Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Run Flat Tyres – Would you bother?
  • Killer
    Free Member

Just got hold of a 2007 plate BMW for long journeys (alps etc). and in keeping with most modern cars, didn’t have a spare but did have 4 run flats on them.

2 of which need replacing.

I have already acquired a space saver spare wheel (call me old fashioned, but didn’t like the idea of zero spares when in France).

However still nervous about not having a full size spare

So the question is, should I bother getting two more run flats like they’re fitted or should I get some non run-flats?

Are there any other advantages / disadvantages I am missing?

WWSTWD?

mattyfez

I’ve no experience with run flats but from what I’ve heard the main reason for people swapping to normal tyres is the handling /ride characteristics.

So I’d say if that doesn’t bother you, stay with the run flats?

wwaswas

I’ve stuck with run flats on my BMW of the same age. I’ve got a 5 series Touring and there does seem to be enough room under the boot floor for a full size wheel to be used as a spare but I’ve not bothered.

They seem to be a about a third more expensive than the equivalent non run-flat so not a huge premium.

run flats do have stiffer sidewalls so you may notice a change in ride quality if you switch.

Advice seems to be to change all 4 to non-run flats if you do switch rather than an axle at a time.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Our old BMW X1 had run flat tyres. Hateful things but we stuck with them as the car was on PCP finance. Apparently you have to inform your insurance if you change to standard tyres as you are technically “modifying” your car. Some folk do and some don’t. Some BMW suspension is set up specifically for run flat tyres too.
    If we had kept our BMW we would have got rid of the bloody things. Only had the car 2 months and got a puncture. Run flats can’t be repaired so a new tyre was needed. 👿

johnners
    Free Member

If I was happy with the ride I’d stick with RFs. 2 of mine will need replacing soon and I’m probably going to go with Bridgestone Driveguard, they’re not too pricy and apparently fairly compliant for RFs.

I don’t see a great deal of point in a space saver spare if you’ve got RFs. It may get you to a garage if you’ve sidewall damage but other than that they’re just as range and speed limited as a punctured RF.

geoffj

I have 19″ runflats on my 14 plate 3 series.
    I’ll be swapping to 18″ wheels with conventional tyres when they need changing – next 6 months.
    With 19″ wheels it’s hard to know if it’s just the size or the harder run flat side walls which make the ride poor.
    When I looked into it, there was a question around if the same wheels could be used for conventional tyres without it qualifying as a modification if the car was shod with the run flats as standard equipment.
    I’ve decided to replace the wheels anyway, so its a non issue for me, but you might want to speak to your insurer.

Edit – what monkeys feet said, although some run flats can be repaired IIRC

pushbikerider
    Free Member

I can recommend switching to standard tyres having done so on my 5 series estate (and getting a space saver for the boot).

Run flats gave a bone hard ride like the tyres were filled with concrete. The car also had a neat party trick of ‘hopping’ six inches to the left or right over certain sized bumps which made me crap myself the first time it did it!

And yes, as wwaswas says, you’ll need to do all four tyres at once if you’re switching. Running a mix of tyres on the car isn’t recommended as it can give it weird/dangerous handling…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been told that BMW have ditched run-flats themselves due to the affect on emissions and fuel economy as they’re significantly heavier than normal tyres they have an impact on fuel efficiently and emissions.

So normal tyres are quieter, comfier, nicer to drive on, lower fuel consumption and emissions, and the fact you can only swap to run flats if you’re changing all four tyres (you can’t mix and match), then I’m struggling to see a case for them given you might get a puncture once every 15 years of driving. Better to carry a couple of cans of the tyre weld stuff and make sure you have AA/RAC or whatever cover that covers flat tyres.

I changed the wife’s 1 series over to normal tyres from run flats recently and they feel much nicer, and significantly lower road noise. The on-board MPG computer is not sensitive enough to credit much in the way of improved fuel consumption, but the OEM’s are working with much more accurate and calibrated rolling roads when they justify their claimed MPG and emissions figures to the powers at be. I just put a couple of cans of tyre weld in the boot and we do have flat tyre coverage on our breakdown cover.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5 series Touring and there does seem to be enough room under the boot floor for a full size wheel to be used as a spare

I thought that too but you’d be wrong! It’s really close but no matter how much internal trim you remove it doesn’t quite fit under the floor. It also doesn’t fit in the rear footwell so the only option is to have it in the boot. I do a lot of driving up and down the country so I put the spare alloy in the car when I have space to avoid getting stuck anywhere waiting for a tyre shop to open the next day.

My car has run-flats on standard 17″ rims and I think the handling/ride is superb, I see no reason to change. That’s a 45 section tyre though, with a lower profile such as 30/35 I suspect any tyre is going to be harsh.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

With 19″ wheels it’s hard to know if it’s just the size or the harder run flat side walls which make the ride poor.

Both!

As for the spare dilemma, get some tyre plugs. It’s what the RAC/AA use and it’ll likely get you to the next tyre fitter without too much fuss.

CountZero

I drove a 4-Series that the bloke leasing it was thrilled to be handing back, because of the harsh, noisy ride; he was perfectly correct, too, it was horrible. I drove a Mini Cooper coupé, which had run flats on, I couldn’t hear the radio it was so noisy.
    The majority of cars I drive seem to have inflation kits fitted, some have spares, either full size or space-savers, but the few with run-flats I’m generally not impressed with, at least on BMW/Mini, they do turn up on some MPV’s and SUV’s, but the larger profile and greater volume offset the harshness of the ride.

chestrockwell

Our 1 series has run flats and can’t really say they’re a problem. It’s a lovely car to travel in and drive.

tenfoot

I have run flats on 18″ wheels on a 3 series. They’re fine. We had one repaired a short while back too, with no issues.

Yak

We’ve had run flats in the past on a 3 series and I thought they were fine. Obviously the ability to be not changing tyres/dicking about with sealant and compressors in dangerous locations is well worth it.

Anyway that car went a few years ago and this week my wife missed my kids annual school play with a flat. Not fixable, no spare and instead a 2hr wait for a mobile tyre van. She was gutted.

My preference would be for run flats. 2nd preference would be a full sized spare. Pram wheels, sealant and compressors can go and do one imo.

MartynS

got a puncture. Run flats can’t be repaired so a new tyre was needed

Another repair here..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

19’s on a 3 series with run flats here. I think there are probably smoother F1 cars out there.

Had 18’s & 19’s on a 5 series. also with Run flats. Same as above. Ride is staggeringly bad. Not just from a harshness perspective, but horrendous for tramlining, and general feel for the road.

As soon as they are worn, back to normal tyres.

LittleNose
    Free Member

The car also had a neat party trick of ‘hopping’ six inches to the left or right over certain sized bumps which made me crap myself the first time it did it!

this

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Run Flat Tyres – Would you bother?’ is closed to new replies.