Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rumble in the Jungle/When We Were Kings – Question
  • hora
    Free Member

Brilliant Documentary. I bought it last week and of course I was aware of the some of the detail of the event and the outcome however the film/documentary is brilliant even for a non-boxing fan.

With that eye cut, I bet Foreman couldn’t have trained fully for the 6 week delay could he? He would have been limited due to the stitches.

So would he have won if it wasn’t for the elbow strike from his sparring partner?

higgo
    Free Member

No

jp-t853

I agree it is a wonderful film. I did ask myself the same question during the fight but I lost focus on that as I saw the ‘Rope a Dope’ routine unfold. I had heard the phrase many many times before as a child of the seventies but I didn’t realise that it meant Ali getting the crap knocked out of him for most of the fight.

Foreman looked in superb form during the first half of the fight I am not sure if anyone could have done more so his training must have gone pretty well. Maybe he would have burned out more quickly if the training had been more intense.

hora
    Free Member

Practice sparring- how important is that into the mix of preparing for a fight? (Question as I’m a newbie). I imagine Foreman would have been severely restricted?

BoardinBob

Brilliant Documentary. I bought it last week and of course I was aware of the some of the detail of the event and the outcome however the film/documentary is brilliant even for a non-boxing fan.

With that eye cut, I bet Foreman couldn’t have trained fully for the 6 week delay could he? He would have been limited due to the stitches.

So would he have won if it wasn’t for the elbow strike from his sparring partner?

He would still have trained properly, they would just have protected the eye with head gear and bandages in sparring. The eye wouldn’t have last in the fight though, hence the delay. He punched himself out so it was a fitness issue, plus his fights rarely went beyond 2 or 3 rounds, so he wasn’t really conditioned for the trap Ali lay.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. Healthwise Mohammed was really ill a couple of weeks ago wasn’t he? Hes only 70 🙁

On a lighter note- I LOVED Ali’s jive-talking. Funny as 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Hora – watch the Foreman v Frazier and Ken Norton fights (they’re on youtube)

Foreman was considered such a force then, that he probably thought whatever training he did, he could beat Ali (who struggled with Frazier and Norton – 3 times each!).

(Ps. for a real treat: Foreman v Ron Lyle – most amazing fight ever)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rumble in the Jungle/When We Were Kings – Question’ is closed to new replies.