Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Runners, do you like listening to music whilst you run?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

If so what are you listening too? I'm a bit bored of my collection, so looking for a refresh with some new ideas.

What do you listen too? Not talking about the effort sessions (Ihave a playlist for those) just the long hours getting in the base miles.

Recommendations please.

BB

heresjonny
    Free Member

NO WAY never have never will, do you listen to music when you cycle !!

surfer
    Free Member

All the years of running I have never listened to music whilst running but occasionaly now I listen to the radio (football matches or radio4) or now and again music.

Only on easy runs or long runs when I am on my own.

Proper training never, I need to hear my heart trying to escape from my chest, otherwise where is the fun?

AndyP
    Free Member

I do enjoy some classical when I'm just 'out for a run'. If I'm doing a speedwork session, then yep, specific playlist.

yes

finbar
    Free Member

Nope, i like to listen to the birds/bees/traffic. Also i rarely run alone.

Jamie
    Free Member

I always run with music, if i am pushing myself then a bit of DnB and if its just a slow run then maybe a podcast or something, but always have headphones in.

…and yes i am the same on my bike.

iDave
    Free Member

yes, iPox shuffle, as i hate running so much

also on long bike rides if i don't want to think about life

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

HJ and Finbar, why don't you start your own thread "Runners who don't listen to music"? Might get a bit boring with numpties writing in saying "I don't", Neither do I" etc etc………………

;0)

BB

organic355
    Free Member

I use THIS sometimes.

If you like your dance music, it aint bad, its on itunes and you can also listen here

IanMunro
    Free Member

I did a couple of hours of Cinematic Orchestra on Sunday. That was quite good for keeping the pace down.

organic355
    Free Member

I did a couple of hours of Cinematic Orchestra on Sunday. That was quite good for keeping the pace down

Yeah, but "All things to all men" with roots Manuva would have me sprinting!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Just find the Podrunner website – a bloke puts up free hour long mixes that are to a constant BPM so very good for maintaining that pace. I use them a lot on treadmills, cross trainers and on a turbo.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Yes more oftern than not. You can't hear yourself huffing and puffing, until you cough up a lung! And when I'm on me bike also.

willard

Always. I get a little bored otherwise.

get some Hard House/Hard Trance or some nice DnB on and the miles will fly by.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I stick the ipod on shuffle, its great when differnt genres come on, bit of DnB and you speed up, chilled stuff and you slow down!!!

And i always listen to tunes on the roadie too….

nicko74

I did for training – a double album of Carter or the Pixies if it was 2 hours or less; the radio (TMS or football) or some podcasts if it was longer. For the race itself headphones weren't allowed, so I guess I just concentrated on…. I'm not sure what.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Allways..

And nearly allways when I'm on my bike.. Be it on or off road..
    Just use my Iphone and have a bit of LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad for company.. Helps the miles go buy.

cxi
    Free Member

Always take my iPod when I'm running solo (also use Nike+).

Steady pace runs vary music-wise but if I going for it, then it's dance/house/trance/DnB.

I have a specific playlist for two half marathons I did earlier this year. Starts steady and ramps up from around 1:30 with stuff like The Prodigy and DnB to try to inspire me (and forgot the pain).

toby1

On my running shuffle you will find:

Your Demise
    Alexisonfire
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Everytime I die
    Thrice
    And a little Leftfield just to mix it all up.

It's pretty much all angry hardcore/post-hardcore (metalish stuff) or whatever the current genre name is for it. Keeps me lumbering along for the allotted time. On a bike I've never been a headphones user.

ransos
    Free Member

I wish they wouldn't listen to music. They run three-abreast, completely blocking the shared path on the way home. They can't hear my bell or my polite request to get past. Then when they finally notice me, they jump about a foot in the air. I even had one complain that I should have sounded my bell. Twunts.

coffeeking
    Free Member

How odd. I dont run much but when I do I HAVE to have music or I get bored and worn down by the trudging noise.

And cycling, yes, unless I'm in a group. Certainly on road. Probably less likely off-road.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

I can't run with headphones on. Spoils my rhythm.

backhander
    Free Member

bit of MSTRKRFT keeps me sane. I get bored listening to cars.

djglover
    Free Member

Always, did all my 10K training and the race with repetative beats. I found it really helped focus.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Though I hate it normally, happy hardcore paces my commuting.

higgo
    Free Member

Running: Often, including speed work. I don't run to the beat so rarely have a problem with whatever shuffle turns up.

Cycling: Never off-road (dunno why not but never fancied it). Often on road. I've taken to listening to Gilles Peterson podcasts on longer road rides. It's a bit like driving with the radio on – sometimes I'm actively listening to it, sometimes I'm enjoying my surroundings, thinking about life etc and it's just on un-noticed in the background.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Sorry, don't get the running / cycling listening to music thing.(turbo training side) Whatever happened to the sounds of nature or being aware of your surroundings? 😕

surfer
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky with all this new fangled headphone/ipod stuff.

Dave Bedford used to run carrying a portable transistor radio! I suppose running over 200mpw you need something !

edit: only occasionally of course.

Jamie
    Free Member

tankslapper:
    Sorry, don't get the running / cycling listening to music thing.(turbo training side) Whatever happened to the sounds of nature or being aware of your surroundings?

Monotony is what happens. Also i know for a fact certain music will make me perform better.

Different for everyone tho.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sorry, don't get the running / cycling listening to music thing.(turbo training side) Whatever happened to the sounds of nature or being aware of your surroundings?

The sounds of nature are generally not audible over my panting and the clanging of chains and bikes. The sounds of the commute are quite boring and I use my eyes to be aware of traffic, it's far more predictable than guessing with your ears.

andybach
    Free Member

Never ever when cycling – just too dangerous and distracting – imho.

But running i usually do – generally so i can't hear my heart thumping – plus it gives you an extra boost when you need to look impressive.

I used to do a bit of fell running but never took music – (pre MP3) days – plus usually had at least one dog with me so had to concentrate on them.

Currently a little SKA is my favourite for keeping moving.

emac65
    Free Member

Never listen to music when I run,cycle or use the turbo.IMO (& it might just be my opinion) it makes you mentally stronger to push yourself without any external influences,esp on the turbo !!!

tankslapper
    Free Member

emac – I know that's what the experts say, but turbo training requires something by Dave Grohl surely? 😉

Mike-E

this week I am listening to Queens of the Stone Age, Era Vulgaris.

allthepies
    Free Member

Make sure you turn the tunez up really loud, adopt a blocking position on the track/trail you're running on and then squeal like a girl when a cyclist who's been trying to get your attention gets bored and rides past you.

😉

spacemonkey

Usually house/trance/clubby stuff, especially the likes of Northern Exposure, etc.

Good spot from TooTall for the podrunner link – never heard of this before, but am now downloading the latest mix.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

have a wander over to indie soup runner

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Great recommendation technicallyinept, I am going to check it out.

My MP3 player is mostly DnB, a little bit of Murderdolls (they amuse me) and Rage Against the Machine. Works for me.

wee-al
    Free Member

Amon Tobin seems to be perfect for me.

alpin
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Runners, do you like listening to music whilst you run?’ is closed to new replies.