then stretching like a mother. I ran a 1hr 29min half marathon 2 years ago. No chance of that at the moment.

I find it’s all about conditioning your legs to pounding they get, when you first start running seriously.

Jamie
    Free Member

Fair play Mol. I’ve got a spangly new garmin that I need to take out for a run… not sure I’ll post the map on the web though…

*assembles stalking kit*

Oh go on!

…but seriously, I would recommend starting/stopping your garmin a couple of mins from the home/work, just for privacy/security reasons.

TiRed

Especially the IT band, which is infuriatingly difficult to stretch

It’s not that hard. Lie on bed. Place foot of offending side on the outside of other knee. Pull offending leg down with opposite arm. Hold for 10 sec. Release for 10 sec. Repeat as needed.

maxray
    Free Member

Hmmpf, a way to go for me, 30min 5ks there or there abouts and a 1.06 10k. Only been doing it for five weeksor so, really enjoying it and its helping shift some lard which is the main thing!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Basically my legs are as tights as a builder’s fist. When I feel the pain I stop running, hobble home and stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Especially the IT band, which is infuriatingly difficult to stretch

are you stretching before the run too?

Ewan
    Free Member

I used to have horrible problems with my IT band – no matter what stretches I did. Then I discovered the joys of a firm foam roller 😀 I quite enjoy the feeling now 😮

footflaps

I used to be able to do 6 min/mile 10ks 15 years ago, but now just jog round nearer 7.5-8 m/m and have no idea how I managed to go faster – probably a combination of youth and determination….

geologist
    Free Member

Back in the day when I was in the RAF an practically a full time runner, I ran a half at 5:55 pace.

The key to running quicker at all distances is speed work. You need to introduce 1 or 2 speed sessions a week. Something like 8 x 400, or 4/5 x 800m. However your current fitness will determine when you add these sessions into your training.

Im now 12 years older than when I ran at that pace, and 3 stone heavier 🙁 , but still expect to run at 7 minute mile pace. I would say that for 10K to half marathon, a good pace for a ‘middle age’ person, who is starting running for the first time in thier life, of average – good fitness would be 8 minute mile pace

Can I reccomend a book called the Lore of Running. Its the runners bible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lore-Running-Tim-Noakes/dp/0873229592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327999100&sr=8-1

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For you Jamie…. anything.

theteaboy
    Free Member

flap_jack – Member
    Careful with those knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone…

I hate biting at these, but…. Source?

‘Science’ would suggest otherwise:
    “Thus, our observations suggest that a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities.” – http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short

See also: http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&q=runner+knee+long-term&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

As you were.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I hate biting at these, but…. Source?

‘everyone’s free to where sun-screen’

all the 60 year-olds i know who don’t exercise are fat old people – basically indistinguishable from 80 year-olds.

all the 60 year-olds i know who do exercise are a little bit creaky, but hard as nails.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just been listening to that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he was talking about being 15st and running a lot, rather than just running.

IanMunro
    Free Member

all the 60 year-olds i know who don’t exercise are fat old people – basically indistinguishable from 80 year-olds.

http://sweatscience.com/the-incredible-unaging-triathlete/

I prefer this though 😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

“gravel gravel gravel!”

lolz

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I did a half marathon last year in 1.55, training went a bit wrong leading up to it and I like to think that I could maybe do it in 1.50.
    I do 10k in about 50 minutes, but I wouldn’t really say I’m a runner as such. I do it to keep the weight down and general fitness up and to get out and do something during the week, but I’m not really interested in improving my times.

Does help riding though I think.

Travis

Ewan – I see what you mean, it’s a nice pain isn’t it?

Is anyone using Strava for their running?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Runners….. What's a good average running pace?’ is closed to new replies.