• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by juan.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rugged smarphone
  • juan
    Free Member

Hello all

looks like it is time to replace my good old Defy.
    The current choice is
    Caterpillar B15
    Quecha phone 5
    Crosscall Odissey

jam-bo

iphone + lifeproof case.

juan
    Free Member

Iphone is out of the question… And I want something that I can use easily in all sort of weather.
    But thanks anyway

stumpyjon

Samsung S4 active? Works under water, better battery than I’ve seen for a long time. Like mine a lot.

juan
    Free Member

Can I drop it on the floor or smash it on the wall?

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ll ask my colleague – he’s got some bombproof/waterproof/everything proof Android handset for the outdoors.

juan
    Free Member

Cheers xiphon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I drop it on the floor or smash it on the wall?

Do you actually plan on doing a lot of that sort of thing? If so, might I recommend buying two phones?

1 – Whichever new phone you like the look of and then
    2 – One of these, for your throwing moods;

xiphon
    Free Member

“Samsung XCover 2” is the model.

juan
    Free Member

CFH Mine feel of from the roof of the car countless number of time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, if you look carefully, mon vieux, there’s a little velcro strap there to stop that sort of thing happening again! 😉

I’d say it sounds like user training might be more useful than phone strengthening here! 🙂

rollodes
    Free Member

sony xperia active. Cheap as chips nowerdays, small, waterproof.

juan
    Free Member

LOL at CFH, it’s just that I don’t want to care about my phone. And whenI get pissed off with the lack of network coverage I do sometime throw it on the floor.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m after something similar. I need an extended battery capability though for long weekend trips with full GPS. I currently have a Motorola Defy with a bulging back cover that defeats it’s water resistance somewhat. Anything same as OPs request but will take a battery pack? I upgrade in June, anything coming up soon?

Sorry for thread hijack but I think OP and I are after similar things…

steezysix
    Free Member

I just got a Quechua phone – early days but really liking it so far. It’s reassuringly big and chunky but is probably heavier than other models if that makes a difference to you. Works really well for things like OSM+ mapping software and is pretty good for watching videos/surfing the web. Battery life seems really good, full charge on Thursday night, been using it a fair bit since then (including GPS) and it’s still at 34%. I’d say the camera is adequate rather than brilliant but that doesn’t really bother me too much.

hs125
    Free Member

+1 for Sony Xperia. They do a few waterproof phones, including the Z1. If the phone is waterproof, you can put it into a rubber case when out and about and need it to bounce if dropped, but not look like Bob the Builder the rest of the time, yet never have to worry about rain or using it with wet hands.

Slogo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCxB6m26Jgc[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you find the floor improves your signal.

Mean while my iphone in griffin defender has been dropped by accident alot…..

welshfarmer

Can I put in a vote for the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2. Had mine now for a couple of months. Basically a Galaxy S2 under the rugged case. Waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes (I use it in the bath and it gets a wash at the same time). Can be dropped on Concrete from 6 metres (not tried it yet but have dropped it a few times). Has good GPS on it with A-GPS and Glonass. Good HD video. Only thing I feel lets it down is the 5MP camera which has not impressed me yet. The 5MP on my old HTC was far better. I bought it for around £200 notes sim free. I think Vodafone do them on business contract but at mega bucks. Plenty of (attempted) destruction tests on Google.

rockhopperbike

welshfarmer – Member
    Can I put in a vote for the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2. Had mine now for a couple of months. Basically a Galaxy S2 under the rugged case. Waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes (I use it in the bath and it gets a wash at the same time). Can be dropped on Concrete from 6 metres (not tried it yet but have dropped it a few times). Has good GPS on it with A-GPS and Glonass. Good HD video. Only thing I feel lets it down is the 5MP camera which has not impressed me yet. The 5MP on my old HTC was far better. I bought it for around £200 notes sim free. I think Vodafone do them on business contract but at mega bucks. Plenty of (attempted) destruction tests on Google.

ditto – had one of them for around 10months, pretty good- as you say poor camera – but other than that – no problem

juan
    Free Member

Interesting the “cheap” rugged phone on amazon. Anyone with more infos?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rugged smarphone’ is closed to new replies.