Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rules of the slope please
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Been riding bikes a while but just really started using the accepted MTB routes. Today I popped out to Sainsbury’s but thought I’d cycle out to Letcombe for a beer before shopping and lawn mowing. The pub was shut so one thing lead to another, I cycled up to Segsbury Camp wandered to White Horse Hill then back and and ended up descending Corkscrew which seemed full of riders coming the other way. Well two groups to be honest. The first were at the top and slow moving but when I cleared them I found a group of half a dozen coming up the hill. They were a bit spread across the track and I was descending rather quickly across the ‘interesting’ surface (I am a noob remember) and without a helmet (just popped out to Sainsbury’s). The guys coming up the hill didn’t seem to keen to move to the other side of the track initially but it all went fine so no problem except I’d really like guidelines on what the common rules are in this situation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can’t say slope here, you know!

😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You’ll be banning the C word next. Well darn you all: Cashmere!!!!!

Pook

I always give way for folks descending in top gear. Seems mean to ruin their fun.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The CPN was too quick!

Drac

Just stop and say hello it’s all about building bridges.

matt_outandabout

No rules. Just good common old common sense, and a friendly demeanor.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Just good common old common sense

Ahhhhhhhhh thats soooooooooooooooooo last year……. Ignorance and selfishness are the new common sense. 😆

matt_outandabout

My bad.

( 😉 )

tmb467
    Free Member

Props to Matt

taxi25
    Free Member

I always try to make room for someone descending. It’s always appreciated when people do for me so I try to do the same.
    Not sure if I wasn’t wearing a helmet I’d think people should make more of an effort. Wouldn’t even enter my head !!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good work, Pook!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The helmet business entered my head but I wouldn’t expect anyone to make allowances for my decision. It was purely selfish concern on my part about changing my line at some point at speed to woork around the group when I was descending at a speed at my limit whilst being ill-quipped.
    In no way the fault or responsibility of the riders ascending.
    Just wondered if there was an equivalent of surf rules.

beej

I always give way to people climbing – it’s much harder for them to get started again. I like a good technical climb though so maybe I’m just applying my own preference.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I must admit, riding in public areas, I think of the climber as having right of way as you would on the road with all else being equal. In said public space, I don’t go full blatt around what I can’t see. However, I do enjoy clearing a technical challenging climb.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OK. Right of way to climbers. Sorted. Ta.

mrmo
    Free Member

right of way to climbers, you can re-start your decent far more easily than they can.

Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

It is the highway code, but as bridleways are highways i think it still makes sense.

JoeG
    Free Member

IMBA Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the “Rules of the Trail” to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

1.Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.

2. Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don’t cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

3.Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.

4.Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you’re coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

5.Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.

6.Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

scotroutes

My “rule” is to give way to climbers as it’s harder to get started again when going up steep hills.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Give way to the quicker rider.

Up or down.

In front and coming towards you or behind and gaining on you.

They are the rules I follow, wish more folk would too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Difficult one as the descent is the fun bit stopping kills your rythm. That being said when grinding up a tough ascent stopping kills your momentum and it can be hard to get going. If its so steep people are pushing up then they give way. Otherwise the descender.

scotroutes

Good call!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rules of the slope please’ is closed to new replies.