Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Runners; what GPS/HRM ?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Looking for something to track my runs with, but would also like to have a HRM function if it doesn’t add too much to the cost.

As a bonus a HRM that could link to my Garmin 800 would be great, I don’t currently have a HRM/Cadence sensors with my 800.

angusaitken
    Free Member

Like anything it depends on budget.

I have a Garmin forerunner 410 which i have had for nearly a year and get on with pretty well. This model is out of date now ( and was when i bought it so the price was pretty tidy ) but the features are pretty similar to the current range. Assuming you are already using garmin connect with the 800 it may make sense to stick with the brand so you easily get all your data in one place.

The sensors you are talking about use ant+ so you should be able to share between the 800. I would deffinatly recomend getting a device that supports ant+ even if you dont get the sensors when you buy as you can always get them later on. A HRM is useful at times and makes a useful training tool, if your running in built up areas a lot you may also want to look into a foot pod!

This website has very indepth reviews of pretty much everything so should see you right… http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

superfli
    Free Member

I got a 305FR with HRM for £75 off ebay a few months ago. Its been excellent on the bike and on my writs for running.
    Plenty on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-305-with-heart-rate-monitor-/321284628762?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item4ace0e611a

CraigW
    Free Member

For a simple and cheap model, the Forerunner 110 is fine. Fairly small/lightweight, and will show you distance, pace, heart rate, time, and will record a track for downloading to a PC. Though it doesn’t have any sort of training features, eg intervals.

All of the Garmin heart rate straps are ANT+, so would also work fine with the Edge 800.

jam-bo

smartphone and BT HRM?

my topeak panobike HRM was about £40 and works perfectly with strava etc.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I’ll have a read of those reviews, budget is around £150.

Seen the Garmin Forerunner 310XT with strap for £158, which appeals.

Not keen on the smartphone option, used to run with one but just annoys me when running, to bulky and I don’t normally have any pockets.

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM from CRC which was £134 when using the £10 off discount code (granted, this is a refurb)

Reviews look pretty good if all your after is a running watch.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Depending on what you want it for you could use your 800. All you need is one of the garmin hr straps and one of the quick release kits for their tri watches. The kit (for the 910 I think but you’d need to check) has a watch strap with the standard garmin mount on. It’s a cheap way to try it out without buying another device at the very least.

I’d steer clear of the 110 personally I’ve found both mine to be less than useless most of the time.

Iain

paul4stones

I’ve just got the 310xt for Christmas. All my friends have them. Long battery life. Some friends are on their 2nd or 3rd because of problems but garmin just send another out. Great piece of kit.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have a Foreunner 210 with HRM and I think it is an excellent piece of kit. The only problem is I find the “clamp” style charging a but hit and miss: It usually takes some wiggling around to get the thing to start charging.

I also use the HRM and stopwatch functions on the turbo trainer.

piemonster

Garmin 310xt is a good bit of kit, picked one up a month or so back and really like it.

Bit of a lump, I never forget I’m wearing it but not to the point of irritation.

The HRM seems better than others I’ve used.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

garmin 910xt…. mmmmmm! if you swim as well its genius. few guys in my club have them and swear by them. i’m just waiting for a deal and i’ll buy one too. annoyingly i thought i’d wait til after xmas and now the best price is 20quid more than a week ago.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    Pieface

I doubt you’ll get interoperability with your Garmin units but I guess it depends what you want to do. The only thing that may allow this may be something like the FR620.

I bought the FR220 recently and was woefully disappointed in the lack of interoperability between it and other devices. It still needs a cable to connect with my computer, and although its got Bluetooth 4.0 enabled it will only work with an iPhone, not with a dongle on my computer. Garmin Tech support are a bit pants.

However what I do get is a very nice, almost watch like unit for recording my runs. I wouldn’t get overly concerned about the HRM unless you currently analyse it from your rides.

If you want to use it for Nav look at Suunto, generally they do everything better than Garmin but are quite big (Ambit 2).

If all you want is something to track your runs go for the 110 unless you want to set up workouts, analyse HR and so on.

Soleus do a lot of cheap n cheerful ones but they’re quite bulky.

ross980
    Free Member

Something Garmin. Previous year’s mid range model from Amazon is probably a good bet. I really like my 405cx even though it’s been superseded… twice (maybe more). Much better and more accurate than the smartphone option ime.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Took the plunge on a 310XT, £158 on Amazon and seems to do everything that I want & more.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Runners; what GPS/HRM ?’ is closed to new replies.