Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Runners: Sore toes?
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Hi all

So I’ve been doing a few short&sweet runs every second day over the past two weeks (2x 2miles each time) to ease my legs into running so I can start doing longer runs (training for marathon).

I had really bad shin splints to start with, but going by advice on teh internets I just made sure I stretched before and after and kept going. I’ve had shoes fitted at a running shop, but as far as I can gather the two things they look for are room for your toes and a straight shoe when your foot strikes (heel perpendicular to floor when viewed from behind). This flagged up that my feet were previously over-supported, so my arch was being given too much of a lift and was rotating my foot outwards.

Shin splints less of an issue two weeks on, but my toes are SORE. Just feels like the wee joints in each toe on each foot (except the big toe, strangely) are bruised/cramped all the time, including just now while I’m sat in bed.

I’m trying to come up with an explanation as to why my wee tootsies are so sore, and what I could do to alleviate the problem both now and in future runs. So far I’ve got:
    – not enough cushioning in shoes (tough, can’t afford another pair and they’re a pain to source in my size anyway)
    – toes getting used to new load as a result of changed shoes and less arch support (will get better with time then)
    – poor technique (?)

Anyone that’s more experienced than me got any insight? Someone tell me this is normal…

Cheers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well.

When i started trail running an endurance marathon friend of mine gave me one piece of advice:

Spread your toes out when you run.

Most, he said, curl them up and try to grip the shoe. He elaborated by saying shoes should fit around the ankle and instep/arch and be long enough for your toes to not hit the toecap when running.

I’ve never experienced your problem, I’ve had plenty of other problems but not sore toes.. well, I have lost toe nails, but that’s another story.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What socks are you wearing? How are your nails trimmed?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

As above, you’re probably squeezing/squashing them without realising it. You could put some zinc oxide tape on them like a plaster if you want to see if it helps? It may just be something you’re going through whilst you get used to it all…

I think I must do something similar on hill runs as one of mine on each foot goes black but doesn’t on flatter road runs.

poltheball
    Free Member

Went the whole hog with regards socks, got fancy “Hilly Monoskin” doodahs while I was in the shop. Good salesman convinced me that my shoes were useless without them, and for some reason I decided to buy them there and then as opposed to online for half the price. Doing my bit for the local economy and all that…

It’s entirely possible that I am scrunching my toes up, not aware of anything but tbh I’m more focussed on trying to get correct posture whilst running to avoid shin splints just now so I could be subconsciously scrunching them up. I’ll try making an effort to run with my toes spread out and see if I have any luck.

Zinc oxide tape…? What would that do?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shinsplints already…Maybe too much running too soon?

I’d have thought easing into it means not getting stuff like this.

monde
    Free Member

Are you fell running or going uphill a lot? My feet got a battering when I first started as running uphill put more emphasis on the toes. Took a month or two to get stronger and concentrating to relax the feet!

mattyfez

Maybe lay off a bit, recovery time is just as important as training. Especially if you are upping intensity or duration from what you are used to.

poltheball
    Free Member

My runs are pretty much flat just now. The plan is to run little and often for a few weeks to get my legs/feet used to it, and then start gradually increasing the distance when I feel I’m ready.

I’m getting decent recovery periods as well – only running every second day, and taking the weekends off. The long term plan is to run my commute 3 days a week (2 miles in, 2 miles back) and then do a longer run on the Sat or Sun. The rest of the time will be rest days. Cross training with a bit of bike riding on the off days as well as a bit of badminton.

I’m still curious about the zinc oxide tape?

loum
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s normal, but you’re not alone.
    I get sore toes too. And still haven’t figured it out.
    Not the big one or the little one, but between.

It feels a bit like “toe cramp” but they’re not tight like cramp normally, and the pain feels like it’s more in the bone weirdly.
    The don’t clench advice above makes sense.

I’ve found having my trainers looser than you would really expect helps a little. “splay space” helps .
    Next time I’ll try going up half a size too and try that as space really seems to help. It’s not that my shoes are too small, but I do think I’ve got pretty strange shaped hooves/feet. V Wide, high arches and insteps, short er big and little toes.

Been training recently and on a few runs its the sore toes that have stopped me before legs or fitness.
    Fortunately, the distance I run before they go sore has been gradually increasing enough that I managed to complete my first Half marathon last Sunday 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP 12 miles a week may be quite a lot for your body if you’ve not done it before.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Runners: Sore toes?’ is closed to new replies.